Star Wars - The Last Jedi RE-EDIT

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Star Wars Rankings (Numbers 1 & 2 never change; the others shift around from time to time):
1. IV A New Hope
2. V The Empire Strikes Back
3. Rogue 1
4. VI Return Of The Jedi
5. VII The Force Awakens
6. III Revenge Of The Sith
7. I The Phantom Menace
8. Solo
9. II Attack of the Clones
10. VIII The Last Jedi
Someone posted a very similar list on Facebook (Cliff, is that you?), and I'm baffled by it. Solo is a competent but not much more movie. I enjoyed it but agree it wasn't special. I've already spoken on Last Jedi, which is problematic, but to my mind is mainly problematic because it shares too much DNA with the prequels, especially Canto Bight, which is pure prequel.

It does occur to me that I might be an irrational prequel hater. Other people don't mind them, and my longtime girlfriend claims to like them better, although that's mostly just because it gives her joy to wind me up. But I just can't see them as anything but bafflingly awful cinematic garbage, not even rising to the level of mediocre.

I know it's cliche to whip it out, but the Plinkett reviews nail my feelings slightly too well:

Someone posted a very similar list on Facebook (Cliff, is that you?), and I'm baffled by it. Solo is a competent but not much more movie. I enjoyed it but agree it wasn't special. I've already spoken on Last Jedi, which is problematic, but to my mind is mainly problematic because it shares too much DNA with the prequels, especially Canto Bight, which is pure prequel.

It does occur to me that I might be an irrational prequel hater. Other people don't mind them, and my longtime girlfriend claims to like them better, although that's mostly just because it gives her joy to wind me up. But I just can't see them as anything but bafflingly awful cinematic garbage, not even rising to the level of mediocre.

I know it's cliche to whip it out, but the Plinkett reviews nail my feelings slightly too well:

Those Red Letter Media reviews are absolute classics and far more entertaining than the prequels, IMO!

My rankings:

1- Empire Strikes Back
2- The Last Jedi
3- Revenge of the Sith
4- A New Hope
5- The Force Awakens
6- Attack of the Clones
7- The Phantom Menace
8- Return of the Jedi

If I have to add in the Anthology films, which I usually list apart from the Saga films:

1- Empire Strikes Back
2- The Last Jedi
3- Rogue One
4- Revenge of the Sith
5- A New Hope
6- The Force Awakens
7- Solo
8- Attack of the Clones
9- The Phantom Menace
10- Return of the Jedi

1977 Star Wars - 10/10
1980 Empire Strikes Back - 11/10 😜
1983 Return of the Jedi - 9/10
1999 Phantom Menace - 8/10
2002 Attack of the Clones - 7/10
2005 Revenge of the Sith - 9/10
2015 Force Awakens - 7/10
2016 Rogue One - 7/10
2017 Last Jedi - 6/10
2018 Solo - 7/10

My Star Wars Rankings (Numbers 1 & 2 never change; the others shift around from time to time):
1. IV A New Hope
2. V The Empire Strikes Back
3. Rogue 1
4. VI Return Of The Jedi
5. VII The Force Awakens
6. III Revenge Of The Sith
7. I The Phantom Menace
8. Solo
9. II Attack of the Clones
10. VIII The Last Jedi

Looks about right. Although episode IV and V are tied for first place for me. Episode VI had its moments but was a bit boring & childish IMHO. Rogue 1 was the only film to do anything for me after that. The others are ok and to be sure have some good scenes here & there, but the thrill (or should I say "the force") is gone for the most part. Of course the later ones have excellent computer graphics and all that but so does every other film since Jurassic Park! I've only seen a couple of the animated films and the little that I did see was pretty good.

An interesting note: I've often heard 30-year olds who grew up watching episodes I-III say they feel those are the best.

Last edited:
Back