Requesting Updates for the Popular Quad Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark,

I think I've stumbled upon a couple of olde quad matrix albums , via a discogs sleuthing.
At least I think they may be previously unknown ...that is unless you have them well hidden on the Quad Discography ...as I have searched , but none of these are there ? All are EV-4 btw.
I think all 3 belong on the popular listing , as they seem to be Jazz Oriented.
Thanks Fizzy, A Ebay listing confirmed the 1st one with pictures and has been added to the Anthology / Sampler discography

1971 Florida All State High School Band Orchestra , Chorus-Stage-Band
Silver Crest Records FLSE -1971 3 LP Quad BOX SET EV-4
1971 Florida All State Senior Hs. Crest Records FLSE -1971a.jpg

1971 Florida All State Senior Hs. Crest Records FLSE -1971d.jpg

And the two below have been added to the Popular Discography

Leon Breedon - A Jazz Clinic, Crest College Jazz Series , North Tennessee State University Jazz Lab Band
Crest Records CSB -1003 LP EV-4

P.M.A. Jazz Ensemble , Crest College Jazz Series , Evan Solot Director
Crest Records CSB -1002 LP EV-4

I came across one more of these Silver Crest titles in my travels, All Japan Girls High School Band from 1974. Unlike the others, I think, this one is SQ - I can't find a catalog number anywhere on the sleeve though the labels do say ABA74-4A & 4B.

silvercrest-1.jpgsilvercrest-2.jpgsilvercrest-3.jpgsilvercrest-4.jpg

ETA: You need to register for a (free) archive.org account to view it in full, but this book appears to have a full (or somewhat full) accounting of Golden/Silver Crest's school band LPs:

https://archive.org/details/recordedconcertb0000rasm/
I don't think it says whether or not the records are quad encoded or not, but at least having some titles/catalog numbers would provide a starting point for research.

Last edited:
Great work, Fizzy! You're always on the case!
Oh ...ok thanks . Its now becoming second nature for me to follow up on a hunch. I suppose it's a bit of fun to find out about some of these Previously unknown quads ....so it kinda fires up my sleuthing curiosity skill.

Previously, ( like in the past historical quad years) ..so id say 40 years or so ago and probably more...I knew of Golden Crest Records issuing a fair number of quadraphonic albums ...but not long ago I read an article that mentioned EV-4 records being released by "Crest Records".
So I assumed they meant Golden Crest ....but no they meant Crest plus their sublabels , such as Golden Crest , Silver Crest and Crest special editions

Sure enough a scan through these Crest variety labels via discogs turned up a number of early quadraphonic releases...to my surprise.

So my sleuthing ways (got some irons in the fire) on all things QUAD music continues.

And Happy hunting to all on QQ .

And one more Mark, (probably s/b in Samplers, Anthologies -Dolby Surround )

The Greatest College Fight Songs
Laserlight 12 266 CD , recorded in Digital Surround Sound -
( type of 5 channel matrix is not specified , but no doubt it would be a Dolby surround compatible type of encode.)

Mark , I think I've found another in the above classification re Popular

Florida State University Marching Band Showcase 1973
Charter Publications (Records) CHP -32573 . SQ quadraphonic LP

There is a picture of this LP , in discogs , btw.
Thanks Fizzy, I did have that one but located in the Anthology/Sampler discography and since it is a single band it has been moved to the popular discography. Keep up the good work!

And one more Mark, (probably s/b in Samplers, Anthologies -Dolby Surround )

The Greatest College Fight Songs
Laserlight 12 266 CD , recorded in Digital Surround Sound -
( type of 5 channel matrix is not specified , but no doubt it would be a Dolby surround compatible type of encode.)
Thanks again Fizzy for more sleuthing. I do have that one in the Dolby Discography since all the tunes are performed by

THE ALL-AMERICAN MARCHING BAND -
Fight On, The Greatest College Fight Songs. Laser Light Digital
12 266
{Cover states "In Digital Surround Sound" and Listeners with surround
sound decoders will enjoy enhanced stereo imaging}

Thanks again Fizzy for more sleuthing. I do have that one in the Dolby Discography since all the tunes are performed by

THE ALL-AMERICAN MARCHING BAND -
Fight On, The Greatest College Fight Songs. Laser Light Digital
12 266
{Cover states "In Digital Surround Sound" and Listeners with surround
sound decoders will enjoy enhanced stereo imaging}

Oh I wasn't certain , I was looking via alpha labels for Dolby Surround and didn't see it. Good eye.

I know I was surprised to see anything in surround for that particular label.

I'm actually quite surprised at the number of College State University albums someone actually went to the effort of encoding in quad ?
Quite a few for Florida , I've noticed.

Last edited:
Hi Mark - in the Quadio discussion WAR - Deliver The Word was disputed because it appeared in the Unreleased section when we've seen the Q8. Here's what I posted here:

Looking more closely at Mark's quad listings:

Unreleased - it is the QR of Deliver the Word that was never issued. United Artist USTQ-128-QF (QR)
Popular Discography - lists the Q8 tape Deliver the Word as available. United Artist UA-DA128-H (Q8)

Correction note sent to Mark: You have the QR listed in both places; please remove QR listings for Deliver The World = The World Is A Ghetto from from the Popular Discography section.

Thanks, Tim

Back