Star Trek: Nemesis Soundtrack - Direct to 5.1 DSD Surround Sound SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dinko

I posted this elsewhere, so I'm just going to cut and paste:

There is much greater detail on the SACD than on the CD. Greater dynamic range too.

The sound stage is expanded. Instead of sounding like a CD playing from 2 speakers, it sounds like an orchestra in a hall, with most of the sound coming from the front, but the rear speakers playing a very important supporting role, particularly for the brass.

Relative to the CD, the strings are much smoother and more velvety, while the brass is fiercer. Percussion and electronics are more prominent.

The SACD also includes a note from engineer Bruce Botnick:

The Star Trek film franchise has produced two soundtrack recordings that carry a very special historical significance. Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) was Jerry Goldsmith's first score in the Star Trek series and was the very first digital recording of a motion picture music score. Twenty three years later, at Paramount Pictures Music Scoring Stage M in August and September of 2002, Star Trek: Nemesis - the tenth in the series and Jerry Goldsmith's fifth - became the first motion picture music score to be recorded directly to DSD (Direct Stream Digital) and subsequently released on SACD hybrid 5.1/stereo and PCM. The mixes on this recording are live, with no remixes and only editing done between takes to perfect the performance.

DSD recording technology captures the live performance with a greater depth, frequency response and dynamic range than has ever before been possible. Jerry Goldsmith's score for Star Trek Nemesis, with its striking mix of electronics and an extraordinarily dynamic 96-piece orchestra, offered the ideal opportunity to marry great music with this new technology. This disc preserves a unique and historic event and represents a dramatic evolution in recorded sound.

Can't disagree with that. The SACD sound is in a league completely beyond the sound of the regular CD.

Yes, I see that it's now on the store shelves at Tower Records as well.

Sounds like an interesting one.

Star Trek fans will want to pick up this Surround Sound SACD.

It's a Direct to DSD 5.1 Surround Recording of the Original Soundtrack of Star Trek: Nemesis by Jerry Goldsmith & the Hollywood Studio Orchestra.
Produced by Goldsmith and engineered by Bruce Botnick, best known for his work with The Doors.

Still available from Amazon.
New: $29.99, Used: $24.90

51nC3M2nU-L.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000088E5Z

Review from www.sa-cd.net:

"According to the booklet, this SACD recording was the first (original) movie soundtrack recorded using DSD technology. It is so well done (live takes, no remixing) that I hope there will be many more recordings like this.

In short: Star Trek never sounded better! The brass is astoundingly rich and lifelike, the orchestra very full and dynamic. The multichannel mix is superbly done, topping even the excellent stereo mix and putting all speakers to good use. Even the center channel is effectively used (e.g. check out the baseline synthesizer and drums of track 9). The recording was made in a studio and therefore sounds “dry” compared to recordings in real orchestra halls, where there is usually more ambiance - but that is just a matter of personal taste. The same great sound can be found on “Timeline” (also composed by Goldsmith and published by Varése Sarabande on SACD), which was also recorded and mixed by Bruce Botnick and performed by Goldsmith and the same orchestra.

This work of master Jerry Goldsmith probably is not his best score ever, but nevertheless offers enough good themes and arrangements. My favorites are “Odds and End”, “The Scorpion” and “A New Ending”. Well done, Hollywood Studio Symphony!"
http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/698

Star Trek fans will want to pick up this Surround Sound SACD.

It's a Direct to DSD 5.1 Surround Recording of the Original Soundtrack of Star Trek: Nemesis by Jerry Goldsmith & the Hollywood Studio Orchestra.
Produced by Goldsmith and engineered by Bruce Botnick, best known for his work with The Doors.

Still available from Amazon.
New: $29.99, Used: $24.90

View attachment 29368

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000088E5Z

Review from www.sa-cd.net:

http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/698

Thanks for the heads~up, Brian. I have all of the Varese Sarabande mch SACDs except for this one. Was able to purchase it in like new condition and it's definitely the mch SACD.

Thanks for the heads~up, Brian. I have all of the Varese Sarabande mch SACDs except for this one. Was able to purchase it in like new condition and it's definitely the mch SACD.

It's an excellent Surround Sound DSD release. Jerry Goldsmith and Bruce Botnick did a fine job on this Surround Sound SACD.
A favorite here.

It's an excellent Surround Sound DSD release. Jerry Goldsmith and Bruce Botnick did a fine job here.
A favorite here.

Ironically, I just recently purchased a Star Trek 2D/3D 5 BD~V disc STEELBOOK edition, brand new, from Jarvii in the EU for less than this mch SACD alone. Sometimes I think we audiophiles really get the raw deal. Thank the stars I'm a videophile, as well.:D

Ironically, I just recently purchased a Star Trek 2D/3D 5 BD~V disc STEELBOOK edition, brand new, from Jarvii in the EU for less than this mch SACD alone. Sometimes I think we audiophiles really get the raw deal. Thank the stars I'm a videophile, as well.:D

When you get Surround Sound in DSD at this level of quality, paying $25 is an easy call in my book.
As Chad Kassem once said "sometimes you want a burger and sometimes you want steak" in explaining why high resolution audio remasters cost more. :)

When you get Surround Sound in DSD at this level of quality, paying $25 is an easy call in my book.
As Chad Kassem once said "sometimes you want a burger and sometimes you want steak" in explaining why high resolution audio remasters cost more. :)

But if you can get FIVE steaks for the price of ONE........why not?

I like mine medium rare

Wow I will add this one to my bucket list!

apologies for the intrusion (after all it's none of my business what anybody does with their money!) but just popping in with a quicky to mention its a recording venue ambience style surround presentation, not like Bruce Botnick's 5.1 work on the Doors 'Perception' mixes and certainly miles away from his wonderful old Quad mixes (EW&F "Open Our Eyes", Weather Report "Tale Spinnin'", Mac Davis "All The Love In The World", "Burning Thing", Best Of Doors, etc) this has been a public service interference message from the FBBC! :ROFLMAO:

I think I am okay with that... Wouldn't it be similar to the John Williams DVD-Audio of A.I. in surround?

I think I am okay with that... Wouldn't it be similar to the John Williams DVD-Audio of A.I. in surround?
Pretty much. The draw here is the clarity and engagement of proper surround ambience, not the active surround use. Active surround is nice but it's not the alpha and omega of 5.1.

...just popping in with a quicky to mention its a recording venue ambience style surround presentation, not like Bruce Botnick's 5.1 work on the Doors 'Perception' mixes

I assume you're just referring to the debut album which was a 4-track recording and is presented on DVD-A by Mr. Botnick basically as L-C-R with studio ambience (not unlike the "surround" mixes of Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue or Brubeck's Time Out).

Admittedly I do prefer the old Best Of The Doors quad mixes to these new Perception 5.1's, but from Waiting For The Sun on things really pick up surround-wise, there are some really impressive discrete mixes. Morrison Hotel in particular is a real multichannel workout, with the wild 4-corner mix on "Land Ho!", Manzarek's synths discrete in the rears on "Waiting For The Sun", and Morrison's counter vocal in the rears during "Peace Frog" as just a few examples of the crazy surroundiness on that one.

ah well.. just thought I'd mention it in case of a case of discrete surround mix-itis (not saying i am a 'sufferer'.. but.. ok, i am much more so lately, i think the old discrete-o-tastic CBS Quads have ruined me forevermore! ;) ).

more seriously.. tbh i don't remember how the mix panned out on the A.I. 5.1, its been a number of years since i last played the DVD-A (which may be indicative of nothing of detriment since there's been so much new surround stuff the last few years I've neglected a lot of the old titles) is it active with unique stuff in the Rears or ambient with reverb back there etc.?

Pretty much. The draw here is the clarity and engagement of proper surround ambience, not the active surround use. Active surround is nice but it's not the alpha and omega of 5.1.

with respect, its a personal preference, please do speak for yourself rather than in absolutes, i'm a lot less engaged by an ambient surround music presentation than i am a discrete surround one :)

I assume you're just referring to the debut album which was a 4-track recording and is presented on DVD-A by Mr. Botnick basically as L-C-R with studio ambience (not unlike the "surround" mixes of Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue or Brubeck's Time Out).

Admittedly I do prefer the old Best Of The Doors quad mixes to these new Perception 5.1's, but from Waiting For The Sun on things really pick up surround-wise, there are some really impressive discrete mixes. Morrison Hotel in particular is a real multichannel workout, with the wild 4-corner mix on "Land Ho!", Manzarek's synths discrete in the rears on "Waiting For The Sun", and Morrison's counter vocal in the rears during "Peace Frog" as just a few examples of the crazy surroundiness on that one.

no i wasn't :)
the Perception MultiCh mixes, hamstrung by source material as some of them may (or may not) be, are to me more enjoyable surround sound than that Star Trek Nemesis disc.

Back