HiRez Poll Sebesky, Don - GIANT BOX [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Don Sebesky - GIANT BOX

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD reissue from Dutton Vocalion of Don Sebesky's 1973 album "Giant Box".
This SACD reissue includes the release of the original Quadraphonic mix for the first time in over 40 years! 🤯

(y):)(n)

Giant Box
2-LP SET CTX 6031-2 (1973) STEREO/CTSQ 6031-2 QUADRAPHONIC

1: FIREBIRD (Stravinsky arr & adapt Sebesky) /BIRDS OF FIRE (McLaughlin)
soloists: Freddie Hubbard (trumpet), Hubert Laws (flute)

2: SONG TO A SEAGULL (Mitchell)
soloist: Paul Desmond (alto sax)

3: FREE AS A BIRD (Sebesky)
soloists: Bob James (piano), Grover Washington (soprano sax), Freddie Hubbard (flugelhorn)

4: PSALM 150 (Webb)
soloists: Bob James (organ), Freddie Hubbard (trumpet), Don Sebesky (vocals – intro), Jackie Cain & Roy Kral (vocals)

5: VOCALISE (Rachmaninov)
soloists: Paul Desmond (alto sax), Milt Jackson (vibes)

6: FLY (Sebesky) soloists: Hubert Laws (flute), Don Sebesky (vocals) – CIRCLES (Sebesky)
soloists: Bob James (piano), Joe Farrell (soprano sax), Hubert Laws (flute)

7: SEMI-TOUGH (Sebesky)
soloists: Bob James (organ), George Benson (electric guitar), Grover Washington (alto sax)

N.B. This reissue includes both the original stereo and discrete quadraphonic mixes. Additionally, the SACD multi-channel layer includes the original SQ-decoded quadraphonic mix [tracks 8-14]. The original discrete quadraphonic master no longer exists; therefore,the best available discrete quadraphonic sources have been used.

Remastered from the original analogue tapes by Michael J. Dutton
Multi-ch Stereo
All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel

SA-CD
This hybrid CD can be played on any standard CD players

CDSML8557

81QgBC1JZkL._AC_SL1429_.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
So what's the source for the 4-channel stuff? They say they used the "best available source" because the quad tapes are missing. Is that an 8-track?

I'm still confused by D~V's description. I haven't had a chance to play it on my main system as it's going through a MAJOR upgrade but it doesn't sound at all like an 8 track source to me [HORRORS!]. Michael Dutton does specify that's it's from 'analogue tapes' and I suspect it's from the original SQ masters decoded into 4 channels [wonder if the surround master was utilized]?

Would love to definitively know how GIANT BOX was ultimately assembled so perhaps steelydave could chime in and clarify.

I did vote a 9 as it sounds wonderful on my secondary 4.0 system. [Parasound A~52 amp, B&W 802 Nautilus speakers, DSD out into my Parasound ALL analogue P7 Pre~amp].

Last edited:
I'm still confused by D~V's description. I haven't had a chance to play it on my main system as it's going through a MAJOR upgrade but it doesn't sound at all like an 8 track source to me [HORRORS!]. Michael Dutton does specify that's it's from 'analogue tapes' and I suspect it's from the original SQ masters decoded into 4 channels [wonder if the surround master was utilized]?

Would love to definitively know how GIANT BOX was ultimately assembled so perhaps steelydave could chime in and clarify.

I did vote a 9 as it sounds wonderful on my secondary 4.0 system. [Parasound A~52 amp, B&W 802 Nautilus speakers, DSD out into my Parasound ALL analogue P7 Pre~amp].

there are 14 tracks in Multichannel in total.

the entire original double album is presented twice through.

Multichannel tracks 1-7 are discrete from a 4-ch tape source.

Multichannel tracks 8-14 are the SQ-encoded Stereo decoded into Quad (decoding method undisclosed).

Tracks 1-7 could be from a set of the Q8s in nice nick (as we know, you can get respectable results from some of those old carts in the right hands and on the right equipment) or possibly the Quad Reel release, or better still maybe even a safety copy was found.

in the absence of the 4-ch master they've given us what feels like a best of both worlds compromise, with the best-sounding 4-ch tapes they could find, plus the decoded SQ. whatever they used, it all certainly beats my old SQ LPs into a cocked hat!

for top musical content that's just my caper, engaging surround mixes, solid sound quality and a nice wee booklet, its a "10" from me.

I expected greater fidelity and overall punch from a CTI/Rudy Van Gelder production/mix. I love the musical content and the mix is good, but it just seems to lay there sonically. Per the above discussion, it’s difficult to ascertain the source and well researched modern liner notes ala Steelydave would have been much appreciated instead of the original booklet excerpt included.

I may modify my vote later, but right now it’s a high 7.

Finally got around to listening to this all the way through. It is a extremely intriguing album. Very imaginative. I love the way he blended Firebird and Birds of Fire together. The fidelity of the discrete mix is good. I will have to try the SQ decoded version...Sometimes a little bit less separation can be more enjoyable under the right circumstances.

I give this one an 8.5 rounded up to a 9 because it was recorded in Englewood Cliffs...Uh, that’s in New Joisey...Boigen County. Yous got sometin’ to say about it??

This is another little gem from DV. Great sound, mix, content...although it’s a bit all over the place stylistically. The opening track and the opening of track 2 are the high points for me so far. Anyone who covers a McLaughlin/Mahavishnu composition gets a star in my book.

I think I’ll go with an 8 or 9 for this.

Is there actually a commercial quad reel issue of Sebesky's Giant Box? I know this title appears on the complete list of quad reel releases. But has anyone seen it up close and personal? There is no listing on Discogs, and I can't find any pictures or past listings for this title on reel in a web search.

As we know, some of the titles on that list came from publications and other sources and aren't always reliable.

Last edited:
Breaking poll thread rules to post about a long piece on the "Music Aficionado" blog about Sebesky's work for CTI and Kudu, including Giant Box:
https://musicaficionado.blog/2021/12/07/don-sebeskys-arrangements-on-cti-records/

Humprof, on Sunday Night on my local PBS station, a 2019 tribute to Stephen Sondheim was re~broadcast and I was surprised to learn that Don Sebesky
had arranged quite a few of the Sondheim 'Suites' performed by the New York Philharmonic with guest soloist Katrina Lenk who now stars in the latest Broadway revival of Sondheim's COMPANY.

Exhilirating performances, I might add!

Image result for don sebesky arranger
Don Sebesky

Back