Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3C56A42E-5C1F-4696-951B-266269F4BB4B.jpeg

800 8-tracks in that rack, maybe 100 quad. The rack is a repurposed library paperback book rack. There are thousands others, either displayed in the office or in storage. It was my first sickness before the lp sickness came over me.
AF5D4951-76E6-4C45-B325-935DF6FFF282.jpeg
053C6F96-D19A-4E40-A20B-8BF4D44878A9.jpeg

Ultrasonic record cleaner. Made by a local electronics genius who rebuilt and sold me my 4 mono block amps. It does 4 records at a time, 20 min clean, 10 dry, with awesome results. Distilled water, alcohol, and photoflow mix.

thebarnman, your system is over the top. Classy in a way that makes mine look stoner chic. The Steve Steigman “Blown Away” is an image everyone should have in their listening room. I only do quad 8-tracks, QS and SQ records, now. I can’t work a CD-4 demodulator into the system with the mono blocks and I haven’t had time to understand the digital forms of quad, yet. I’m afraid I’d start spending too much, maybe. I need to do more research.

thebarnman, your system is over the top. Classy in a way that makes mine look stoner chic. The Steve Steigman “Blown Away” is an image everyone should have in their listening room. I only do quad 8-tracks, QS and SQ records, now. I can’t work a CD-4 demodulator into the system with the mono blocks and I haven’t had time to understand the digital forms of quad, yet. I’m afraid I’d start spending too much, maybe. I need to do more research.

A disc player that can play DVD-A, SACD and BD-A is almost all that's needed for digital quad and or 5.1 surround. My Sony UBP-X800 plays all three and is only about $300, however that's the easy part. Since the player only outputs HDMI, a receiver that can accept HDMI that's able to decode all those formats will also be needed and it would have to have analog pre-outs for your mono blocks.

What would be easier, is to get a disc player that can play all three of those formats that also have multichannel analog outputs that could easily hook up to your mono blocks (or at least I would think that's how it would work.) But in that case, the player will probably cost more, or you might be able to find an older one for less that. Even so, then there's the cost of getting new titles, and/or getting newly released older titles you might already have that you might like to try out.

There's so much in the way of musical titles you already have that can be properly decoded with your existing equipment it makes a lot of sense to keep it the way it is...that is if you (like you say) don't want to be spending a lot of money for a upgrade. Your library of quad titles looks to be very vast, so right there you have a huge advantage of being already able to choose something you already like to listen to.

I agree about Steve Steigman's "Blown Away." In the meantime, have you seen all the parodies of Blown Away Guy?

A Marantz AV7705 surround preamplifier, together with the Sony disc player you mentioned, would set him back 2500 USD plus tax and shipping. If you have a laptop or desktop with an HDMI out, you could download a free copy of Foobar 2000 and be all set to playback digital files. Then there's the disc ripping software and, of course, the cost of building a disc library(with the majority of what you'd be looking for probably being out of print). Yeah, it's a rabbit hole that you can go down and sink lots of money into, to be sure. You'd have to decide if the financial expenditure(and time invested in learning the ropes re:digital) is something that you can/want to dive into.

Back