San Francisco Swing Express

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonik Wiz

👂 500 MPH EARS 👂
QQ Supporter
Still delighting in rediscovering my audio gems on the SM v2, last night I played an LP: The San Francisco Swing Express. SQ encoded & it sounded fantastic through the SM. If there are limitations on SM SQ it sure was not apparent here. Imagine that; the Surround Master really is good for playing quad, not just stereo!

As I always took very good care of cleaning & preserving my records (with the LAST treatment) it is in near mint condition. It was produced by Sonic Arts as part of their Laboratory Series, in fact record ID LS-29. Leo de Gar Kulka produced & engineered the record. Even after reading up what I can about this record some questions persist.

Well, firstly I wonder how rare this is, does anyone on the forum have this LP? It was sold only through Evolution magazine so I guess that's where I got it.

The cover raises questions:

SONICARTS.jpg

Even tho it's obviously 4 ch quad, it proclaims "Super Dimension Six Sound Experience". What the heck is that? I didn't even know there were 6 dimensions to anything.

On the back is some extensive technical details. What caught my eye was the line
The output of the console went directly to the new SQ Zone-CBS encoder

I am pretty familiar with the various flavors of SQ encoding but I've never heard a Zone Encoder referenced. Anyone know anything further?

It looks like this was the only quad record produced by Sonic Arts & it's a good one. Great music selection, great musicians, crisp clean fidelity & & enveloping surround with the right amount of direct sounds popping up in the rears.

Still delighting in rediscovering my audio gems on the SM v2, last night I played an LP: The San Francisco Swing Express. SQ encoded & it sounded fantastic through the SM. If there are limitations on SM SQ it sure was not apparent here. Imagine that; the Surround Master really is good for playing quad, not just stereo!

As I always took very good care of cleaning & preserving my records (with the LAST treatment) it is in near mint condition. It was produced by Sonic Arts as part of their Laboratory Series, in fact record ID LS-29. Leo de Gar Kulka produced & engineered the record. Even after reading up what I can about this record some questions persist.

Well, firstly I wonder how rare this is, does anyone on the forum have this LP? It was sold only through Evolution magazine so I guess that's where I got it.

The cover raises questions:

View attachment 42176

Even tho it's obviously 4 ch quad, it proclaims "Super Dimension Six Sound Experience". What the heck is that? I didn't even know there were 6 dimensions to anything.

On the back is some extensive technical details. What caught my eye was the line

I am pretty familiar with the various flavors of SQ encoding but I've never heard a Zone Encoder referenced. Anyone know anything further?

It looks like this was the only quad record produced by Sonic Arts & it's a good one. Great music selection, great musicians, crisp clean fidelity & & enveloping surround with the right amount of direct sounds popping up in the rears.
After doing a Google search that just turned up a few South Korean sites, I found this one on discogs and maybe a couple others:
https://www.discogs.com/Warren-Lubich-Wheels-Pipes/release/11164317

Back