Rodrigo - Concierto de Aranjuez in surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sukothai

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Simon's post on Yepes Concierto de Aranjuez prompted this post. I'm an admitted Aranjuez addict.

My Concierto de Aranjuez collection:

1959 – Miles Davis – Sketches of Spain – Discrete DTS DVD – A jazz take on the concierto with horns of course.
1964 – Laurindo Almeida w/Modern Jazz Quartet – Stereo CD – Another jazz version, very enjoyable.
1967 – The Romeros – Rodrigo – 3 channel SACD – A little rushed and lacks the feeling of other performances.
1974 - John Williams – ST – Discrete SACD – Gold standard and my favorite ever since I first bought the stereo LP in 1975 – Very good recording on the SACD, though a small amount of hiss.
1975 – Julian Bream – Concertos for Lute & Orchestra – Discrete SACD – Gold standard performance, but recording is poor.
1975 – Jim Hall – Concierto – Stereo SACD – A refreshing jazz take with electric/rhythm guitars and horns/sax/piano/drums in place of the orchestra, but stereo only.
1977 – Narciso Yepes – Concierto de Aranjuez – Ambient SACD – Great performance, too bad it isn’t discrete.
1991 – Sharon Isbin – Rodrigo – Stereo CD – Amazing performance, unmatched guitar. Too bad it is stereo only.
1994 – The Royal Philharmonic – Rodrigo – Ambient SACD – Great performance, but doesn’t envelope you like the Discrete mixes.
2004 – Buster Williams – Griot Liberte – Discrete SACD – The SACD is discrete on tracks that have more than one instrument, but Aranjuez is a piccolo bass solo. Quite amazing really.
2007 – Shin-ichi Fukuda – Concierto de Aranjuez – Discrete SACD – Envelopes and takes you to Aranjuez, a favorite contender.

OK, these aren't all in surround but most of them are, do you know of any other standouts to feed my habit?

Hmm, does not appear to be a CD version of 1964 Julian Bream/Britten Concierto de Aranjuez. There is a 320 kbps MP3 on Amazon.

Hmm, does not appear to be a CD version of 1964 Julian Bream/Britten Concierto de Aranjuez. There is a 320 kbps MP3 on Amazon.

It was released on CD as part of the Bream Complete RCA Albums set - which has become expensive now that it's out of print.

On the other hand, Spotify has the whole thing available for streaming.

Pepe Romero & Academy of St. Martin in the Fields in DTS from the "Shadows and Light" documentary on DVD - the The Concierto is a bonus to the documentary. Typical ambient classical surround mix but an excellent recording nonetheless.

Simon's post on Yepes Concierto de Aranjuez prompted this post. I'm an admitted Aranjuez addict.

My Concierto de Aranjuez collection:

1959 – Miles Davis – Sketches of Spain – Discrete DTS DVD – A jazz take on the concierto with horns of course.
1964 – Laurindo Almeida w/Modern Jazz Quartet – Stereo CD – Another jazz version, very enjoyable.
1967 – The Romeros – Rodrigo – 3 channel SACD – A little rushed and lacks the feeling of other performances.
1974 - John Williams – ST – Discrete SACD – Gold standard and my favorite ever since I first bought the stereo LP in 1975 – Very good recording on the SACD, though a small amount of hiss.
1975 – Julian Bream – Concertos for Lute & Orchestra – Discrete SACD – Gold standard performance, but recording is poor.
1975 – Jim Hall – Concierto – Stereo SACD – A refreshing jazz take with electric/rhythm guitars and horns/sax/piano/drums in place of the orchestra, but stereo only.
1977 – Narciso Yepes – Concierto de Aranjuez – Ambient SACD – Great performance, too bad it isn’t discrete.
1991 – Sharon Isbin – Rodrigo – Stereo CD – Amazing performance, unmatched guitar. Too bad it is stereo only.
1994 – The Royal Philharmonic – Rodrigo – Ambient SACD – Great performance, but doesn’t envelope you like the Discrete mixes.
2004 – Buster Williams – Griot Liberte – Discrete SACD – The SACD is discrete on tracks that have more than one instrument, but Aranjuez is a piccolo bass solo. Quite amazing really.
2007 – Shin-ichi Fukuda – Concierto de Aranjuez – Discrete SACD – Envelopes and takes you to Aranjuez, a favorite contender.

OK, these aren't all in surround but most of them are, do you know of any other standouts to feed my habit?

I attended a Pepe Romero performance of Concierto de Aranjuez many years ago in Sacramento, which was memorable.

I'm a fan of Kaori Muraji; however I'm not too keen on her Rodrigo performances, but was always spellbound of her interpretation of Dyens-

She has a DVD of a Rodrigo performance which I haven't gotten ahold of yet.
https://www.discogs.com/Kaori-Muraj...d-Contrastes-Homenaje-Al-Mae/release/11836395
https://www.discogs.com/artist/3991305-Kaori-Muraji
*** I have that SACD of John Williams; but would like to hear the 1991 – Sharon Isbin CD; and the 2007 – Shin-ichi Fukuda.

Last edited:
Hard not to love that concierto,

don Pepe and Rafael Fruehbeck de Burgos and the Denmark Radio Symphony Orchestra
I like having video too.

Brother Angel from 1967
I like to hear the third movement played briskly enough that you want to get up and march.

Yamashita in Barcelona
When Yamashita came out(with his pictures at an exhibition RCA album)a close friend of mine who was a world class classical guitarist said "We're all fired"

Yamashita shredding Agustin Barrios "la Catedral"
Your new favorite classical guitar piece

the second two movements shredded by Augustin Barrios Mangore' on restored 78.
Probably the greatest guitaristic genius that we have had yet, with due respect to Tarrega and Sors. He probably played it a little more allegro than he would have to get it all onto a 78 side which apparently happened ocassionally.

great John Williams version of la Catedral

just to unhijak, here is John Williams playing Aranjuez in 2005

Last edited:
Back