• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!
  • Or, the forum for the old vinyl and quad 8's and reels. It's far from complete--there are many hundreds of non-classical titles yet to post--but a few hundred are here with more to come; I pretty much add 'em when I'm in the mood, or one of you good folks PM me with a request to add something. The best way to use this forum is to go to the bottom of the page and look for something alphabetically by title. The last name of an artist is first where applicable, as in Simon, Paul. The Guess Who are listed as Guess Who, The, to facilitate finding them easily. Soundtracks, Original Cast, and Various Artists are listed as such first, then the album title. A few classical titles are here, with Classical as a header (or will be if I ever weed them in). The idea is to be able to alphabetize and then click, page by page, an A-Z (forward or backward) of what it up at the moment. To do this effectively, remember to click 'Beginning' in the left box, 'Thread title' to its right, so that all titles will list. No titles are ever removed, and all are accessible, and nothing (to date) has been lost in the ether. Just as vinyl lasts a lot longer than its creators could have imagined, so has this board, so far. We're small but we ain't goin' anywhere! FWIW, most of these mixes are long out of print, and only available digitally through like-minded audiophiles--some easy to find, some tough, some perhaps impossible at this time due to rarity or someone just hasn't gotten around to making a transfer from the original sources. That's too bad, but the record companies in the new millennium have no interest in reissuing these even as DTS titles. The exceptions are the QS albums, which if you have the equipment, should decode on CD as they did on vinyl, since for most only a QS master was made. Some SQ titles do exist on CD as well, but not a lot, and less of those were SQ only. As for CD-4 discrete, some titles have made their way onto DVD-Audio, DVD or SACD formats and some OOP DTS titles, but the majority are still commercially unavailable, alas. Only vintage albums are spotlighted here, although there is nothing wrong with discussing the alternate 5.1 or quad mixes that have come along since the 1971-76 'golden age' of quadraphonic sound which, thanks to the three major competing formats (CD-4, SQ, QS), inferior decoding equipment, and consumer confusion and misunderstanding and major label incompetence, rendered the format all but dead by the end of '76. Anyone curious about what quad titles from this time frame exist should click here for Mark Anderson's discography listings. Final note: If there is a title you want to see here that I haven't gotten to as yet, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do. There are still many hundreds left to go, and we're here to stay.... ED

Quad LP/Tape Poll Santana: Caravanserai [SQ/Q8]

Rate "Caravanserai"

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 10 47.6%

Votes: 7 33.3%

Votes: 3 14.3%

Votes: 1 4.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
Columbia CQ 31610, late '72.

Side 1:

Eternal Caravan of Reincarnation
Waves Within
Look Up (To See What's Coming Down)
Just in Time to See the Sun
Song of the Wind
All the Love of the Universe

Side 2:

Future Primitive
Stone Flower
La Fuente Del Ritmo
Every Step of the Way

On the Q8, "Song of the Wind" and "La Fuente"--the next to last tracks on each side of the Lp--are traded to even the timing for the tape.

ED :)

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
The best Santana album ever, excellent mix. Part 1 of 3 album run (with Welcome and Borboletta) in which Santana explored beyond the final frontier... sort of a trilogy, where Caravanserai starts from the earth and ascend, Welcome is where has ascended, and Borboletta is the return trip.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
I'll halfway agree with winopener on this one..of all the Santana albums in Quad, this is the top notch one
BUT
it is not really the Santana band, it's a mix and match that nevertheless, to me, never reached those heights again...
"Caravanserai" is a REAL trip...
This one was the first Quad LP I got (and converted with Lucanu's script from back then..it still sounds awesome!)after finding this forum, got it new and sealed so it was pristine..well, still is cause I've probably played it twice...

From the "outdoor ambience" in the beginning to the segues into different songs that are the most homogenic of all his LPs , this is a real treat---bringing in those other musicians really helped this LP...

Fortunately , the mix on this one, and also being an early one, does not suffer from any of "III"'s maladies.....the panning is great , no running around the room stuff, and it has quite a bit of bass...

Content and mix 10

Quad Linda

Staff member
Reaction score
8. A nice mix and good performance. Although I'm a huge jazz/jazz fusion fan, this one meanders a bit too much for my tastes. To me, Welcome or the later Swing of Delight are better jazz forays. Still, if you like Santana, it is not to be missed. IMHO, Jobim's Stone Flower is the best track here. Another LP that was released in 2 ch LP as a gatefold, but becomes a single sleeve here. :howl I've owned this on 2 ch LP, SQ, Q8, EU CD, expanded CD and Japan 2ch SACD.

View attachment 13748

EMB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
I have many copies of this album, from original Columbia stereo Lp and Q8 (!) to quad Lp & Q8, even a '360 sound' label stereo pressing from Canada (cool to look at). I've always been very fond of its meandering, though not sure why, it just works. Maybe a nice one under a marijuana haze back in the day? If only I could remember....:D

ED :)

jaypfunk

Reaction score
Another 10 from me. Love it from start to finish

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
A 9 for me. This is one that I almost want to hit the 10 button on, but figure if I didn't give the first album and Abraxas a 10, I can't give this a 10. For me this is the best, hands down of all the Jazz Fusion inspired albums. I just love it. I can listen over and over. Great quad mix too. Great all around. :banana::banana::banana:

Dillydipper

Reaction score
Funny I just can't justify $90 for Lotus in Quad plus Some More Live Stuff and a 22-sided Origami Cover...but, I'd be more than willing to jump on a Sony Japan SACD of Caravanserai if they charged $30 for it...even though I already have the Columbia SQ LP, a stereo LP from the same year, and the original Japanese SACD of the stereo.

Priorities, priorities.

(OH - and side note...you owe it to yourself to dive into Jobim's album with the original "Stone Flower"...can never have too much Bossa!)

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
Funny I just can't justify $90 for Lotus in Quad plus Some More Live Stuff and a 22-sided Origami Cover...but, I'd be more than willing to jump on a Sony Japan SACD of Caravanserai if they charged $30 for it...even though I already have the Columbia SQ LP, a stereo LP from the same year, and the original Japanese SACD of the stereo.

Priorities, priorities.

(OH - and side note...you owe it to yourself to dive into Jobim's album with the original "Stone Flower"...can never have too much Bossa!)
Oh, ok then.

Quadrifoglio

Reaction score

Like it a lot, Used to listen to quite a lot in stereo on Walkman in the 1980's. back then I had never heard of quad. Stereo was better than mono, especially with headphones!

Anyways, now I have it on Q8 and the CD I have, from the late 1980's and a C-cassette on which I have the stereo LP vinyl taped form a friend before I got the CD, both play in SQ. Nice bonus. To me it sounds just like they must have used the SQ master for the CD mastering back then.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
I guess this album is on everyone’s top rock quad wanted lists from the Sony vaults!

I have the SQ LP but never heard it decoded, I just have a hard time getting excited about SQ knowing how great the mixes so often are and how underwhelming SQ actually is.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
I guess this album is on everyone’s top rock quad wanted lists from the Sony vaults!

I have the SQ LP but never heard it decoded, I just have a hard time getting excited about SQ knowing how great the mixes so often are and how underwhelming SQ actually is.
Well, to be honest, I find the decode quite satisfying.. and it was done about 10 years ago with Lucanu's SQ script!
Shoot me an email if you are interested...

hafquark

Reaction score
It's my favorite Santana album by far, which I've loved since buying the LP in '72. I've heard three different quadraphonic conversions (a couple Q8s and one LP), but my go-to is still the quad Q8 Caravanserai from AudioSpectrum that I picked up around 2007. What a wonderfully discrete, adventurous mix -- and a crying shame it has never been officially released.