Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I just discovered this awesome thread and fortunately everything went flawless on my first attempt! I had a Sony BDP-S490 in my closet and now it's a useful treasure :LB. It all worked with my MacBook Pro mid 2012. So I'll start the ripping process of my collection. Thank you Beerking!
Cheers!
Hi Barbazul,
It's great that you have found this thread useful and thankyou for letting us know that it worked. Come back real soon.
Cheers
Mike

Sony brand compatible Blu-ray players:

BDP-S390 (also sold as BX39 in some markets)
BDP-S490
BDP-S590 (also sold as BX59 in some markets)
BDP-S4100
BDP-S5100 (also sold as BX510 in some markets)

Are there any others?
I have two Sony BRD players, but seem to have just missed the list:

BDP-BX370
BDP-BX520

Hi Barbazul,
It's great that you have found this thread useful and thankyou for letting us know that it worked. Come back real soon.
Cheers
Mike

Thank you Mike!! I guess you're the same Mike from the HiFi Heaven, right?!

By the way, I usually rip my CD's (to FLAC format) with XLD software (for Mac) and it informs you, at the end of the process, if it was an exact copy or not. How reliable is ISO2DSD in this matter? Can we have a DSF file not exactly ripped?

And finally, just to my curiosity, I confirmed that the procedure won't work with a Sony BDP-S370.

Thanks again!

Are there any others?
I have two Sony BRD players, but seem to have just missed the list:

BDP-BX370
BDP-BX520

Hi Eggplant
The current up to date list of Players that are known to work with the ripping process are as follows:

Sony brand compatible Blu-ray players:
BDP-S390 (also sold as BX39 in some markets)
BDP-S490
BDP-S590 (also sold as BX59 in some markets)
BDP-S4100
BDP-S5100 (also sold as BX510 in some markets)
BDP-S6200 * (also sold as BX620 in some markets, requires Sony ARMv7 AutoScript version developed Feb. 2019)
BDP-S7200 * (requires Sony ARMv7 AutoScript version developed Feb. 2019)
BDP-S790 * (requires Sony ARMv7 AutoScript version developed Feb. 2019)

Pioneer brand compatible Blu-ray players:
BDP-80FD
BDP-160
BDP-170

Oppo brand compatible Blu-ray players:
BDP-103 and 103D
BDP-105 and 105D

Cambridge brand compatible Blu-ray players:
Azur 752BD
CXU

Arcam brand compatible Blu-ray & CD/SACD players:
FMJ UDP411
FMJ CDS27

Primare brand compatible Blu-ray player:
BD32 MkII

Electrocompaniet brand compatible Blu-ray player:
EMP3

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Thank you Mike!! I guess you're the same Mike from the HiFi Heaven, right?!

By the way, I usually rip my CD's (to FLAC format) with XLD software (for Mac) and it informs you, at the end of the process, if it was an exact copy or not. How reliable is ISO2DSD in this matter? Can we have a DSF file not exactly ripped?

And finally, just to my curiosity, I confirmed that the procedure won't work with a Sony BDP-S370.

Thanks again!

Hi Barbazul,
Unfortunately I am not the very knowledgeable moderator from hi-fihaven. His name is Mickey Fresh. It was his help which enabled me and others, to overcome my initial problems with the ripping process. It is his hard work and dedication, which I have used, to make this thread as seamless as possible, in describing the various elements of SACD ripping.
As far as the reliability of ISO2DSD, I'm afraid I can't help you there, as I have never used it.
My advice would be to make contact with Mickey Fresh on this site:
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/Cheers
Mike (Not Fresh!! :D )

Last edited:
Hi Barbazul,
Unfortunately I am not the very knowledgeable moderator from hi-fihaven. His name is Mickey Fresh. It was his help which enabled me and others, to overcome my initial problems with the ripping process. It is his hard work and dedication, which I have used, to make this thread as seamless as possible, in describing the various elements of SACD ripping.
As far as the reliability of ISO2DSD, I'm afraid I can't help you there, as I have never used it.
My advice would be to make contact with Mickey Fresh on this site:
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/Cheers
Mike (Not Fresh!! :D )
Hi Mike, indeed! He’s so dedicated and kind with all members, I’m sure Mickey will answer about the accuracy of the process. Anyway, I’m grateful for your post!

All the best! ;)

Thanks beerking for all the instructions in this thread. Fortunately, I already had a Sony BDP that would enable me to back up my SACDs and have done so with only a few hiccups that I found a solution to by checking the Hifi Haven forum. One of my classical SACDs wouldn't play ball but everything else is all backed-up. QQ'ers rule!

Thanks beerking for all the instructions in this thread. Fortunately, I already had a Sony BDP that would enable me to back up my SACDs and have done so with only a few hiccups that I found a solution to by checking the Hifi Haven forum. One of my classical SACDs wouldn't play ball but everything else is all backed-up. QQ'ers rule!
Hi and thankyou for posting another SACD ripping success.

Got back to a few SACD rips today after a long hiatus, and discovered the IP settings had changed on my Sony :eek:. Had to go back in, hook it up to a monitor and see that the IP had changed. (Must have happened somehow since we got a new AT&T U-verse router installed.)
But it is easily working again, this time ripping with my new NUC - its handy having two computers to work different things at the same time 🎅

Got back to a few SACD rips today after a long hiatus, and discovered the IP settings had changed on my Sony :eek:. Had to go back in, hook it up to a monitor and see that the IP had changed. (Must have happened somehow since we got a new AT&T U-verse router installed.)
But it is easily working again, this time ripping with my new NUC - its handy having two computers to work different things at the same time 🎅
You can put the Fing app (free) on your phone. You can use it to scan all of the devices connected to your router and it will tell you the current IP address of each one. Very convenient versus connecting the player to a monitor.
⛄

You can put the Fing app (free) on your phone. You can use it to scan all of the devices connected to your router and it will tell you the current IP address of each one. Very convenient versus connecting the player to a monitor.
⛄
You should also be able to reserve DHCP addresses on your wifi by MAC so that certain devices retain their IP regardless of how often they are powered on. I pin my NAS, PIs and any device with a share so I don't have to keep mapping new drives/nfs/ssh scripts.
Appreciate the great advice - you guys are just waaaaay smarter about this network stuff than I - over my head at this point!

You should also be able to reserve DHCP addresses on your wifi by MAC so that certain devices retain their IP regardless of how often they are powered on. I pin my NAS, PIs and any device with a share so I don't have to keep mapping new drives/nfs/ssh scripts.

Good advice. I always use a fixed IP addressing for my NASs and media players. Actually, since I use NFS networking between my media players and media NAS, I use the IP for security. Only allow each media player IP to access my NAS.

With the Kodi iPad remote it needs to know which media player to connect to by IP address, so again a fixed IP makes this way easier.

(Must have happened somehow since we got a new AT&T U-verse router installed.)
I don't believe that would apply in this case.

I don't believe that would apply in this case.
that really depends on what is servicing the wifi. If it is the AT&T supplied router, no it would not. If something is plugged into the router to provide wifi, it would.
But, new router, new DHCP subnet and leases, AT&T is probably supplying wifi which is more power than I want to give my internet provider, but I certainly don't have an issue with anyone that does.

that really depends on what is servicing the wifi. If it is the AT&T supplied router, no it would not. If something is plugged into the router to provide wifi, it would.
But, new router, new DHCP subnet and leases, AT&T is probably supplying wifi which is more power than I want to give my internet provider, but I certainly don't have an issue with anyone that does.
The only other thing I remember doing is plugging in a new NUC to the same switch as the Sony, would that perhaps change something?

nah. if you got a new AT&T cable modem, and it is supplying your wifi, then most likely everything changed when you got it since even if it was the same network subnet, the leases would all be new so first come first server. I don't know if it is smart, or kind, enough to honor lease requests it didn't supply. Based on your IP changing, I would say no.

let me qualify my response with this possibility.
If your BR was off, the DHCP lease expired, plugging in your new device may have caused it to get the IP that was previously in use by your BR player. You should be able to check its IP and see if that is what happened.

Good advice. I always use a fixed IP addressing for my NASs and media players. Actually, since I use NFS networking between my media players and media NAS, I use the IP for security. Only allow each media player IP to access my NAS.

With the Kodi iPad remote it needs to know which media player to connect to by IP address, so again a fixed IP makes this way easier.
ACLs are a great idea. You could still use those along with DHCP and MAC reservations. It is a bit more work, but it means you don't need to touch any device to set an IP, you control it at your router.
It also means you can basically have a DHCP network where nothing foreign can join because the MAC is unknown. Or have just one available address and as you add devices, pin their MAC from the open assignment to something else.

Back