"Slippery When Wet" HFPA in February

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
http://www.musictap.net/2014/12/29/...-jovi-gets-upgrade-with-bd-audio-in-february/

MusicTap is reporting an HFPA Blu-Ray release of Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet" album for mid-February.

Obviously this is somewhat good news for us as a 5.1 surround mix of this album already exists on Dualdisc and is likely to be a part of this new Blu-Ray release (*fingers crossed*)

If the 5.1 mix is on this release, it's a definite buy for me as I never got the Dualdisc… :) :banana:

http://www.musictap.net/2014/12/29/...-jovi-gets-upgrade-with-bd-audio-in-february/

MusicTap is reporting an HFPA Blu-Ray release of Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet" album for mid-February.

Obviously this is somewhat good news for us as a 5.1 surround mix of this album already exists on Dualdisc and is likely to be a part of this new Blu-Ray release (*fingers crossed*)

If the 5.1 mix is on this release, it's a definite buy for me as I never got the Dualdisc… :) :banana:

I've the DualDisc but for the life of me I can't remember what the 5.1 is like - I'll have to dig it out and give it another listen to.

I've the DualDisc but for the life of me I can't remember what the 5.1 is like - I'll have to dig it out and give it another listen to.

Or you could just look at the polls and reviews on here. Obviously every opinion is colored and biased to a certain extent, but what I've gathered from the disc is that it is good but it's not great, just like the music is good but not great.
BUT I could be wrong cause I never heard the 5.1 mix so don't make any decisions based on what I say! ;)

HEY! I have the Dual Disc...had it since release. I always rather enjoyed the 5.1 DD. Is there reason to believe the Blu would be better??? I would double dip honestly.

HEY! I have the Dual Disc...had it since release. I always rather enjoyed the 5.1 DD. Is there reason to believe the Blu would be better??? I would double dip honestly.

Well because it was a DVD-A dual disc (as opposed to DVD-V dual disc), there really shouldn't be anything better as far as the actual mix and fidelity is concerned. If there is a difference, it's probably all down to player and receiver operations.

Slippery When Wet is a DVD-A on the dual layer side. My wife is a big fan and I thought the mix was well done.

The dual-disc has CD on one side (of course) and the other side is a 48-kHz/24-bit 5.1-channel DVD-A program and a 5.1-channel Dolby Digital program along with music videos.

Have a Nice Day is also available with the same specs on dual-disc.

Well because it was a DVD-A dual disc (as opposed to DVD-V dual disc), there really shouldn't be anything better as far as the actual mix and fidelity is concerned. If there is a difference, it's probably all down to player and receiver operations.

I have the dual disc and it has 5 videos on it...only surround option is DD 5.1...I usually don't like DD 5.1 but on here it works nicely...people like to generalize on surround modes but even DD 5.1 has some good discs...it's down to the individual mix...

I think you will see a new mix...it appears to be getting a new remastering...I love Wanted Dead or Alive...that disc has some good songs on it..

When I think of the Bon Jovi dual disc I always think of the AC/DC back in black dual disc...2 bargains IMO...I think I paid $8 each for those 2..certainly not reference material but pretty good with great content...I noticed this one on Ebay...

Everytime I hear Wanted Dead Or Alive it reminds me of one of my favorite episodes of Miami Vice with Willie Nelson in it....what a series Miami Vice was..WAY WAY ahead of it's time with popular music integrated into each episode..

I think you will see a new mix...it appears to be getting a new remastering...I love Wanted Dead or Alive...that disc has some good songs on it..

"YOU WATCH YOUR PHRASEOLOGY, MISTER!" ("Music Man" anyone?)

Need I remind everyone that a remaster of an older mix is NOT the same as a brand new mix. A 2014 remaster of a 1994, 84, or 74 mix is still the same mix.
In this instance, if surround is included, I feel like we will either get the same or a newer mastering of the original DVD-A dual disc surround mix from 10 years ago as opposed to a brand new 2014/2015 surround mix made specifically for this release.

Unless I am mistaken, both of the Bon Jovi DualDiscs were originally released as DVD-A's on the DVD side, and later repressed with only DD 5.1.

I am not sure why they went with the expense of doing two runs, but I clearly remember seeing the DualDiscs at Best Buy after I had purchased my DVD-A versions, and noting that the new stock was DVD-V DD 5.1 and not DVD-A.

Need I remind everyone that a remaster of an older mix is NOT the same as a brand new mix. A 2014 remaster of a 1994, 84, or 74 mix is still the same mix.
In this instance, if surround is included, I feel like we will either get the same or a newer mastering of the original DVD-A dual disc surround mix from 10 years ago as opposed to a brand new 2014/2015 surround mix made specifically for this release.

LOL - damn. OK, for those of us (me) who don't get...or care about the terminology.....does this all mean that there is NO chance the new "version" can sound different than the Dual Disc?

I know this seems to be your mission in life to educate the masses on the difference between a MIX and REMASTERING..but you notice those dots separating the 2 words in my post...there is a reason for that..they are 2 different items...mix and remaster....and I do think there will be a new surround version...just like you think there won't be...hope everything is clear...

Unless I am mistaken, both of the Bon Jovi DualDiscs were originally released as DVD-A's on the DVD side, and later repressed with only DD 5.1.

I am not sure why they went with the expense of doing two runs, but I clearly remember seeing the DualDiscs at Best Buy after I had purchased my DVD-A versions, and noting that the new stock was DVD-V DD 5.1 and not DVD-A.

I'm looking at my version of the Bon Jovi dual disc and it's dated 2005 "The Island Def Jam Music Group"...I'd be curious to see what your disc has on it...

Well if that's true, then now I am REALLY glad that I never bought the "Slippery When Wet" dual disc on amazon or eBay.
The last thing I would want is to buy a dual disc thinking it's DVD-A when in reality it's just Dullby...

Well if that's true, then now I am REALLY glad that I never bought the "Slippery When Wet" dual disc on amazon or eBay.
The last thing I would want is to buy a dual disc thinking it's DVD-A when in reality it's just Dullby...

I bought mine back in the day and paid less than $20 for it. Whatever it is.....it certainly is worth that money. Sounds very decent. As I said - I need to dig it out and see what's up.

Back