Son Contrabando, debut album in hi res surround and stereo

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert van Diggele

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Son Contrabando have released their debut album,Son Contrabando. The album is available through bandcamp, https://soncontrabando.bandcamp.com/album/son-contrabando

The desciprion does not mention it yet, but when you buy the album you get an immediate 16/44.1 download. In the pdf is a link to a wealth of files, including hi res FLAC stereo and 5.1 files, in 24/88.1!!!!! And for only $5.00.

Madison has been a crossroads for people of almost every domestic and international culture who against incredible odds have smuggled their music, traditions and worldview into Wisconsin. The music made by the individuals who have appeared as special guests on this project tells this story of love, identity and pride. These very special musicians honor us with their contribution and Madison is very lucky to have them. Thank you to JAH Boogie and Aaron Konkol of Natty Nation for their righteous but real vibrations, Tom Ross and Elena Wittneben of the Handphibians for their bom axé, Tani Diakite and Paddy Cassidy of the Afro Funk Stars for their West African poetry, Chris Wagoner and Angela Dominguez for their swing. Willie Gracia por su tumbao, Luis Armacanqui for his güira, Kevin Knapp for the flare, Edi Rey por la cumbia and Darren Sterud for his trombone force. We want to give a special thanks to el maestro Juan Tomas Martinez Yepez who always leaves a piece of his heart here in Madison. Thank you Glenn Fung and Carlos Guzman for sharing with everyone your music and your creativity.

The 6 songs are great and very catchy. On top of that we get an excellent surround mix made by Jim Newhouser, which is our fellow QQ member jimfisheye :)

The mix has a good front stage with a lot of things in the rears, as there are trompets, vocals, percussion, shakers and more. The sub is also used in a good way. The sound is crisp and detailed. The mix style is comparable to that of Rob reed (Magenta, Kompendium). Really nice.

highly recommended, especially when you want to discover new music and a new surround mixer.

cover.jpg

Thanks for pointing it out Robert (& Jim for the mix). The FLACs are 'worth' more than $5 so gave more. Just downloaded the FLACs (eventually!) had some issues with the linked site, IE11 & Windows 10 (not a pleasant combination!). I'll turn it into a DVD-A tomorrow to listen to it.

Which ones are the 5.1 files, please?

Several slightly scary (FLAC, AIFF, etc..) options in the dropdown menu for a Luddite like me... but I went for the biggest set of files available (WAVs @379 MBs) and they are Stereo from what I can make out?

Unzip (just use the Windows Zip extractor) the download (any I think), and on page 3 of the pdf file flyer you'll see after extracting from the zip is a link to the site to download then from. I did the 2.0 FLAC from the Bandcamp site originally. The 2.0 & 5.1 FLACs are 24 bit, and I'm going to use HD-Audio Solo Ultra to produce a 5.1 LPCM DVD-A.

Unzip (just use the Windows Zip extractor) the download (any I think), and on page 3 of the pdf file flyer you'll see after extracting from the zip is a link to the site to download then from. I did the 2.0 FLAC from the Bandcamp site originally. The 2.0 & 5.1 FLACs are 24 bit, and I'm going to use HD-Audio Solo Ultra to produce a 5.1 LPCM DVD-A.

THANK YOU!!! (y) :worthy

..gotta say its a bit.. err.. cryptic (like the surround equivalent of Where's Wally!)
( now can you see why I like discs so much..) ;)

Thanks Robert for making us aware of this release. I am listening to it on Bandcamp now. It is not my usual musical genre, but the sound quality seems top notch (even the bandcamp stream sounds good!). I'll definitely show my support and make a purchase. I am excited to hear it in surround!

I'm looking forward to hearing this. Hopefully I can figure out the download/listening/burning aspects of the 5.1!
I love the idea of downloading 5.1. I'm sure it helps keep the cost down for everybody.

I'm looking forward to hearing this. Hopefully I can figure out the download/listening/burning aspects of the 5.1!
I love the idea of downloading 5.1. I'm sure it helps keep the cost down for everybody.

A simple small footprint PC with HDMI out plus storage along with Foobar2000 (free) and you're off. Using DVDA extractor can also help you pull 5.1 and 4.0 (and even 3.1) from DVDAs and have them as nice and easy MCH FLAC. I still have the Oppo and I will still be upgrading to a new one soon enough, but for my own needle drops from the Surround Master and for converting my existing archive, it really works and it works well. So well in fact that I am adding the e28 Exasound MCH DAC in the new year. The set up even allows me to run stereo from the 3.5mm analog out of the PC into the stereo switch that has the Oppo and the record deck connected so I can play QS and SQ encoded stereo FLACs or CDs through the Surround Master with total ease. Foobar2000 let's you dynamically change whether you are outputting 5.1 or 4.0 via HDMI or whether you are using the HD stereo out.

I'm listening now to the 5.1 flac. Festive & infectious with a terrific surround mix by member jimfisheye. Thanks for posting this, Robert. Really good stuff. (y)

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone! :)

Just FYI: DVDA iso disc image file is uploading at present (as a 5 part rar). You can burn it with Disk Utility (OSX) or Imgburn (Windows). Check back a little later.

Back