Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have a relatively low cost and high value recommendation for you @workmeistr. You can get an OPPO BDP-93 in good condition off eBay for around 400 USD. It has analog outs so that should work with your system. Then, take a look at the SACD Surround quad offerings on Dutton Vocalion. You'll get tremendous bang for your buck from D-V and you won't need to go beyond the 4 channel setup that you already have. I'd be shocked if you were to say that you could find no Dutton Vocalion that caught your interest. On top of that, you could "retire" some of your collection and playback the digital SACD recordings instead. This option does not force you learn any more about digital besides pressing "play" on the remote. Further, the OPPO plays back iso files(somewhere down the line you may eventually own some - don't worry, it's not necessary but it's still there later on if and when you need it), so that you'd have no need to rip the iso files to DVD for playback purposes.

I do have a relatively low cost and high value recommendation for you @workmeistr. You can get an OPPO BDP-93 in good condition off eBay for around 400 USD. It has analog outs so that should work with your system.

Yes, that's the type of option I was thinking of but I have no idea what universal disc players are out there that also have analog outs. So that's a very nice recommendation!

Last edited:
Let er me see more of you white Cat. Cats on Quads. :D I see the Cat flap on the door.
9DC3CBC0-F306-422F-BF2F-5DD11602146E.jpeg
7235183B-9C47-4E40-96F9-627B2BA2EB93.jpeg

I do have a relatively low cost and high value recommendation for you @workmeistr. You can get an OPPO BDP-93 in good condition off eBay for around 400 USD. It has analog outs so that should work with your system. Then, take a look at the SACD Surround quad offerings on Dutton Vocalion. You'll get tremendous bang for your buck from D-V and you won't need to go beyond the 4 channel setup that you already have. I'd be shocked if you were to say that you could find no Dutton Vocalion that caught your interest. On top of that, you could "retire" some of your collection and playback the digital SACD recordings instead. This option does not force you learn any more about digital besides pressing "play" on the remote. Further, the OPPO plays back iso files(somewhere down the line you may eventually own some - don't worry, it's not necessary but it's still there later on if and when you need it), so that you'd have no need to rip the iso files to DVD for playback purposes.
There’s an Oppo 105D for $1K local to me. Is that too much?

I have a BDP-95 I’ll be selling if interested...hope it’s ok to post this here? (Just bought a 203 for 4K capability)

Would really like to know more about your gear workmeistr; looks like you’re into tubes, a TT that lights up, and that door flap could be used for a small pups diggin’ the tunes and blacklight🤫😎

Workman System Specs
  • Dared MC-7P preamp – Tubes: 4x 12AX7, 1x 12AT7x1, 1x 6V6, 1x 5U4G
    • In
      • Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB Turntable with: Acryl-It platter under-lit with LEDs, cork mat, dead wax lift tonearm lifter, custom isolation feet, Ortofon 2M Black Cartridge, 80lb stone base
      • Peachtree Audio DAC-iT X; In from:
        • Sony BDP-S470 Blu-ray Disc/SACD player with 2x 256 GB thumb drives of 320Kbps MP3 music (Coax) [2nd “dummy” Sony BDP-S470 to visually balance]
        • Besign BE-RX Bluetooth Audio Adapter (Optical)
      • Akai 1800D-SS quadraphonic reel to reel and 8-track player [only stereo out]
    • Out
      • Involve Audio Surround Master SQ Vinyl Edition; Out to:
        • Western Electric KS-16608-L1 Amplifiers (Front) – Tubes: 2x 12AU7, 2x 6L6GB, and 1x 5U4GB; Out to:
          • Polk Audio Monitor 10A Speakers, Cherry (Front) with Peerless tweeters, 24” spiked speaker stands w/ anti-slip mats under speakers
        • Ampex (Model #?) mono block amps (Rear) – Tubes: 2x 7027A, 1x 6CG7, 1x 5879; Out to:
          • Polk Audio Monitor 10A Speakers, Oak (Rear) with Peerless tweeters, 24” spiked speaker stands w/ anti-slip mats under speakers
      • Pioneer QC-800A 4-Channel Pre-amplifier; Out to:
        • Yamaha YST-SW215 8” 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer (Front)
        • Yamaha YST-SW1500 12” 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer (Rear)
        • 2x Technics SH-8055 12-band Equalizers [monitor only – not in audio paths]
  • dbx NX-40 Encode / Decode Type II Noise Reduction (dbx album decoder; inline between turntable and preamp–as needed)
  • Monster HTS 3500 MK II Reference Power Center (Hidden up-right behind the Akai R2R)
  • Ikea POÄNG chair with POÄNG footstool
  • Blue Jeans Cables: LC-1 low capacitance unbalanced audio cables with Taversoe RCA plugs

Workman System Specs
  • Dared MC-7P preamp – Tubes: 4x 12AX7, 1x 12AT7x1, 1x 6V6, 1x 5U4G
    • In
      • Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB Turntable with: Acryl-It platter under-lit with LEDs, cork mat, dead wax lift tonearm lifter, custom isolation feet, Ortofon 2M Black Cartridge, 80lb stone base
      • Peachtree Audio DAC-iT X; In from:
        • Sony BDP-S470 Blu-ray Disc/SACD player with 2x 256 GB thumb drives of 320Kbps MP3 music (Coax) [2nd “dummy” Sony BDP-S470 to visually balance]
        • Besign BE-RX Bluetooth Audio Adapter (Optical)
      • Akai 1800D-SS quadraphonic reel to reel and 8-track player [only stereo out]
    • Out
      • Involve Audio Surround Master SQ Vinyl Edition; Out to:
        • Western Electric KS-16608-L1 Amplifiers (Front) – Tubes: 2x 12AU7, 2x 6L6GB, and 1x 5U4GB; Out to:
          • Polk Audio Monitor 10A Speakers, Cherry (Front) with Peerless tweeters, 24” spiked speaker stands w/ anti-slip mats under speakers
        • Ampex (Model #?) mono block amps (Rear) – Tubes: 2x 7027A, 1x 6CG7, 1x 5879; Out to:
          • Polk Audio Monitor 10A Speakers, Oak (Rear) with Peerless tweeters, 24” spiked speaker stands w/ anti-slip mats under speakers
      • Pioneer QC-800A 4-Channel Pre-amplifier; Out to:
        • Yamaha YST-SW215 8” 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer (Front)
        • Yamaha YST-SW1500 12” 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer (Rear)
        • 2x Technics SH-8055 12-band Equalizers [monitor only – not in audio paths]
  • dbx NX-40 Encode / Decode Type II Noise Reduction (dbx album decoder; inline between turntable and preamp–as needed)
  • Monster HTS 3500 MK II Reference Power Center (Hidden up-right behind the Akai R2R)
  • Ikea POÄNG chair with POÄNG footstool
  • Blue Jeans Cables: LC-1 low capacitance unbalanced audio cables with Taversoe RCA plugs
Woa, that’s a lot to decode!
I’ve been looking at that same Pro-Ject TT; you switched the cart out from red to black maybe, what are your thoughts on the TT?

Woa, that’s a lot to decode!
I’ve been looking at that same Pro-Ject TT; you switched the cart out from red to black maybe, what are your thoughts on the TT?
I really like the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC and I'm glad I made the very hard decision to forego a period piece. I came from a restored Dual 1229 and I still miss not being able to switch between headshells/carts. The Pro-Ject is dead silent with the carbon arm (once you perform a documented grounding hack if you happen to get one with minor motor buzzing) and speed-accurate with the Speed Box. I got my Pro-Ject used with an Ortofon Blue. I have a liking for Shibata styluses, still having a number of them I used on the 1229 for CD-4 playback. The Otofon Black takes the Pro-Ject over the top, but you better have clean records. There are many reviews by those who think the Bronze is as good and a little more forgiving. The Shibata sits low in the grooves and thus will pick up any contaminants. While I have never A/B'ed a Bronze/Black, I'm glad I went with the Black and many that have the means to buy more expensive MM carts think it's one of the best available at any price.

I really like the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC and I'm glad I made the very hard decision to forego a period piece. I came from a restored Dual 1229 and I still miss not being able to switch between headshells/carts. The Pro-Ject is dead silent with the carbon arm (once you perform a documented grounding hack if you happen to get one with minor motor buzzing) and speed-accurate with the Speed Box. I got my Pro-Ject used with an Ortofon Blue. I have a liking for Shibata styluses, still having a number of them I used on the 1229 for CD-4 playback. The Otofon Black takes the Pro-Ject over the top, but you better have clean records. There are many reviews by those who think the Bronze is as good and a little more forgiving. The Shibata sits low in the grooves and thus will pick up any contaminants. While I have never A/B'ed a Bronze/Black, I'm glad I went with the Black and many that have the means to buy more expensive MM carts think it's one of the best available at any price.
Great advice, thanks for sharing Bren!
I had read somewhere to go with the acrylic platter instead of metal in order to reduce interference when using the higher 30khz-50khz MC carts for use with CD-4, but could just be speculation, don't know?
Also the specs on the Ortofon Black with Shibata has Frequency range at - 3dB - 20-31.000 Hz; I must not be understanding that spec. for CD-4 correctly; I thought you'd need 45-50khz range?

Yeah, I'm not sure if the Ortofon Black can pickup/lock into the carrier signal on CD-4 records. I did have an old Micro-Acoustics S1 cart/100e stylus that locked in pretty well with a Pioneer QD-240 CD-4 Demodulator. It wasn't rated rated very high but it did the trick. Here are the quad carts still in my collection, though I haven't been configured to play my ~80 CD-4 records since getting the Pro-Ject:
  • Dual 1229 3-speed turntable in 3/4 walnut-finish case with:
    • Pickering XUV cart/4500-Q stylus (CD-4/Quad)
    • Pickering UV-15 cart/D2000-Q stylus (CD-4/Quad)
    • JVC 4MD-20X cart/ATS-14 stylus

Yeah, I'm not sure if the Ortofon Black can pickup/lock into the carrier signal on CD-4 records. I did have an old Micro-Acoustics S1 cart/100e stylus that locked in pretty well with a Pioneer QD-240 CD-4 Demodulator. It wasn't rated rated very high but it did the trick. Here are the quad carts still in my collection, though I haven't been configured to play my ~80 CD-4 records since getting the Pro-Ject:
  • Dual 1229 3-speed turntable in 3/4 walnut-finish case with:
    • Pickering XUV cart/4500-Q stylus (CD-4/Quad)
    • Pickering UV-15 cart/D2000-Q stylus (CD-4/Quad)
    • JVC 4MD-20X cart/ATS-14 stylus
I guess the Cadenza Black can go to 6okhz:
https://www.ortofon.com/mc-cadenza-black-p-490-n-1579but that's also some very "Proud Pricing"!

I finally managed to get my hands on one of these nice bits of kit, having been searching on and off for several years:

COPLAND CVA306 (1).jpg

It's a Copland CVA 306 Multi-Channel remote control preamp. Not only does it have a load of stereo inputs it also has a true 6 ch analogue surround sound input – so it will be the ideal match for my SMv2 decoder. But even better yet, it is an all valve design - perfect to drive my four valve mono-block power amps!

COPLAND CVA306 (2).jpg

COPLAND CVA306 (3).JPG

This thing got great reviews in its day (c2003) for its stereo audiophile credentials alone, but was rather expensive (c£2,800) and was clearly aimed at a very limited market. I guess they didn’t make many. I’d wished I’d bought one at the time but missed out, so was pleased to find this one from a dealer in Sweden. It’s in as new condition and was an absolute bargain at a few hundred quid.

COPLAND CVA306 (4).JPG

COPLAND CVA306 (5).JPG

Incidentally, it took just three days door-to-door to get it from Sweden to the UK by post, as being a European import it didn’t have to go through Customs. Conversely, I’ve got a parcel that’s come from the US which is only worth about $30, that’s been stuck in Customs for over two weeks now and is still awaiting assessment of charges. But of course, thanks to the mindless idiocy that is Brexit, the UK will soon lose the massive advantages of being in a Customs Union with Europe and from then on getting stuff from Europe will be as slow, bureaucratic and expensive as it currently is from the US. Madness.

I finally managed to get my hands on one of these nice bits of kit, having been searching on and off for several years:

View attachment 44208

It's a Copland CVA 306 Multi-Channel remote control preamp. Not only does it have a load of stereo inputs it also has a true 6 ch analogue surround sound input – so it will be the ideal match for my SMv2 decoder. But even better yet, it is an all valve design - perfect to drive my four valve mono-block power amps!

View attachment 44209

View attachment 44210

This thing got great reviews in its day (c2003) for its stereo audiophile credentials alone, but was rather expensive (c£2,800) and was clearly aimed at a very limited market. I guess they didn’t make many. I’d wished I’d bought one at the time but missed out, so was pleased to find this one from a dealer in Sweden. It’s in as new condition and was an absolute bargain at a few hundred quid.

View attachment 44211

View attachment 44212

Incidentally, it took just three days door-to-door to get it from Sweden to the UK by post, as being a European import it didn’t have to go through Customs. Conversely, I’ve got a parcel that’s come from the US which is only worth about $30, that’s been stuck in Customs for over two weeks now and is still awaiting assessment of charges. But of course, thanks to the mindless idiocy that is Brexit, the UK will soon lose the massive advantages of being in a Customs Union with Europe and from then on getting stuff from Europe will be as slow, bureaucratic and expensive as it currently is from the US. Madness.

1574699617457.png

View attachment 44208

View attachment 44209

View attachment 44210

View attachment 44211

View attachment 44212

Assuming that Brexit actually happens...🤔

Nice piece of kit and great deal!

Is moving coil. Not sure what would happen to high frequencies after going through step up amp or xfmr.
Should be fine, I've run CD-4 through a step-up transformer, Ortofon MCA-76 pre-preamp and a Curcio designed home brew tube based pre-amp and all work fine. The tube amp inverts phase so the demodulated outputs are reversed back to front. The Ortofon has a CD-4 switch that actually applies filtering to the signal (CD-4 mode) but that doesn't seem to make any difference. I'd love one of those Cartridges but at $4000!

Back