Rhino acquires Jefferson Starship & Hot Tuna Catalogues

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.........….it certainly would have livened up my days as a Boy Scout!

Or the Embryonic Journey to Manhood, Duncan?

boy-scouts-of-america.jpg

:rocks:rocks:rocks Yeah yeah yeah for sure Duncky great album niiiice...waiting for Marpow's verdict

OK, Mr Snoodster, you are making this hard for me.
I can narrow it down, I love all the Mickey Thomas, Jefferson Starship, all are good with radio hits.
1979 Freedom at Point Zero Gold 1981 Modern Times Gold 1982 Winds of Change Gold 1984 Nuclear Furniture Gold.
Out of many favorite songs, my most favorite song is No Way Out from Nuclear Furniture, I think that song has told my story a few times.
:rocks

Admittedly highly subjective but my favorite will always be Blows Against The Empire. Paul Kantner's original vision realized. The natural next step after the JA single, "Have You Seen The Saucers." Plus Jack Casady(probably keeping time with his eyebrows as I saw him do so many times with JA at the Fillmore East) and David Crosby. What's not to like?

I'm more interested in those Airplane quad titles than these but I'm glad there's some progress anyway....Bark isn't bad, Red Octopus is ok, Hot Tuna isn't really my bag but I had the 1st album quad and sold it for $125...paid $1;)

Still, flaws and all, Worst Of Jefferson Airplane is a beloved quad and I only wish all the albums got a surround treatment.

This deal appears to be the Grunt Records era of the RCA years. The rights reverted back to the band after a number of years.

There could be a cool Grunt Quadio Box here but I doubt there is enough interest in all these albums to make that one happen. We are going to have to just be happy we got those three J. Starship albums on QRs for our own conversion transfers.

Red Octopus I had on in the car this past weekend playing from the DCC gold CD issue and had forgotten what a wonderful song “Tumblin” is. Marty’s vocals are just stunning, like the hit song “Miracles”. Good thing he stepped back into the band for this highly commercially successful period. And good for them getting to record a few hits from his input. What a comeback.

Wow Hot Tuna still is so good. Seen in both acoustic and electric forms in last couple years. And coming back in September with David Bromberg. If you can get to anything with these guys ya ought to go. Great pickers and Casady is amazing. Bromberg i saw 6 months ago and having the 2 out together means they will play together for at least a cut or 2.
Silly for both bands not to be released with the quad version as the mixes were all decent. Some very good.
Hope the masters are all ok.
If they took the sacd route, the disc has room. Rhino does not seem to have it's act together.
Hope they figure this one out as the bands together have many quads..
Make a splash guys and do it right.

I always thought of Modern Times as being Freedom At Point Zero part 2. If I remember correctly, Grace didn’t re-join the band until later into the recording session for Modern Times. She really isn’t heard on much of the album but I used to play Save Your Love over and over when the album first came out. I loved that song! I listened to both these albums over the past Christmas break. Those records are so dated. And Starship? I always hated that version of the band. Thank GOD they were short lived...LOL

Listened to the recent Esoteric Records "remaster" of BARON VON TOLLBOOTH. Loudness wars survivor, unfortunately, but that's the first listen.

Awaiting LJS and 30 Seconds. Don't have much hopes.

Won't throw away my RCA first CD releases.

It's possible the converter may have gotten a bit heavy-handed with the noise reduction. Or they're from 2nd or 3rd generation copies of the original reel. I personally don't collect quad reels (too expensive), but in my experience with the conversions they are not all created equally. Some sound as good as a professional DVD-A or SACD, yet others don't sound much better than Q8s.

I'm looking at my Dragon Fly Q8 conversion, and I just noticed an interesting anomaly. The waveform below is the song "Devil's Den", which is one of the better quad mixes on the album. It starts off with the violin/fiddle discrete in the fronts and then the rears kick in. The rears mostly mirror the fronts, but there are no drums and the bass guitar is much more prominent. Whoever mixed this one really wasn't using the quad format to its full potential, to say the least.

What's weird is that the right rear channel is unbelievably dull. It's like they copied the left rear channel over and ran it through some sort of extreme low-pass filter. Maybe I have a bad cart? I had a copy of Argent's In Deep Q8 that had a similar problem (all of program 2 was dulled to the point of being unlistenable).

View attachment 38259

Here's an MP3 of the first 30 seconds of the track, rear channels only. You an hear that the left side dominates because that's where all the high end is. Very odd.

Every Q8 of "Volunteers" I've had seems to have virtually the same problem. Right Rear is just incredibly dull and murky. I did have a conversion from Reel that wasn't so, but it almost seems like the engineer forgot he had a right rear channel to fill. Granted, there's something there to keep it from being a dead channel, but even when something does blast out, it's so dull you can barely tell. I thought my system had a bad channel.

Every Q8 of "Volunteers" I've had seems to have virtually the same problem. Right Rear is just incredibly dull and murky. I did have a conversion from Reel that wasn't so, but it almost seems like the engineer forgot he had a right rear channel to fill. Granted, there's something there to keep it from being a dead channel, but even when something does blast out, it's so dull you can barely tell. I thought my system had a bad channel.

Murky rear right channel is much more likely a duplication issue rather than a lazy engineer - that kind of thing is the result of a record head on a tape deck (ie at the duplication facility) not being properly aligned with the tape. It doesn't affect the other channels so much, but with the rear right being physically the nearest to the edge of the tape, it doesn't have any oxide to record the high frequencies on to.

I have several Warner and Atlantic Q8's that exhibit this symptom as well.

Murky rear right channel is much more likely a duplication issue rather than a lazy engineer - that kind of thing is the result of a record head on a tape deck (ie at the duplication facility) not being properly aligned with the tape. It doesn't affect the other channels so much, but with the rear right being physically the nearest to the edge of the tape, it doesn't have any oxide to record the high frequencies on to.

Super Smart Steelydave, I just learned another thing. :)

Super Smart

Steelydave, I just learned another thing. :)
Yes there were many Atlantic and Warner Q8 tapes with bad right rear channels. I went through so many back in the 70's just to get a good one.

Back