Sony UBP-1100ES Announced

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundboy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
From Google news....

Sony UBP-X1100ES : Nouveau lecteur 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (Dolby Vision)

Yes, it's in French....and as translated by Google:

Samsung may have pulled out of the market. But the physical format has not said its last word and continues to interest the giants of consumer electronics. The proof is today: Sony has announced the arrival of a brand new model of 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player. The device bears the reference UBP-X1100ES.

This is an evolution of the previous UBP-X1000ES drive. The UBP-X1100ES is distinguished by its Dolby Vision HDR compatibility. Sony, however, continues the deadlock on HDR10 + technology. This new model plays DVD video, DVD audio, CD and SA-CD, Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray standard. It also provides 4K HDR to SDR (standard dynamic range) conversion. A 32-bit digital-to-analog converter is available. The UBP-X1100ES also supports native Hi-Res Audio DSD (up to 11.2 MHz) and LPCM (up to 192 kHz) music files. Dolby Atmos and DTS: X formats are of course compatible.

In terms of connectivity, the UBP-X1100ES retains two HDMI outputs: an HDMI 2.0 output on the back and an HDMI 1.4 output also on the back for audio. Added to this is a front USB port, a coaxial and digital audio output (optical), an RS-232C port, Ethernet port and analog audio output (stereo). Wi-Fi (dual-band MIMO) and bluetooth have not been forgotten. The player also provides access to Netflix, Amazon Video and YouTube offers.

We note the possibility of moving the subtitles (useful in projection on diffusers 2.35). A Bravia mode allows for optimized settings when the user has a Sony brand TV.

Price and availability still to be defined.

So I gather this IS NOT A UNIVERSAL PLAYER for all VIDEO formats like last year's model? I don't see PAL meantioned or all 6 different REGIONS for that matter☹️

So I gather this IS NOT A UNIVERSAL PLAYER for all VIDEO formats like last year's model? I don't see PAL meantioned or all 6 different REGIONS for that matter☹
Yeah, looks like Region restrictions are still in full effect. The X800 in NZ is Region 4 DVD locked. I spoke to a few shop staff and yep, all or most manufacturers gone back to region locking even DVDs! Boggles the mind.

From Google news....

Sony UBP-X1100ES : Nouveau lecteur 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (Dolby Vision)

Yes, it's in French....and as translated by Google:
Thanks for the heads-up! I'd have to see Dolby Vision in real life to make the upgrade unless my X800 throws the toys but it's good to know about new options. From the comparisons I've seen online, it don't look like something I'd drop coin on, especially with the money I'm spending on new old BDs (I've got a pile of about 60 still to watch) with lots of future releases from across the decades clogging up my Amazon carts. Tons to watch. Spoiled for choice really.

I'm glad SONY reinstated the ability to play DVD~Audio as there are quite a few forthcoming discs in that format [Djabe, Alan Parsons, King Crimson to name a few]. I know OPPO just upgraded their UHD 203/205 with HDR 10+ via firmware but not too many 4K discs have taken advantage of that upgrade. In fact, very few current UHD 4K releases are actual NATIVE 4K [as opposed to upscaled 2K].

I'm glad SONY reinstated the ability to play DVD~Audio as there are quite a few forthcoming discs in that format [Djabe, Alan Parsons, King Crimson to name a few]. I know OPPO just upgraded their UHD 203/205 with HDR 10+ via firmware but not too many 4K discs have taken advantage of that upgrade. In fact, very few current UHD 4K releases are actual NATIVE 4K [as opposed to upscaled 2K].
Ugh...

4K is not really that important, but UHD releases of (old) movies shot on film are made from new and far better scans of the original negative. And HDR is exclusive to UHD discs, so that’s a plus too.

Truth is, Gene, even NEW movies like Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star Is Born and the new Mary Poppins Returns are ALL upscaled UHD 4K Discs but the addition of HDR and Dolby Vision does make a difference. Ironically, older catalogue titles like Pet Sematary and John Carpenter's Christine are NATIVE UHD 4K discs ...... Topsy Turvy?

4K is not really that important, but UHD releases of (old) movies shot on film are made from new and far better scans of the original negative. And HDR is exclusive to UHD discs, so that’s a plus too.

I disagree Francois.......I can readily see the difference on my LG OLED TV [utilizing an OPPO 205 with HDR 10 + Dolby Vision] the distinct difference between 1080p and 4K. Dolby Vision especially offers a dazzling upgrade. I only wish Criterion who specializes in utilizing 4K scans of older [and newer] films would get on the bandwagon and release in NATIVE 4K.

BTW, Francois, a 35mm Negative has 3500 lines of resolution so in effect 4K would comfortably accomodate the full resolution whereas 1080p [2K] will NOT.

Last edited:

Big Crap - no 5.1 analog outs!!!

What about HDCD? Do any support that nowadays? I can clearly hear the difference between an old CD without and one with it (for example, it is the highest fidelity -- sigh -- for all the Joni Mitchell CDs).

What about HDCD? Do any support that nowadays? I can clearly hear the difference between an old CD without and one with it (for example, it is the highest fidelity -- sigh -- for all the Joni Mitchell CDs).

My old Denon DVD-3910 supports it, but my Oppo (fancy schmancy) 205 does not🤕. Honestly don't know if I can tell the difference, should do some research on that?

Didn't the X800 drop it? I'd be shocked if they brought it back.

Ditto 5.1 analog audio. I don't think it's a priority for them.

Better hold on to my Denon DBT-1713UD 3D then (gasp, it's five years old now!). Wish I could play you an A / B of a Joni CD with and without HDCD on it, I guarantee there's a difference. Also have all the Grateful Dead CDs (in the two box sets) that are HDCD, a Stephan Stills first solo, etc.

It seems to play any disc I want for high fidelity, SACD, blu ray, DVD-A, etc. (no 4K Ultra, though, and I never went to 3D tv, thankfully).

Yeah the X800 doesn't do HDCD. It's the only format I have any of that the X800 doesn't play.

Back