DTS-CD Retiring - Selling the Fostex

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QUADradial

Since 2002/2003
I'm done. Can't do no more. 707 conversions...
I am going to be selling off some of my equipment. I think I am getting rid of my custom Fostex "Q8" reel to reel player and probably my Sansui QSD-1. The Fostex was still cranking them out as of last week. I haven't used the QSD-1 in many months, but it was recapped about 6 years ago. Decoded fine the last time I fired it up. I will be putting this stuff on eBay soon but if you want to shoot me an offer, let me know. :mad:@:

-Tab

attachment.php

I own one of these (not -speed modified) and it's last gasp was transferring my 1980s solo and group projects @ 16/44 a few years ago. Now of course I want to make another pass on the best stuff @24/96 for my own amusement.

Was told in 1988 that it needed a motor but it worked until 2006. It's going in the shop soon!

Two weeks later - the deck is still in the back seat of the car. Just need to get uptown.

So when I'm done with it weeks or months from now, who's interested in giving a second life as a Q8 player?

I'll speak for all of us and just offer Tab a tremendous Thank You for all the work you've done over the years for many of us here. I hope you stick around and will still be avaliable to offer your insight and advice to everyone.

I'll speak for all of us and just offer Tab a tremendous Thank You for all the work you've done over the years for many of us here. I hope you stick around and will still be avaliable to offer your insight and advice to everyone.

Tab is a pioneer. He's helped so many people with regards to quad and especially quad conversions, he's definately a member of the QQ Hall of Fame. Now all I have to do is create the QQ Hall of Fame! :)

Include me in the thanks, I didn't realize he's THAT Tab.
Thanks, Tab, I was that guy (one of those guys?) who emailed out of the blue with a quad question, based on the website. Got me started on the right foot.
Oh, and thanks for the radio show, not that I'm in that side of the business but it was the kind of idea I would think of and never follow through with it! Hope I hear of it if there's more.....
Quad on the AM?!? In THIS century!? Totally amazing.
btw, I'd like to hear more about how the Fostex was modified, custom-machined motor drive?

-john

The QQ Hall of Fame could start with just Tab (thanks for the excitement of those releases) and annex when others approach worthiness.

UPDATE: Finally dropped Fostex at shop before this long vacation, figured it would be weeks or months before they got to it. To my utter amazement, I got a call from a new guy at the shop who told me the only issue was an internel pulley came off? Motor's just fine! Says another $35 (plus $45 deposit) and he'd also have it all cleaned up too.

Planning on 24 bit reel transfers by year's end (based on this year's craziness, early 2012) and then it'll be available for becoming Q8 mod machine.

I have to say something to "tab". You are a Quadraphonic "hero" to me (like Lou Dorren). I've read your quadraphonic website so many times it's not funny. Your website is so cool, I hope you never take it down. I seem to have a lot in common with you. I have several hundred Quad vinyl's, 31 original manufactured Q4's, 170 plus Q8's and have taped 150 plus Q4 tapes from SQ's, CD-4's, Q8's and Q4s. I have 5 Q4 decks (including a fostex), 2 Q8 decks, A Marantz Quadradial amp, SQW decoder (no Tate sadly), Marantz SQ1 and SQ-2 decoders, AND.... my brothers nickname for me, believe it or not, is "tab" (I call him "kab") !

Back