• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Ridiculous Hi-Fi Audio Ads

Sonik Wiz

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
The problem with much of the advertising for electronic products in general & audio in particular is that the ad men behind it don't understand it technically or even what appeals to potential customer. This has led to some hilarious ad campaigns. And hey, who remembers how awful the Radio Shack catalog covers were?

Quadraphonics was even more misunderstood. Akai had their share of embarrassing ads:

akai 1.jpg

AKAI 2.jpg

One guy, 4 channels, 4 speakers, 4 women. What could possibly be wrong with this?

Sonik Wiz

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
:ROFLMAO:
let's not get out of control folks
Haha yeah I was just about to post that this thread ran off the cliff in record time. Speaking of record time, anyone else have any silly audio ads to post ?

Quad Linda

Staff member
Reaction score
Guys, I WAS there from the mid 60's on as a hobbyist and in the business beginning at the height of Quad. Women rarely worked in hi-fi stores, except as cashiers. Female customers? Where? Not at our stores. By the late '70's, all that changed. Middle aged and young males were the ONLY target audience in the Quad & pre-Quad era's.

Milwaukee's John Koss liked to use humorous and sometimes edgy ads. Anyone driving on I-43 on the North side of Milwaukee saw billboards that certainly got your attention. They were atop Koss' facility. And they changed ads fairly often.

More Koss history and crazy ads:

Sonik Wiz

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Guys, I WAS there from the mid 60's on as a hobbyist and in the business beginning at the height of Quad. Women rarely worked in hi-fi stores, except as cashiers. Female customers? Where? Not at our stores. By the late '70's, all that changed. Middle aged and young males were the ONLY target audience in the Quad & pre-Quad era's.

Milwaukee's John Koss liked to use humorous and sometimes edgy ads. Anyone driving on I-43 on the North side of Milwaukee saw billboards that certainly got your attention. They were atop Koss' facility. And they changed ads fairly often.

More Koss history and crazy ads:

That was pretty risque for the time. Somethings wrong with both of them. I looked through all the headphone history but failed to see my Koss Quadraphones (Quadrafones?) circa mid-70's. Good post thanks!

It seems when audio advertiaing sticks to simple product shots they do OK. It's when they dream up something that seems clever involving real human beings that it goes astray:
SONY STEREO.jpg
So they can screw up with only 2 chs as well!