Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that would be a cool perk with the 5100 I bought until I found out the glasses I needed to make it work with my Epson 2030 projector cost over $100 IF I could get a pair. Ouch. 3D movies seem rather plentiful in grocery store and discount department store racks right now.

My son had a pair of Samsung active glasses that are compatible with my Epson projector. I found a copy of Jurassic Park 3D for $10 so I'll give it a run tonight. I also just noticed that my Sony X800 indicates it supports 3D as well. I'll try both players.

Many thanks to all of you. You did a great job!
I bought a S5100 and now all my SACD are on the HD. Everything via WLAN. I am fascinated by it. It's really magical and the transfer is so sturdy that I'm sitting in front of my PC, totally enchanted and I can not believe it.

I have tested different devices Sony BDP-S4100, S5100 and S7200. Now I notice that when playing DVD's constantly the sound is interrupted for a few seconds. It gets worse and worse until the end of a DVD. I have loaded the latest update on all devices. Has anyone of you noticed the same problem and how can the problem be resolved?

I have tested different devices Sony BDP-S4100, S5100 and S7200. Now I notice that when playing DVD's constantly the sound is interrupted for a few seconds. It gets worse and worse until the end of a DVD. I have loaded the latest update on all devices. Has anyone of you noticed the same problem and how can the problem be resolved?
Sorry yumi I have only played sacd's through my Sony S4100 player as I only use it for ripping.. I will need to retrieve it from storage to check on its handling of DVD's. Which I will do over the next week or so and let you know the outcome.

Last edited:
Sorry yumi I have only played sacd's through my Sony S4100 player. I will need to retrieve it from storage to check on its handling of DVD's. Which I will do over the next week or so and let you know the outcome.
I now have 4 players with the same problem. Caution, I have only found the problem with original DVD's. Unfortunately, I own only 1 Blu Ray Disc and I have found no problem with this. Hardly four players can get out at the same time. Also I have found no problem with the ripping of SACD. Everything is absolutely perfect. With a cable connection via the router I reach a maximum speed of almost 3 MB/s as well as with the S7200 vie WLAN.

The problem could be related to the latest update. Or is it a problem caused by the loaded script?
It will not be on the device settings, I have reset all settings to the factory settings. Unfortunately, without success, the problem persists.

Yesterday I bought another S4100 in an auction and I will test DVD's on it before I load the script to rip. I hope now that the seller has not yet loaded the latest update.
Next I sent a request to Sony Europe on Saturday.
As soon as I know more, I will report back here. It would be nice if we could solve this problem together. I assume that I'm not alone, who is affected by this problem.
I also hope you understand me, as my English is not really good.

Last edited:
I now have 4 players with the same problem. Caution, I have only found the problem with original DVD's. Unfortunately, I own only 1 Blu Ray Disc and I have found no problem with this. Hardly four players can get out at the same time. Also I have found no problem with the ripping of SACD. Everything is absolutely perfect. With a cable connection via the router I reach a maximum speed of almost 3 MB/s as well as with the S7200 vie WLAN.

The problem could be related to the latest update. Or is it possible that it is caused by incorrect settings in the menu?
Or is it a problem caused by the loaded script?

Yesterday I bought another S4100 in an auction and I will test DVD's on it before I load the script to rip. I hope now that the seller has not yet loaded the latest update.
Next I sent a request to Sony Europe on Saturday.
As soon as I know more, I will report back here. It would be nice if we could solve this problem together. I assume that I'm not alone, who is affected by this problem.
I also hope you understand me, as my English is not really good.
Are you certain it isn't a problem with the AVR or processor that is doing the decoding for DVDs?

Are you certain it isn't a problem with the AVR or processor that is doing the decoding for DVDs?
I don't know, but four devices have the same problem. Two devices were new and the sellers of the other two devices reportedly did not notice the problem. Unfortunately, I have the new update everywhere. I do not exclude an error in the latest update.
It will not be on the device settings, I have reset all settings to the factory settings. Unfortunately, without success, the problem persists.

Last edited:
I do not know, but four devices have the same problem. Two devices were new and the sellers of the other two devices reportedly did not notice the problem. Unfortunately, I have the new update everywhere. I do not exclude an error in the latest update.
What you have to try is plugging the Sony player into something else and see if the problem continues. You can probably connect it directly to a television via HDMA. You might also want to try a different HDMI cable. Its odd that you are getting the same error with four different players. Its also odd that a firmware update would cause an intermittent problem like that.

What you have to try is plugging the Sony player into something else and see if the problem continues. You can probably connect it directly to a television via HDMA. You might also want to try a different HDMI cable. Its odd that you are getting the same error with four different players. Its also odd that a firmware update would cause an intermittent problem like that.
That's what I was thinking also! HDMI cables can be hinky (that's a technical term.).

I would like to bury my head in the sand. I did not think about the cable because I just bought it new. It is 15m long and connected to the PC it does not cause any problems.

Hello LuvMyQuad + J. PUPSTER, I do not know how I can thank you. You are right and you have made me very happy. Now I'm ashamed of the contributions in the forum. Would it not be better to delete my contribution completely??

I would like to bury my head in the sand. I did not think about the cable because I just bought it new. It is 15m long and connected to the PC it does not cause any problems.

Hello LuvMyQuad + J. PUPSTER, I do not know how I can thank you. You are right and you have made me very happy. Now I'm ashamed of the contributions in the forum. Would it not be better to delete my contribution completely??
You are welcome. We are glad to have you on the forum.

Don't bury your head. And don't delete your post. It may help someone else some day.

edit... did I read that right? 15 meters? that's like 50 feet!

You are welcome. We are glad to have you on the forum.

Don't bury your head. And don't delete your post. It may help someone else some day.

edit... did I read that right? 15 meters? that's like 50 feet!
You can not believe how happy I am !!!!!!
And yes, 15m = 49,2126 feet. But for beamer even longer cables are used. I don't think the lands are the problem.?.
It is also strange that all players play Blu-Ray Disc without any problems. Connecting to the PC, there are no problems. Connected to the Sony Blu-Ray player and DVD's is the problem and the interruptions are more and more towards the end of the DVD.
The cable comes from China. I ordered two shorter cables from the same supplier in China. There are no problems with the short cables.

We're thrilled you're here, and all the credit goes to LuvMyQuad (I just jumped on board.)

Very happy to have completed my first SACD rip today! However, I'm getting speeds of only 0.20-0.30MB/second. Has anyone else experienced speeds that slow and been able to do something about it? I have a Sony BDP-S590 connected directly to an iMac with a crossover CAT6 cable. The two discs I ripped so far have taken about two hours each. I wonder if going through the router would increase the transfer rate. I'll be gathering cobwebs by the time I'm done at this rate! :eek:

Very happy to have completed my first SACD rip today! However, I'm getting speeds of only 0.20-0.30MB/second. Has anyone else experienced speeds that slow and been able to do something about it? I have a Sony BDP-S590 connected directly to an iMac with a crossover CAT6 cable. The two discs I ripped so far have taken about two hours each. I wonder if going through the router would increase the transfer rate. I'll be gathering cobwebs by the time I'm done at this rate! :eek:
Hi erebus, yes that seems too slow for sure, typically I believe I get a little over 3 mb/sec. on mine with a Windows 7 machine. I don’t use Macs so not sure about that, maybe someone with success with Macs can help out. Occasionally I’ll get a title that rips slow like that but it’s rare.

Should you have an Internet router, try using it to bridge the Mac and the SACD player. I suspect this may be the issue here. I have done this with my 2014 Mac Mini and the speed is much better than what you're currently achieving.

Should you have an Internet router, try using it to bridge the Mac and the SACD player. I suspect this may be the issue here. I have done this with my 2014 Mac Mini and the speed is much better than what you're currently achieving.
I have some cables arriving today so the Sony and the Mac can both be hard-wired to the router through a switch. I'll give it a try and let you all know if the speed improves.

Back