Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny you mention remixing of entire catalogue...wouldn't that would be amazing!!! I read on SHF that some are considering purchasing their first 5.1 systems because of the Sgt. Pepper 5.1 release. What's good for the industry is good for us.

Behold the power of the Fabs.... :worthy

so ya think Apple bought shares in Kilpsch and Polk in anticipation of all the extra speakers that are gonna be sold?

Agreed. I'm sure we'll be seeing these going for the usual $40 - $60 on amazon weeks after the initial release. They will milk this one for all its worth.

So why did I pre-order at over $200 CDN? I'm a sucker for good music.

Funny you mention remixing of entire catalogue...wouldn't that would be amazing!!! I read on SHF that some are considering purchasing their first 5.1 systems because of the Sgt. Pepper 5.1 release. What's good for the industry is good for us.

I surmised long ago, that if the Beatles, Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin were part off the second Wave of 5.1 releases in the late 90's/early 00's, Surround music would've taken off like a rocket.

I bought both the Tusk and Mirage box and then resold the rest of the box on Amazon for $20 less than the price of the whole set. I will do the same with this set.

In the case of Pepper, there are DVDs and BluRay discs with duplicate 5.1 content.

I surmised long ago, that if the Beatles, Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin were part off the second Wave of 5.1 releases in the late 90's/early 00's, Surround music would've taken off like a rocket.

trouble is.. The Beatles (Love 5.1 DVD-A), The Who (Tommy MCh SACD/DVD-A), Pink Floyd (DSOTM; MCh SACD) & Zeppelin (How West Was Won 5.1 DVD-A) and to a far lesser extent The Rolling Stones (5.1 of Sympathy For The Devil track only on SACD EP) were part of the second wave of 5.1 releases in the early 00's and it still went belly up! :yikes

trouble is.. The Beatles (Love 5.1 DVD-A), The Who (Tommy MCh SACD/DVD-A), Pink Floyd (DSOTM; MCh SACD) & Zeppelin (How West Was Won 5.1 DVD-A) and to a far lesser extent The Rolling Stones (5.1 of Sympathy For The Devil track only on SACD EP) were part of the second wave of 5.1 releases in the early 00's and it still went belly up! :yikes

Except for Tommy and Dark Side, if ONLY they dug deeper into their respective catalogues. I LOVE LOVE but it's really not considered a Beatle's album and How the West Was Won [love that too] was hardly considered one of Zep's core albums.

Adam, you and I should have been in charge and made ALL the Labels and ALL the artists offers they couldn't refuse!:yikes:yikes Abbey Road, The White Album, Sgt.Pepper, Led Zep 1~4, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Who's Next, etc, etc. would've ALL been OUT on DVD~A 5.1 or else those artists might risk finding a pungent dead Tilapia on their front doorsteps!:scream http://cdn0.wn.com/ph/img/49/18/5a038c9423b36aea5add4d5b33d8-grande.jpg

The second wave would have stood a chance of succeeding IF they would have priced the discs reasonably. Asking people to pay $30 or more for discs that they already own is just plain stupid.

The second wave would have stood a chance of succeeding IF they would have priced the discs reasonably. Asking people to pay $30 or more for discs that they already own is just plain stupid.

I used to purchase most NEW DVD~As at the time for between $12 to $15* from a mail-order [can't recall the name] discount house with free shipping and NO sales tax. It wasn't so much the price but the lack of selection. If they had followed DVD Video's blueprint and released everything but the kitchen sink the format might have flourished.

*the local Tower Records was charging $20~25 per disc at the time + local sales tax [8%]:yikes

Or they could sell out worldwide and some will be completely out of luck unless they're willing to pay a ransom on Discogs. :(

Remember the Mono Box? That set sold out so quickly that they did a second run. I don't know if the same would happen with this package as it is essentially only one album. I've preordered, but it will remain unopened until the reviews state that the 5.1 mix is worthwhile. Otherwise it gets sent back.

Well, I'm out. I did some thinking last night and decided to cancel my pre-order over at Amazon.ca. I just can't justify paying over $200 for this release. I'll pick it up after the initial rush of earlier adopters ends assuming the reviews of the 5.1 mix are positive.

Well, I'm out. I did some thinking last night and decided to cancel my pre-order over at Amazon.ca. I just can't justify paying over $200 for this release. I'll pick it up after the initial rush of earlier adopters ends assuming the reviews of the 5.1 mix are positive.

Order it from Amazon US for 118 USD converts to 162CAD

Order it from Amazon US for 118 USD converts to 162CAD

Appreciate the suggestion, but it's still too much coin. As others have stated there will be a price drop after the initial rush. Really, I'm not a huge Beatles fan but would like this 5.1 for my collection. So I'll get it eventually. In the meantime I'll be expecting reviews from the awesome folks here on QQ.

So many non-surround fans will be buying this set (or people oblivious to the existence of surround/quad music)... if it's a spectacular 5.1 mix, it should convert at least some listeners to surround sound (that's how I discovered the medium... a bonus disc with a 5.1 mix that was included when I bought a remastered version of Queen's "A Night At The Opera"... that bonus disc has cost me thousands!). If it's a lackluster mix (AKA the Strawberry Fields mix from 1+), well it will be another nail in the coffin of the future of surround sound (or at least another missed opportunity).

I'm a little worried that they didn't re-do the Strawberry Fields mix from 1+ for this release, to be honest, because it really isn't very good (I much prefer the mixes from Anthology and Love)... I hope it's not a clue as to how the rest of the album will be mixed!

At least we'll get lot's of great outtakes, video, and a cool book.

Review here says the remix is available in "Dolby Atmos" :

https://www.cnet.com/au/news/the-beatles-sgt-peppers-album-gets-a-remix-and-makeover/

Really ????

I've read many articles from Steve Guttenberg (not the actor) ;), and he really seems to know his stuff. If he was at that event and says that it will be in Dolby Atmos, I'd say it's probably true, and I find this to be very heartening for a great surround mix, possibly.*

If your setup is capable of playing Dolby TrueHD and you don't have an Atmos setup, it will automatically sum down the Atmos to regular TrueHD 7.1, and if you only have a 5.1 setup, it will automatically fold down the 7.1 information into 5.1 for your setup, and if you don't have the capabilities of even playing TrueHD, it will sum that down to standard dolby digital. It's really quite amazing how versatile and backwards compatible it is. I've heard several Atmos mixes summed down to TrueHD 7.1 on my setup, and pretty much every one of them sound amazing with extremely impressive surround stuff going on.

In the home environment, Atmos is capable of up to a 7.1.4 setup configuration:

7 - left front, right front, center, left side surround, right side surround, left rear surround, right rear surround
1 - LFE (low frequency effects) channel (subwoofer/s)
4 - left front ceiling, right front ceiling, left rear ceiling, right rear ceiling

There is most definitely a 'trickle-down' effect from taking the hugely complex Atmos mix and summing it down to even 5.1, so just by virtue of the fact that Atmos is hopefully included as an audio option, it bodes well for the possibility of a very high quality active mix.

* Any mix whether mono or Atmos is done by an actual real person. Said person can do an amazing job or a terrible job. Said person can do a conservative mix or an insanely adventuresome mix.

I'm interested in much of the non-surround stuff, so the 5.1 is a major bonus.

I've always thought his articles were a bit simplistic actually, regardless I doubt very much it's anything but a 5.1 mix
The odds of this release being Atmos are about the same as the odds that John rises from the dead.

Back