Quad LP/Tape Poll Simon and Garfunkel: Bridge Over Troubled Water[SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Bridge Over Troubled Water"10

• 5: Troubled Mediocrity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters
With today's digital technology, Jon, I'm sure those crashes could be reinserted into the QUAD mix.

I just did it. I took the crash from the version I had with the best crash, which turned out to be from the Columbia S&G Collected Works, which is an early CD set, pulled the crash, took out all of the other stuff going on but the crash using RX7, then using Sound Forge Edit/Paste/Mix, I inserted the crash at the appropriate times and BOOM! There you go.

I wish I could post it here, but Paul would be horrified if he heard this, well, I call it a "Frankenstein" version, and of course he would not want me posting anything anyway, but is was fun to do. I may have gone a bit overboard (!!), but it certainly now has punch!

The funny thing is the first stereo disc I went to was the gold masterworks edition, and that version has a very faint crash as well, just like the quad. It might be that the loud crash is only heard that way in the mono 45, which is what my brain learned the song on, but alas I had it when I was in High School and my mother gave it away with the baseball cards when I moved out! :)

So, let's get the poll thread back on topic. The quad on this one is great, especially if you hear the discrete version, officially available on Q8.

Even without the crashes, the quad mix of The Boxer is still a religious experience. The rhythm section coming from the rear sounds great & the end build-up of sounds is amazing in quad. The REAL missing thing in the quad mix is the lack of "bang" in The Only Living Boy In New York.

Back