RUSH 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2112.jpg

Bad news for those of us hoping for more RUSH 5.1 remixes...
From an Alex Lifeson interview: http://www.metalexpressradio.com/menu.php?main=interviews&id=991

You`ve recently released the Sector box sets featuring remastered editions of all your albums including surround sound recordings of Signals. Fly By Night and A Farewell To Kings. Did you come across any difficulties in creating a surround sound album from records that were made in the `70`s and `80`s?

There was quite a lot missing. We have full albums missing. The master tapes for Permanent Waves, I just don`t think we have the masters for that record. That is typical of those days. Your recordings would stay at the studio where you last worked. You`d get home and the master tapes would go to be mastered and then the record was released and they would keep your masters as it was safer that way. When we did Permanent Waves, Trident kept the masters but they went bankrupt and everything disappeared so we don`t have the multi-track masters for that one. The same thing with the first record. There are takes missing. The original “Working Man” that`s on the album is missing but we have a second version that we did that`s slightly different and had a different solo with a wah-wah pedal and that`s the version that exists now but that`s not been a released version. There`s lots of stuff missing, there`s parts of 2112 missing. That`s the problem we have, some tapes have gone missing, some had degraded. Baking the tapes doesn`t necessarily fix them. What it does is it allows you to play the tapes through one time, if you`re lucky, so you have to make sure you get it and if you get something that sticks then you`re out of luck.

No mention of Hemispheres, so fingers crossed that those multi-tracks are all there, but that sucks about the missing parts of 2112 and Permanent Waves. Now it makes a little more sense to me why they chose to remix the particular albums they did for the Sector box sets.

So, so sad.. more record company idiots neglecting their most precious commodity, their master tapes.

Aja 5.1 - sorry, tapes missing in action.

Who's Next in 5.1 - no can do, we lost some tapes.

2112 - uh oh.. Where's the tapes guys?!

These are not 3 little albums by 3 lesser acts! These are huge classic masterpiece albums by huge classic artists!

If these were old masters by DaVinci or first editions of Dickens that had just been tossed aside (and "whoops they're gone") there'd be an outcry.
It's a total disgrace.

So, so sad.. more record company idiots neglecting their most precious commodity, their master tapes.

Aja 5.1 - sorry, tapes missing in action.

Who's Next in 5.1 - no can do, we lost some tapes.

2112 - uh oh.. Where's the tapes guys?!

These are not 3 little albums by 3 lesser acts! These are huge classic masterpiece albums by huge classic artists!

If these were old masters by DaVinci or first editions of Dickens that had just been tossed aside (and "whoops they're gone") there'd be an outcry.
It's a total disgrace.

Right! The Aja tapes are "MIA", whats that about? what do they do, leave it lying around for the janitor?
Is anyone driving the bus? master tapes to Aja, where were they that they are missing?
From wiki:
When DTS attempted to make a 5.1 version, it was discovered that the multitrack masters for both "Black Cow" and the title track were missing. For this same reason, a multichannel SACD version was cancelled by Universal Music. Donald Fagen has offered a $600 reward for the missing masters or any information that leads to their recovery.

Bad news for those of us hoping for more RUSH 5.1 remixes...
From an Alex Lifeson interview: http://www.metalexpressradio.com/menu.php?main=interviews&id=991

No mention of Hemispheres, so fingers crossed that those multi-tracks are all there, but that sucks about the missing parts of 2112 and Permanent Waves. Now it makes a little more sense to me why they chose to remix the particular albums they did for the Sector box sets.

This could explain why for songs on Rock Band like "The Spirit of Radio", "Working Man", and "The Trees", they went with a live or "vault" version rather than the original. Since the entire 2112 suite is included on Rock Band, I'm guessing all of the multitracks for the song 2112 are still intact.

Now, the only one we don't know about is Caress of Steel...Might have to ask Rich Chycki what's the status on these master tapes...

Another interesting find via the PROG magazine interview with Geddy Lee:

Q:
Last time we got the whole of Moving Pictures. Are there any surprises up your sleeve akin to that for this tour you'd care to share? We hear 2112 might be getting the 5.1 treatment from Universal later this year.

Unfortunately, Geddy doesn't answer the 5.1 part of the question. :(

A:
We're just putting the set-list together right now so I can't really comment on it. We'll have a lot of variety though, and we'll be changing things around a bit. Obviously there's some stalwart songs that you can't drop without fans killing you. But we're trying to mix it up and make it interesting.

Moving Pictures CD+BD combo has decreased (temporarily) ten bucks to $16 over at Amazon.com

Great news, Ladies and Gentlemen...

2112 IS COMING!

http://www.musictap.net/2012/10/23/tapsheet-release-notes-10242011-us-report/

View attachment 7813

:51banana: :51banana: :51banana:

haha.. Great news! thank you for the info :)

we knew UMG had miraculously "found" those missing 2112 multitracks when they started appearing as stems on that Jammit app.. and here's the ultimate proof!

let's just hope a decent discrete mix is done on this, if any classic album deserved it, well here you go..!!

oh and maybe (just maybe) this might pave the way for more of the same 5.1 BD-Audio from Universal..

..although the words "Super Deluxe" do fill me with dread at the prospect of another box stuffed full of crap just to get the surround mix..!?!?

haha.. Great news! thank you for the info :)

we knew UMG had miraculously "found" those missing 2112 multitracks when they started appearing as stems on that Jammit app.. and here's the ultimate proof!

let's just hope a decent discrete mix is done on this, if any classic album deserved it, well here you go..!!

oh and maybe (just maybe) this might pave the way for more of the same 5.1 BD-Audio from Universal..

..although the words "Super Deluxe" do fill me with dread at the prospect of another box stuffed full of crap just to get the surround mix..!?!?

No, I don't think this one will be a huge box set. I'm prediciting CD/DVD-A and CD/BD versions just like Moving pictures. If that reissue (along with the Sector Boxsets) are any indication, RUSH don't release extra outtakes, so I think out wallets can breathe a sigh of relief. :)

No, I don't think this one will be a huge box set. I'm prediciting CD/DVD-A and CD/BD versions just like Moving pictures. If that reissue (along with the Sector Boxsets) are any indication, RUSH don't release extra outtakes, so I think out wallets can breathe a sigh of relief. :)

I hope they do a surround mix .... as there is no mention of surround in the article...

2112 would be awesome... if done properly.

I hope they do a surround mix .... as there is no mention of surround in the article...

2112 would be awesome... if done properly.

Yeah there's no mention of 5.1, but I don't know what else they could possibly put on a Blu-Ray besides high-res 5.1 and stereo mixes. There's no "videos" from that particular period, and it would be redundant and ridiculous to include (once again) the Blu-Ray of the Classic Albums documentary...

Yeah there's no mention of 5.1, but I don't know what else they could possibly put on a Blu-Ray besides high-res 5.1 and stereo mixes. There's no "videos" from that particular period, and it would be redundant and ridiculous to include (once again) the Blu-Ray of the Classic Albums documentary...

ridiculous.. but a possibility :(

Now Officially confirmed by Rich Chycki that it is indeed 5.1 surround:

https://fr.twitter.com/chycki/status/261221497379639297

Yep, words out. I've been working on the surround remix of #Rush #2112 for months. Queue rear waterfall. #holygrail

:51banana: :51banana: :51banana:

Hope he can also mix Hemispheres in 5.1 for a deluxe reissue next year (for the 35th ann. of course) ;)

So now that we've gotten all of the great official news out of the way, as soon as this item goes on sale, we all need to buy one! (especially if they offer Blu-Ray and DVD-A, like Moving Pictures)
The sales of this release may determine: A) if any more RUSH albums are mixed in 5.1 (like Hemispheres, etc.) and B) if any other Universal-owned and unreleased 5.1 mixes finally make their way to the market (like the unreleased Elton John and Steely Dan albums, etc.)

I encourage everyone to do the same with the upcoming 'Thick as a Brick' release as well. The better that one sells, the more likely EMI will give Steven Wilson the license to mix other Jethro Tull albums in 5.1 but also they may be more willing to release other albums in 5.1 in the future.

SO, GO FORTH AND BUY!! :)

(and also buy the ELP releases too, if you haven't already!) ;)

So now that we've gotten all of the great official news out of the way, as soon as this item goes on sale, we all need to buy one! (especially if they offer Blu-Ray and DVD-A, like Moving Pictures)
The sales of this release may determine: A) if any more RUSH albums are mixed in 5.1 (like Hemispheres, etc.) and B) if any other Universal-owned and unreleased 5.1 mixes finally make their way to the market (like the unreleased Elton John and Steely Dan albums, etc.)

I encourage everyone to do the same with the upcoming 'Thick as a Brick' release as well. The better that one sells, the more likely EMI will give Steven Wilson the license to mix other Jethro Tull albums in 5.1 but also they may be more willing to release other albums in 5.1 in the future.

SO, GO FORTH AND BUY!! :)

(and also buy the ELP releases too, if you haven't already!) ;)

hear, hear! very well said..!! (y) (y)

i will buy every single release from UMG of more Rush albums in 5.1!

oh and please Universal, give us more Elton, more Steely Dan in surround -- and to EMI (UMG now anyway) more SW mixes in 5.1 please!

oh and I've already pre-ordered TAAB (5th of Nov cannot come soon enough!!) and good and ready to pre-order Rush 2112 in DVD-A/BD-A as soon as pre-ordering is possible!!

So the guy who took a dump in five speakers and called it a Rush 5.1 mix on the previous mixes is doing 2112 as well? Yippee. I can hardly contain my excitement.

#sarcasm

Back