Sansui QRX 6001....Compared to the QRX-7001, 8001, and 9001??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokietiger

In comparison, the Sansui QRX-6001 versus the QRX-7001, 8001, and 9001...what's the difference other than power output??..Is the QUAD mode output and quality the same ??

I've heard the 6001 is a great buy and very similar in QUAD mode output and quality to the high dollar 8001 and 9001 Sansui models, correct ???

Thanks for all help !!

Mike

In comparison, the Sansui QRX-6001 versus the QRX-7001, 8001, and 9001...what's the difference other than power output??..Is the QUAD mode output and quality the same ??

I've heard the 6001 is a great buy and very similar in QUAD mode output and quality to the high dollar 8001 and 9001 Sansui models, correct ???

Thanks for all help !!

Mike

Hi. hokietiger

The Sansui QRX 5001- 6001- 7001- 8001- 9001 basically have the same enhanced matrix circuitry but the 7001 & 8001 units had a better circuitry set up even though the 8001 & 9001 were basically the same unit the 9001 has more power out put, and they say the 9001 was tweaked even more so being the top of Sansui range.
So the QRX 7001 was a happy middle of the road for price and quality .
BBQ....

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere that the 8001/9001 had a better CD-4 decoder. Can anyone confirm?

Hi. hokietiger

The Sansui QRX 5001- 6001- 7001- 8001- 9001 basically have the same enhanced matrix circuitry but the 7001 & 8001 units had a better circuitry set up even though the 8001 & 9001 were basically the same unit the 9001 has more power out put, and they say the 9001 was tweaked even more so being the top of Sansui range.
So the QRX 7001 was a happy middle of the road for price and quality .
BBQ....
DITTO ! I agree that price wise, the 7001 is the one to get if you have limited budget or are just interested in seeing how quad sounds. If you are serious about vintage quad equip , the 9001 is the one to get (8001 a close second).
Just got my 9001 in today from qrxrestore. My flagship !

Attachments

• 20190703_110901_resized.jpg
    20190703_110901_resized.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 241
  • 20190703_111647_resized.jpg
    20190703_111647_resized.jpg
    868.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 20190703_113345_resized.jpg
    20190703_113345_resized.jpg
    947.5 KB · Views: 216
I thought I read somewhere that the 8001/9001 had a better CD-4 decoder. Can anyone confirm?
I just looked at the service manuals for the X001 series receivers and the 8001 and 9001 share the same board. I remember hearing about a "Holy Grail" alignment that apparently won't work on earlier models. The 5001. 6001 and 7001 use different boards in each model. I do not know if any is better than another but have enjoyed the 7001 CD4 demodulator. Someday I hope to find a 9001 that I can afford.

Answering my own question: go to http://www.qrxrestore.com/secret-stuff/ where it talks about the "Holy Grail" alignment and other things that can be done to the 8001/9001 models. The qrxrestore services page has this note about the 6001/7001 models:

"These units have the same quad processing boards for Hall, Synth, QS, and SQ as the 8/9001. The CD4 processing is an earlier version, though. If you do not need CD4 and 25/35 watts per channel is enough, you can be very happy with one of these. The 7001 has some design errors in the output section that we correct, so the difference is pretty impressive."

It is good to know they do restore them and consider the 6001/7001 models a fine compromise if CD4 is not a priority.

DITTO ! I agree that price wise, the 7001 is the one to get if you have limited budget or are just interested in seeing how quad sounds. If you are serious about vintage quad equip , the 9001 is the one to get (8001 a close second).
Just got my 9001 in today from qrxrestore. My flagship !

Hi. rawmacias

If you can afford a 9001 Yes you are 100% the QRX 9001 is the ultimate vintage Receiver to have it was the best on the market at the time in Quads hay day its Vero QS Matrix was the best in any receiver because it was its on system and the SQ Matrix did a more acurite job than most other brands considering it was the oppositions system and CD-4 was baste on one of JVC design .

Keep us informed on your opinion of a fully restored QRX 9001 you have..
BBQ..

Last edited:
Hi. rawmacias

If you can afford a 9001 Yes you are 100% the QRX 9001 is the ultimate vintage Receiver to have it was the best on the market at the time in Quads hay day its Vero QS Matrix was the best in any receiver because it was its on system and the SQ Matrix did a more than average than most other brands considering it was the oppositions system and CD-4 was baste on one of JVC design .

BBQ...
Thanks. May need to float a loan to reach all the way up to the 9001s though.

Hi. rawmacias

If you can afford a 9001 Yes you are 100% the QRX 9001 is the ultimate vintage Receiver to have it was the best on the market at the time in Quads hay day its Vero QS Matrix was the best in any receiver because it was its on system and the SQ Matrix did a more than average than most other brands considering it was the oppositions system and CD-4 was baste on one of JVC design .

BBQ...
I will let you all know how it sounds. Fortunately , I have another 9001 I can use to compare.

Thanks for sending over the above 2 listings for quad receivers. I'm leary about the 9001 since it sounds like it needs some work. Are you saying that the 6001 listed on eBay is a good deal?

Given vintage components are now approaching 50 years old, you should expect any vintage receiver will need some restoration work. The seller says "All channels sound great" but we don't know if he tested with speakers or with headphones. Often headphones will work when the speakers don't. We also don't know if he tested all of the decoder paths; so at least ask the seller a few questions before considering purchasing.

Also, it is always good policy to have a trustworthy service tech lined up *before* buying vintage equipment.

Answering my own question: go to http://www.qrxrestore.com/secret-stuff/ where it talks about the "Holy Grail" alignment and other things that can be done to the 8001/9001 models. The qrxrestore services page has this note about the 6001/7001 models:

"These units have the same quad processing boards for Hall, Synth, QS, and SQ as the 8/9001. The CD4 processing is an earlier version, though. If you do not need CD4 and 25/35 watts per channel is enough, you can be very happy with one of these. The 7001 has some design errors in the output section that we correct, so the difference is pretty impressive."

It is good to know they do restore them and consider the 6001/7001 models a fine compromise if CD4 is not a priority.
Thanks for your valued input. On a more urgent note, I am looking at purchasing a Sansui QRX6001 and would like your advice concerning this model; pros & cons. The asking priced for the serviced 6001 Sansui Quad receiver is $275. Maybe you can recommend a series of questions I should be asking of the seller before I make the purchase. Thank you.

Given vintage components are now approaching 50 years old, you should expect any vintage receiver will need some restoration work. The seller says "All channels sound great" but we don't know if he tested with speakers or with headphones. Often headphones will work when the speakers don't. We also don't know if he tested all of the decoder paths; so at least ask the seller a few questions before considering purchasing.

Also, it is always good policy to have a trustworthy service tech lined up *before* buying vintage equipment.
Yes; I wholeheartedly agree. I have been trying to locate a trustworthy service tech for some time now with no success. My tech currently lives in the Nashville vicinity and I am in Central Mississippi. Any thoughts as to where I might look for a good tech more centrally located to Mississippi? Thanks again.

Yes; I wholeheartedly agree. I have been trying to locate a trustworthy service tech for some time now with no success. My tech currently lives in the Nashville vicinity and I am in Central Mississippi. Any thoughts as to where I might look for a good tech more centrally located to Mississippi? Thanks again.
The 600l seems to be a good deal price wise. And I agree that these are vintage receivers , so obviously they are not going to sound like new. But if all decoders are working and if seller will back up their words ( It has been tested, everything work as it should, ) , and you contact seller of any concerns (communication through ebay is great insurance). Then I would go for it. Ebay has very good buyer protection concerning misrepresented items . And if you use Paypal , they also have buyer protection. Communicate , communicate is the key. And always be nice , even if the other person gets upset. If there is a grievance , your restraint will win the argument .

Last edited:
And yes, if you purchase it, even though "everything works as it should" , you should have it checked before use if you can. I have found that used vinyl stores usually know or knows someone who knows about a shop who works on vintage equip. I have used this before just recently during a trip to Sacramento, Ca. There was even a resto shop next to a record shop.
Go to Google Maps , enter vinyl record shops near me ; start there. That is how I did it in Sac. Got two contacts.

Last edited:
And yes, if you purchase it, even though "everything works as it should" , you should have it checked before use if you can. I have found that used vinyl stores usually know or knows someone who knows about a shop who works on vintage equip. I have used this before just recently during a trip to Sacramento, Ca. There was even a resto shop next to a record shop.
Go to Google Maps , enter vinyl record shops near me ; start there. That is how I did it in Sac. Got two contacts.
Thanks so much for your invaluable advice and willingness to assist me with guidance on such an important matter as being able to locate a nearby service tech.

My opinion, and I could be wrong, but I believe there is NO point in buying a 8001/9001 unless you expect to do a full overhaul (and pay the bucks to do it). Either one is a very complicated piece and having a tech only repair the individual things that seem bad will likely result in great frustration just a few months down the road.

Back