• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

The Official QQ Sales, Vouchers, Coupons and Discount Codes Megathread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20% Off this week - Klipsch Tape Transfers, Volume II with the Joe Holland Quartet in Stereo DSD 128 and DSD 64. (Not available on SACD).
Use offer code AOTW for the savings until Friday, February 15, 2019.

This one is a hidden gem. An excellent live Jazz performance by the Joe Holland Quartet, recorded and produced by the legendary Paul W. Klipsch of Klipsch speakers fame.
Highly recommended!

AOTW_Klipsch_Tape.png

20% Off Album of the Week - Klipsch Tape Reissues Vol. II
# 1 DSD Best Seller!

The NativeDSD Album of the Weeb is Klipsch Tape Reissues Vol. II with the Joe Holland Quartet. This is an analog recording of the Jazz Quartet playing Jazz classics in a live session produced and recorded by Klipsch Loudspeaker founder and inventor Paul W. Klipsch. It was transferred from Analog Master Tape to Stereo DSD 128 by Bob Witak at High Definition Tape Transfers using the Merging Technologies Hapi Analog to DSD Converter with Pyramix software.

This week you can save 20% on this excellent Jazz recording with offer code AOTW at the Native DSD Music store in your choice of Stereo DSD 128 or Stereo DSD 64. The sale goes until Friday, February 15, 2019.

Teresa Goodwin at Positive Feedback says "Klipsch was one of the first equipment manufacturers to attempt to make direct tape masters available to audiophiles. Klipsch decided to make his own stereophonic tapes, mostly to have some reliable software to demonstrate the abilities of his Klipschorn speakers.

His tapes were made at 15 IPS (inches per second) to achieve the highest fidelity possible and the first ones were sold in 1954. Luckily the master tapes were still in miraculously good shape, so Bob Witrak of High Definition Tape Transfers transferred them directly to high-resolution DSD digital.

Yes, you will hear some tape hiss at the very beginning, after all this is a 58-year-old analog recording. However after the music starts tape hiss pretty much disappears, combined with the realistic attack of high percussion instruments and the spot on the correct timbre of all the instruments is a testament on how well these tapes were recorded nearly six decades ago, and how well they have been preserved and restored.

I had trouble making notes about the songs as I kept getting pulled into the music, all I can say is every selection is wonderful and a total joy to listen to. I wish all jazz was this good.

From the opening notes of "Yesterdays," I knew this recording was going to be something very special. The bongos are really cool in "Night and Day" and "Lullaby in Rhythm". I found their version of "Blue Moon" to offer a sweet romantic vibe. Some really great drumming in "Fine and Dandy", "Holland's Holiday" and "Jazz Me Blues". You'll find these recordings in any of the DSD resolutions simply amazing. I highly recommend it!"

Native DSD Reviewer Kip Peterson adds "One of my favorite things about NativeDSD, and which I’ve commented upon previously, is the sheer variety of high-resolution music it offers. I’ve spent more time than I’d care to admit sampling tracks from many albums in DSD, much to the detriment of my savings account! But for anyone who finds music to be one of the true joys of life, it is an exciting repository of fabulous artists, venues and sound.

On one such recent sampling journey, I came across the album “Klipsch Tape Reissues Vol. II” by the Joe Holland Quartet. Though I’ve never owned any products from the audio company Klipsch, I was very eager to hear this album because it unabashedly states on its cover that it is from a “first generation stereophonic copy” of the master tape, when it was originally sold as a tape to lucky owners of tape machines back in 1955 (which I suspect was a rare group). Of course, this release is a DSD version of the recording, but from my experience digitizing tapes I own from my analog tape machine to a DSD recorder, the results can be magic. As it turns out, so is this DSD album.

If you’ve ever been curious about how analog tape sounds on a high-quality audio system, this album conveys much of what you would hear. There is an organic richness to music on tape, and a sense of density that seems lacking from CDs or even vinyl (of which I am a big fan). In my opinion, the DSD format seems to preserve much of the subtle nuances of the sound of tape very well. This album is incredibly open and transparent with startling dynamics, all hallmarks of tape. The drums on this recording are a standout in this regard. Without knowing how it was made, I have a strong suspicion that compressors and limiters did not find a role in its creation.

This release is an experiment in instrumental veracity, I think, and so the timbre of all the instruments on this album bring you to the venue wonderfully. To hear what I mean, listen to “Holland’s Holiday Drum Solo,” as it contains great examples of these attributes.

The mix generates a soundstage that seems a little too separated at times to completely suspend disbelief, but anyone familiar with Blue Note recordings will feel right at home and comfortable with this effect, as I do. One thing modern recording has become very good at, I think, is soundstage. But if this quibble is the only price one pays to be brought so close to a performance of great jazz, I’ll gladly pay it.

With terrific, virtuosic performances, great jazz standards like “Night and Day,” foot-tapping swing melodies and several mellow, slower entries anchored with a beautifully sweet clarinet, I can’t imagine any buyer of this album finding it anything less than stellar. Thanks again, NativeDSD, for bringing a great DSD release to music lovers!"

https://www.nativedsd.com/albums/HDTT2570-klipsch-tape-reissues-vol-ii

Deepdiscount.com

15% off sitewide after $25.00

For a short time only! Extra savings on every order!
Enter coupon code 15HEARTS and save an additional
15% on everything site-wide. Some restrictions apply.*

Takes the GnR Locked and Loaded big Box Set down to $493 after taxes.already 50% off +15 makes it a bit easier than the 1k original MSRP.

https://www.deepdiscount.com/checkout

Last edited:

Logo
contact
800-449-8333
presidents day sale
facebook
twitter
instagram
youtube
Pricing, information and special offers subject to change without notice. Music Direct is not responsible for misprinted information or pricing.
© 2019. All Rights Reserved.

Audiophile Music Direct Inc. | 1811 W. Bryn Mawr Ave. Chicago, IL, 60660 United States​

Last edited:
If this e-mail is not displayed properly, click here.

Logo

contact
800-449-8333

presidents day sale
facebook
twitter
instagram
youtube
Pricing, information and special offers subject to change without notice. Music Direct is not responsible for misprinted information or pricing.
© 2019. All Rights Reserved.

Audiophile Music Direct Inc. | 1811 W. Bryn Mawr Ave. Chicago, IL, 60660 United States​

If you want to unsubscribe from our mailing list, unsubscribe here.
q4T3ndv01x_785278652_377170_12346_541457.gif

Yeah...I was going to post that earlier....I grabbed an order...there have been some changes over at Music Direct...to get the 15% discounts now you need $99 an order...you can still get the $49 free shipping....I grabbed 2 titles that won't be discounted at Acoustic Sounds....Bread...and JGeils

Yeah...I was going to post that earlier....I grabbed an order...there have been some changes over at Music Direct...to get the 15% discounts now you need $99 an order...you can still get the $49 free shipping....I grabbed 2 titles that won't be discounted at Acoustic Sounds....Bread...and JGeils

Any idea when MD will release the Bread and J Geils SACDs? Also, what's your impression of the Superfly album? BTW, I just 'grabbed' 7 Blues/Folk albums from Acoustic Sounds for $5 each [$25 list each] and added the recent and brilliant Miles Davis Porgy and Bess [MoFi Stereo SACD...NO discount]] to qualify for FREE s/h [arrived actually within a week via media mail].

Any idea when MD will release the Bread and J Geils SACDs? Also, what's your impression of the Superfly album? BTW, I just 'grabbed' 7 Blues/Folk albums from Acoustic Sounds for $5 each [$25 list each] and added the recent and brilliant Miles Davis Porgy and Bess [MoFi Stereo SACD...NO discount]] to qualify for FREE s/h [arrived actually within a week via media mail].

I grabbed a few of those $5 specials...but since my system is being overhauled(not hooked up right now)I have a backlog of discs...from what I remember about Superfly is that the music didn't appeal to me as much as it did "back in the day"...which is a shocker to me...I've always liked Curtis...as I remember it...there were no problems with Superfly....I have no idea when the Bread and JGeils titles will be available....I do understand why Music Direct made the change to the higher threshold for the discounts...shipping is getting more and more expensive for these companies...and because of Music Direct's $49 free shipping..and Bullmoose and Amazon offering free shipping.... Acoustic Sounds was forced to match it..

I grabbed a few of those $5 specials...but since my system is being overhauled(not hooked up right now)I have a backlog of discs...from what I remember about Superfly is that the music didn't appeal to me as much as it did "back in the day"...which is a shocker to me...I've always liked Curtis...as I remember it...there were no problems with Superfly....I have no idea when the Bread and JGeils titles will be available....I do understand why Music Direct made the change to the higher threshold for the discounts...shipping is getting more and more expensive for these companies...and because of Music Direct's $49 free shipping..and Bullmoose and Amazon offering free shipping.... Acoustic Sounds was forced to match it..

Think I'll pass on Superfly then .... thanks for your critique. Will probably order J Geils/Bread another time as I don't want to order more discs just to qualify for free s/h. Ironically, I just received the complete 2nd Season of WESTWORLD in NATIVE UHD 4K [with the unnecessary BD~Vs as well] for the price of 1 MoFi SACD, DISCOUNTED [$24.98 for 3 UHD 4K discs and 3 BD~Vs in a sturdy slipcase].

Another irony, Clinty, is that even with MoFi only pressing runs of 2000~3000 SACDs per title, amazing how many have NOT SOLD OUT. The same probably applies to AP, as well.

Last edited:
Think I'll pass on Superfly then .... thanks for your critique. Will probably order J Geils/Bread another time as I don't want to order more discs just to qualify for free s/h. Ironically, I just received the complete 2nd Season of WESTWORLD in NATIVE UHD 4K [with the unnecessary BD~Vs as well] for the price of 1 MoFi SACD, DISCOUNTED [$24.98 for 3 UHD 4K discs and 3 BD~Vs in a sturdy slipcase].

Another irony, Clinty, is that even with MoFi only pressing runs of 2000~3000 SACDs per title, amazing how many have NOT SOLD OUT. The same probably applies to AP, as well.
The way I view buying those titles is that I have a variety of future releases with different release dates...and Music Direct ships them as they come in...so the cost is spread out....it's been working that way for me...

The way I view buying those titles is that I have a variety of future releases with different release dates...and Music Direct ships them as they come in...so the cost is spread out....it's been working that way for me...

By the time MoFi releases the Bread and J Geils Band Stereo SACDs, they'll have one of their 20% off sales. I just received 2 SACDs from CDJapan today ...... A remastered Leonard Bernstein Stereo SACD and [finally] Tomita's Space Fantasy [Denon 4.0 SACD].

BTW, I feel your pain in setting up your new receiver. I was contemplating buying a newer ATMOS equipped one, but the very thought of programming these new receivers is daunting, at best. Gone are the days of plug and play ..... you have to be a freakin' genius to navigate the set~up menus on these newer receivers .... and I'm just NOT in the mood! When my bedroom Onkyo DIES, then I'll be 'obligated...' but until then .......

So you like Porgy and Bess?....that was a music direct purchase ($25.49)with free shipping and it's on it's way now...

Back