Sinn Audio Soundbox

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonik Wiz

👂 500 MPH EARS 👂
QQ Supporter
Elsewhere Chucky3042 made the briefest of mentions regarding Dave fixing something called a Sinn Soundbox. Naturally that got my curiosity up & it was easy to track down. Sinn Sound is like Involve is another Melbourne Australia company producing a 4 ch surround decoder:

It has no front panel controls except for a Bluetooth connect button. It has analog 2 ch input, 4 ch analog line level out and also speaker terminals out. It also has the Involve logo front & back!

Visiting the website raises more questions than answers. It seems to be a work in progress with unfinished sections relating to speakers & automotive products. There is no list of staff or officers.

I'm gonna say this is probably the basic Involve SM decoder inside like was shipped with Suzanne Ciani's album with 4 small Type D switching power amps plus Bluetooth. I wonder if this is another direct spin off from Involve or if they are strictly OEM suppliers to another company. At any rate the current list price for the Sinn Soundbox is $900 which makes my SM v2 seem like an even better bargain now.

I imagine Chucky can bring light to this. Or maybe this has already been discussed somewhere buried in the forum?

You found us out! ITS SECRET STUFF

Its targeted at the average Joe who has some extra speakers and is into stuff like NFC, Bluetooth and as you say all touch stuff. The 70 Watt class D stuff is actually really nice, the thing gets warm not because of the amp but because of all the LED'S - gunna turn them down a bit.

More to come but I will leave it to Henry Sinn (really is his name!) Yes it is our design but strictly their product we license the Involve 4 channel decode.

Last edited:
Blue glow under the box, all the edges, front logo and top stuff like slider volume etc. It really has been chewing up a lot of Dave the Bitch's and Chris's time- thats why we have been slow on the super surround pre amp and CD4. It is a very different product. As I said not really for extremist crazy nutters like us, more Joe and Jill average who just want to connect to their phone and get surround with no thought process. I maintain surround via the crap "receivers" has become a complete mess.

Last edited:
Henry is the - as he calls himself B.I.C. (Boss in Charge) of Sinn Sound. I have known him for 10 years we worked together on the Nakamichi Dragon electrostatic project.

Blue glow under the box, all the edges, front logo and top stuff like slider volume etc. It really has been chewing up a lot of Dave the Bitch's and Chris's time- thats why we have been slow on the super surround pre amp and CD4. It is a very different product. As I said not really for extremist crazy nutters like us, more Joe and Jill average who just want to connect to their phone and get surround with no thought process. I maintain surround via the crap "receivers" has become a complete mess.
So CD-4 is still on the distant horizon? That would be cool.

Well, congrats on licensing the Involve decode!! It must be a good feeling to have someone using your technology in their products!

Sure is, its been a very complicated development with lots of new scary technology within and we designed all the styling/ casing / molds etc. It is targeted at the mass market, our interest is the publicity of the logo!!

We really are making good progress on the VSD plugin for the recording studio's "app" at the moment again with the aim of Involve STEREO format getting out there.

Regards

Chucky

So CD-4 is still on the distant horizon? That would be cool.
Yes it is, I would like to be a one stop shop.

Chucky, I do not get the necessary math nor do I pretend to understand all the technical stuff but someone on Vinyl Engine forums posted the following, and I am wondering if it is actually possible, if it would be accurate without ANRS, or are they actually just blowing smoke. Does it make sense to you, or any other QQ members?

I am adding this for those who may want a quad system with what I consider to be the best of all of them.

I discovered that the CD-4 records (not using the supersonics) will separate into 4 channels with only an all-pass filter.

I saw a QS website last night that showed the diagram for an 8-pole shifter. The values of the caps and resistors were given. This phase shifter will give 2% tolerance from 20 to 18KHz, pretty good circuit. Component values must be very close to nominal, not an easy task.

The CD-4 records will separate if the front is the sin outputs from the shifter (front channels) and the rear are the cosine outputs from the shifter (rear channels shifted 90 degrees lag).

CD-4 keeps all the left info on the left and all the right info on the right. This eliminates the myriad of problems with misplaced left-to-right information in the SQ and QS matrix.

I have a copy of Mancini's Sousa marches in CD-4 format. They march around the room. This method I just described actually has the marching going around the rear and returning to the front. No supersonics, only a phase shifter (AKA all-pass filter which generates the J-vector in matrix quad).

Use a .4 x .7 elliptical for best results. This is the tracing simulation used in CD-4.

I suspect that all the matrix business was a quest for a patent, for the most part. If they had simply encoded using an all-pass filter things may have been much simpler and much better. I don't know what RCA did to the stereo groove, but quad information is available without the supersonics.

Back