Steven Wilson working on 5.1 mixes of Tangerine Dream's "Phaedra" and "Ricochet"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never bothered with any of the CDs in the previous box sets...BUT...I can't remember buying a set with this many CDs in it...16...and King Crimson has 18CDs...of course the main attraction are the blu rays...as long as Steven worked on all the surround music....regardless of the source...I'm OK with it...the other factor for me is that Tangerine Dream is a "borderline" guilty pleasure....I like some of their music...and honestly haven't heard it all...

If you're a fan of the 80s sound, you're probably referring to the TD trio that included Johannes Schmoelling (the post-Peter Baumann trio). In the six years that Schmoelling was with TD, they added more keyboard solos to their sound and become more approachable. By moving away from the avant-garde stoic krautrock compositions of the past, TD was in demand by film directors, including the great Michael Mann (MM). In fact, MM's film, Thief, was the first in a litany of soundtracks that they would work on in the 80s. By the time I saw them live, in '86, they had become the kind of band that could get people out of their seats, which I certainly witnessed -- especially during the final encore when Paul Haslinger, the newest member of the TD trio, played the Schmoelling solos from the song Dominion.

Back