Sony Announces UBP-X800M2 4K UHD Blu-ray Player at CES 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think most of us agree there is no real replacement for Oppo….but this one does play DVD Audio and SACD and 4k blu ray....

VERY Savvy move on Sony's part, Clinty. Dolby Vision is a GIANT plus. Too bad it couldn't be implemented in 'older' plain vanilla X800s [I own one] via a firmware update. Also upscales to 4K and includes HDR10+. Nice upgrade.

Yep, Clinty......as of yet NO replacement for the OPPO 203/205

I wonder what the price point will be?

I would imagine 'a few dollars more' than the X800 [which listed @ $299] but expect it to be heavily discounted down the pike like the X800.....if one can be patient!

I also wonder if SONY took flack for omitting DVD~A capability in their subsequent 4K players?

Last edited:
I bet it's quite a bit more...at least to start out...once they found out they could sell so many of the other X800

At most $399 list. It's a lightweight player compared to the OPPOs.......tiny footprint, as well. The X800 is an extremely capable 4K/3D player and with the addition of Dolby Vision and HDR10+ probably as good as you get in terms of picture quality.

I want a player that accepts and plays files from a computer, HDD or thumb drive including M/C FLAC and dsf.

That was what I thought set the Oppos apart. It was the USB and HDMI inputs doing incredible things.

I want a player that accepts and plays files from a computer, HDD or thumb drive including M/C FLAC and dsf.

That was what I thought set the Oppos apart. It was the USB and HDMI inputs doing incredible things.

That isn't really too hard to find in newer players. I purchased a low end Sony BR player that would accept MC FLAC from a USB connection for my brother as a gift.

IMO what set Oppo apart was the build quality, the analog outputs, and the truly universal playback ability. This new Sony seems to at least have the universal ability

That isn't really too hard to find in newer players. I purchased a low end Sony BR player that would accept MC FLAC from a USB connection for my brother as a gift.

IMO what set Oppo apart was the build quality, the analog outputs, and the truly universal playback ability. This new Sony seems to at least have the universal ability

Build quality and great customer service...and they actually listened to the customer about problems and most were implemented in the firmware updates(y)

Does it play both NTSC and PAL?

Edit: I see now that the original 800 is a multi-region player. I expect this one would be as well.

Last edited:
I hope it actually works, as I played my new X1000ES tonite and it cuts out every ten seconds for 1 second. Going to have to send the worthless POS back in now. It was only the 5th disc I have put in to play on it. I swapped out a Panasonic Bluray player to make sure the problem is in the Sony, which it is.
This destroys my faith now.

I hope it actually works, as I played my new X1000ES tonite and it cuts out every ten seconds for 1 second. Going to have to send the worthless POS back in now. It was only the 5th disc I have put in to play on it. I swapped out a Panasonic Bluray player to make sure the problem is in the Sony, which it is.
This destroys my faith now.
I'm with you hobie1dog. I currently have a Sony BDP-S6500 that I use for most of my discs including SACD, Blu-ray, DVD-V, and flac files through the USB. It works flawlessly, but it doesn't have the DVD-Audio I need. So I have another Panasonic DVD-S52 for those. Last summer I thought I would take the plunge on the Sony UBP-X800 so I would just have one player. But that thing was a major problem right from the start with it freezing and sometimes not recognizing discs. You had to unplug it to reset the thing. I seriously thought at one point I wasn't going to be able to get my Chicago V disc out of it! And it also made a really loud whirling noise as it started to play the discs. There was no firmware update that was going to solve that, so that POS was returned. And now I see the reviews aren't any better for the X100ES. So I will wait and see if this new player has the same issues before I make another plunge with a Sony universal player.

I'm with you hobie1dog. I currently have a Sony BDP-S6500 that I use for most of my discs including SACD, Blu-ray, DVD-V, and flac files through the USB. It works flawlessly, but it doesn't have the DVD-Audio I need. So I have another Panasonic DVD-S52 for those. Last summer I thought I would take the plunge on the Sony UBP-X800 so I would just have one player. But that thing was a major problem right from the start with it freezing and sometimes not recognizing discs. You had to unplug it to reset the thing. I seriously thought at one point I wasn't going to be able to get my Chicago V disc out of it! And it also made a really loud whirling noise as it started to play the discs. There was no firmware update that was going to solve that, so that POS was returned. And now I see the reviews aren't any better for the X100ES. So I will wait and see if this new player has the same issues before I make another plunge with a Sony universal player.

This is very interesting, my Sony X800 will freeze and lock after I play certain DVDa's. I thought I just had duff discs. Now it seems this a more common occurance…..humm. Is this Sony playing silly buggers. So far, it plays all the other types of discs fine. So I use my Cambridge Azur to play the DVDa's, that doesn't miss a heat beat!!

The x800, funny player it is. FWIW, I have never had it freeze or do anything strange for me. In fact, it is far more stable than my Oppo 203. Admittedly, I am not a heavy user of it. I only use it for upnp MCH streaming, BD ,4k , Sacd and CDs. I don't think I have tried a DVDA in it.

My UBP-X800 occasionally freezes with a disc in the drawer, too. (My solution is to unplug the machine and plug it back in, hitting the eject button as it boots up.) But this always seems to happen when my kid has been doing something on Netflix or Hulu, so I was writing off the freezes to some sort of glitch with a streaming service. Other than that, no problems.

Back