Station To Station 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Sherbon

QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Hi all

I just saw over at the hoffman site an announcement for reissue of Station-To-Station that includes 5.1! :banana:

Here's the announcement from the David Bowie site:
=======================
The return of the Thin White Duke...

It is with much pleasure that we can exclusively reveal details of the upcoming four disc special edition of the Station To Station album, originally released on RCA in January 1976.

Due in the first half of 2010 (we've learnt our lesson about giving exact dates this far in advance) the package will contain the following...

Station To Station Special Edition

Disc 1
CD = Original stereo Station To Station album
Disc 2
DVD = 5.1 Station To Station surround sound mix and original stereo album. 5.1 - Mixed by Harry Maslin.
Discs 3 & 4
2 x CDs = Uniondale, Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum March 23rd, 1976 - Mixed by Harry Maslin.

Live Nassau 1976 tracklisting

01 - Station To Station
02 - Suffragette City
03 - Fame
04 - Word On A Wing
05 - Stay
06 - Waiting For The Man
07 - Queen Bitch
08 - Life On Mars?
09 - Five Years
10 - Panic In Detroit (with most of drum solo edited out)
11 - Changes (with band Intro)
12 - TVC 15
13 - Diamond Dogs
14 - Rebel Rebel
15 - The Jean Genie

I know Nassau '76 has always been a popular show among Bowie fans, coming fourth as it did in our Bowie bootleg poll of last year. (04.26.2008 NEWS: VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE BOWIE BOOTLEG & 06.01.2008 NEWS: YOUR FAVOURITE BOWIE BOOTLEG POLL RESULTS)

The poll asked: "What other bootlegs would you like to see get the official treatment?". The Thin White Duke still came fourth even after I stipulated that it would be coming out anyway.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is that it's probably even more popular than our poll suggested. Either way, I for one can't wait to hear Harry's 5.1 mix of Station To Station and his mix of Live Nassau 1976.
=======================

Source: http://www.davidbowie.com/news/

EXCELLENT NEWS!!!:banana:

I guess it's never too late to rectify those "couldabeen MCH SACD" mistakes...

Let me be the first to hope that they will continue to at least "Let's Dance" (cause my favorite is "Scary Monsters")

Hi all

I just saw over at the hoffman site an announcement for reissue of Station-To-Station that includes 5.1! :banana:

Here's the announcement from the David Bowie site:
=======================
The return of the Thin White Duke...

It is with much pleasure that we can exclusively reveal details of the upcoming four disc special edition of the Station To Station album, originally released on RCA in January 1976.

Due in the first half of 2010 (we've learnt our lesson about giving exact dates this far in advance) the package will contain the following...

Station To Station Special Edition

Disc 1
CD = Original stereo Station To Station album
Disc 2
DVD = 5.1 Station To Station surround sound mix and original stereo album. 5.1 - Mixed by Harry Maslin.
Discs 3 & 4
2 x CDs = Uniondale, Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum March 23rd, 1976 - Mixed by Harry Maslin.

Live Nassau 1976 tracklisting

01 - Station To Station
02 - Suffragette City
03 - Fame
04 - Word On A Wing
05 - Stay
06 - Waiting For The Man
07 - Queen Bitch
08 - Life On Mars?
09 - Five Years
10 - Panic In Detroit (with most of drum solo edited out)
11 - Changes (with band Intro)
12 - TVC 15
13 - Diamond Dogs
14 - Rebel Rebel
15 - The Jean Genie

I know Nassau '76 has always been a popular show among Bowie fans, coming fourth as it did in our Bowie bootleg poll of last year. (04.26.2008 NEWS: VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE BOWIE BOOTLEG & 06.01.2008 NEWS: YOUR FAVOURITE BOWIE BOOTLEG POLL RESULTS)

The poll asked: "What other bootlegs would you like to see get the official treatment?". The Thin White Duke still came fourth even after I stipulated that it would be coming out anyway.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is that it's probably even more popular than our poll suggested. Either way, I for one can't wait to hear Harry's 5.1 mix of Station To Station and his mix of Live Nassau 1976.
=======================

Source: http://www.davidbowie.com/news/

Nice

It's about time - I had wondered what happened to the reissue program. I hope Low gets done done too.

Me too, this is GREAT news! I saw the 1976 tour in San Diego and it was stunning.

Let's also have Aladdin Sane 5.1 in there somewhere....

Makes sense for the delays -= in 2010 Bowie gets the back catalogue back again.
The Nassau gig will be awesome at long, long last.
And a 5.1 of Station to Station - Yippee!!

Semi-OT, but for the Bowie fans, there is also a 2CD "40th Anniversary" edition of the Space Oddity album coming out this october...no 5.1 on this one, the extra disc is outtakes, B sides and demo versions.

Semi-OT, but for the Bowie fans, there is also a 2CD "40th Anniversary" edition of the Space Oddity album coming out this october...no 5.1 on this one, the extra disc is outtakes, B sides and demo versions.

Probably the last of the ghastly re-issue series that saw such turkeys a the Ziggy 30th, Aladdin Sane etc.
Absolutely butchered.
Don't know who remastered these, (peter Mew is the name on the discs, not that this means much) but they are shockingly bad.
Hope Space Oddity (Or "Man Of Words, Man Of Music" as it was also known) isn't as badly done. The extras may well have the original of "Holy Holy", "Memory of a Free Festival" with Ronno etc.
Could be superb.

Never did find the multitrack stems for Space Oddity track that were promised from iTunes. That is to say the UK store listed them and said I couldn't have them and the US store never had them I'm aware of.

Anybody get these files?

Probably the last of the ghastly re-issue series that saw such turkeys a the Ziggy 30th, Aladdin Sane etc.
Absolutely butchered.
Don't know who remastered these, (peter Mew is the name on the discs, not that this means much) but they are shockingly bad.
Hope Space Oddity (Or "Man Of Words, Man Of Music" as it was also known) isn't as badly done. The extras may well have the original of "Holy Holy", "Memory of a Free Festival" with Ronno etc.
Could be superb.

from the NME article:

CD 2:
'Space Oddity' (Demo)
'An Occasional Dream' (Demo)
'Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud' (Single B-Side)
'Let Me Sleep Beside You' (BBC Radio Session)
'Unwashed And Somewhat Slightly Dazed' (BBC Radio Session)
'Janine' (BBC Radio Session)
'London Bye Ta-Ta' (Stereo Version)
'The Prettiest Star' (Stereo Version)
'Conversation Piece' (Stereo Version)
'Memory Of A Free Festival (Part 1) ' (Single A-Side)
'Memory Of A Free Festival (Part 2) ' (Single B-Side)
'Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud' (Alternate Album Mix)
'Memory Of A Free Festival' (Alternate Album Mix)
'London Bye Ta-Ta' (Alternate Stereo Mix)
'Ragazzo Solo, Ragazza Sola' (Full Length Stereo Version)

Since STATION is one of those albums that decodes well and always seemed to have surround potential, this is great news, if true, and hopefully will be worth owning. LOW and the next few Lp's would be welcome too, but STS is such a logical choice it almost seems to good to be true.

ED :)

Hopefully this puts the Bowie reissues back on track b/c the next in line is the "Berlin Trilogy". And even though it is the least popular of the three, it would be really interesting to hear Lodger in 5.1 Bowie and Visconti themselves have always lamented about the final mix of that album. Although, I've become so accustomed to the raw, soupy mix that maybe I wouldn't care for a clean up. But I'd still shell out the $$ for it.

I love "The Lodger" (as is) and "Low" and would really like to see 5.1 mixes of these as well as all of Bowie's material. Can't wait for "Station To Station" in 5.1! "Golden Years," "TVC15," "Wild is the Wind" and "Station To Station" in surround sound, wow! (y)

from the NME article:

CD 2:
'Space Oddity' (Demo)
'An Occasional Dream' (Demo)
'Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud' (Single B-Side)
'Let Me Sleep Beside You' (BBC Radio Session)
'Unwashed And Somewhat Slightly Dazed' (BBC Radio Session)
'Janine' (BBC Radio Session)
'London Bye Ta-Ta' (Stereo Version)
'The Prettiest Star' (Stereo Version)
'Conversation Piece' (Stereo Version)
'Memory Of A Free Festival (Part 1) ' (Single A-Side)
'Memory Of A Free Festival (Part 2) ' (Single B-Side)
'Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud' (Alternate Album Mix)
'Memory Of A Free Festival' (Alternate Album Mix)
'London Bye Ta-Ta' (Alternate Stereo Mix)
'Ragazzo Solo, Ragazza Sola' (Full Length Stereo Version)

Every single one there is already available. I have them all.
Still, I will probably buy this as well.....

Back