Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I'd LOVE for these two YOUNGBLOODS releases to be included on D~V's upcoming release schedule

THE YOUNGBLOODS -
Best. RCA PQ8-1617 (Q8)
Get Together. RCA EPQA-3724-QF (QR), PQ8-1221 (Q8)

The Youngbloods ‎– Get Together The Youngbloods First Album Label ...

The Youngbloods Vinyl Record Albums

And a possible 2 SACD set could also include the YOUNGBLOODS third album {in STEREO} ELEPHANT MOUNTAIN

The Youngbloods - Elephant Mountain [New CD] Extended Ed 90771625625 | eBay
Oh 'ya, any of those would be keepers!

It is rumored that Jonathan Livingston Seagull was mixed in quad at the time of it’s release but the quad mix never made it to pressing. This would be a good choice to release in quad if it is indeed available.
The only quad I ever saw from Neil Diamond was "Serenade", which I have. I wasn't aware there was another one.

These albums are available in quad format on Tidal?
it is off topic, but normally the 360ra albums are those quads. i think it would be better to discuss in another thread. perhaps with short examples, because i dont have those original quads. any idea where to open another thread? - is it allowed to post short examples? or only audacity-screens?

I hope this isn't too far off topic (1st time I've read about taking into account stereo playback of SQ encoded content).
https://www.worldradiohistory.com/A...idelity/70s/High-Fidelity-1973-04.pdf#page=22
^^^
Huh, interesting discussion of Bernstein's Oedipus Rex for Columbia being in quad - seems a prime candidate for DV: https://www.discogs.com/release/495...ravinskyBoston-Symphony-Orchestra-Oedipus-Rex

What about it, @steelydave?

Last edited:
it is off topic, but normally the 360ra albums are those quads. i think it would be better to discuss in another thread. perhaps with short examples, because i dont have those original quads. any idea where to open another thread? - is it allowed to post short examples? or only audacity-screens?
Posting samples of copyrighted material is not permitted.

Posting samples of copyrighted material is not permitted.
Prior to reading your post, I had thought that up to 10% or 30 second clips (whichever is shorter) of copyrighted material for educational purposes came under fair use laws.

However, this document below makes it clear that posting copyrighted material on a public forum such as ours is not permitted without permission. :(

https://lasierra.edu/fileadmin/documents/library/copyright-and-fair-use-guidelines.pdf

I'm not sure if the impetus was external (ie AF's recent quad reissues) or internal but it seems like whoever's in charge of the catalog division at Sony (who own all this RCA stuff as well) has finally realised that mining their catalog a little more deeply and broadly than they have in the past is basically like 'money for old rope' to use a British expression. Maybe they finally reached the saturation point (sales wise) with reissues of Kind Of Blue and Take 5 and decided they were going to look a little deeper in to the vault.

I really hope these discs are successful for Vocalion because there are a ton of titles they could do between the RCA and Sony catalogs - they've hit most of the major RCA artists with this initial release, but both Mancini and Montenegro have tons of other quad releases and a lot of them are great fun. Yeah, it's not as cool and doesn't rock like some of the stuff that AF has put out, but the sound quality and surround mixes are impeccable. One of the fun things for me about getting in to quad was finding (and enjoying) a lot of artists that were never on my radar and the Mancini and Montenegro quads definitely fall in to that category. I especially love Mancini's 'Symphonic Soul' album from 1975 so I hope Vocalion can at least get to that one. I'm not sure what their access to the Sony easy listening catalog is like, but there are plenty on that side too including Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis, Percy Faith, and Ray Conniff amongst others - between those 4 artists alone I wouldn't be surprised if there are near enough 40 quad mixes.
Vocalion has already released "Symphonic Soul" on SACD. I'm also happy to see the inclusion of Project 3 quad albums into their repertoir. Columbia also has artists, such as Barbra Streisand, Jim Nabors, and I'll agree with Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis, and let's have more from Percy Faith, and Andre Kostelanetz. Peter Nero? Sure! They have a mountain of great classical quad recordings that deserve release. Arista had some nice quad albums, but the pressings were terrible. So let's see some Barry Manilow, Melissa Manchester, Eric Carman, etc. from that label. Vocalion also released some fine quad albums from Paul Mauriat, on Philips, but their sister label, Polydor, has James Last. While there haven't been many surround releases from "Hansi", aside from some compilation albums, remixed in their "AMSI" system, but if any multichannel master tapes still exist in Polydor's vaults, I know I'd welcome some DISCRETE quad from them. The list goes on and on...

Who has the rights to the old Arista label? I think it's Sony.

DV has done a pretty good number of releases with agreements with Sony. There's some stuff from Arista that would fit perfectly with their usual genre. Manilow. Manchester. Broadway cast of Godspell. Tony Orlando and Dawn. Funny Lady soundtrack. (Although I'm sure Manilow likely has final say on his stuff. He seems the type and I don't blame him.)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Arista.htm

Who has the rights to the old Arista label? I think it's Sony.

DV has done a pretty good number of releases with agreements with Sony. There's some stuff from Arista that would fit perfectly with their usual genre. Manilow. Manchester. Broadway cast of Godspell. Tony Orlando and Dawn. Funny Lady soundtrack. (Although I'm sure Manilow likely has final say on his stuff. He seems the type and I don't blame him.)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Arista.htm
Sony control Arista now, yes.

unfortunately, for a while now it's been suggested some of the Arista tapes are missing from the vault, which would make sense as DV would've probably remastered at least some of those titles by now, if they were available, as you say they seem like a natural fit.

that, plus when Sony went on their 360 Reality Audio drive and released a slew of old Quads in the format in streaming form, the only Arista Quad title they issued at that time was Melissa Manchester's "Better Days & Happy Endings" (which is great in Quad streaming in Dolby Audio on Apple Music by the way!)

strangely, Sony didn't release any of the other Arista Quads at that time, not even the other Melissa Manchester Quad ("Melissa"), nor The Outlaws, Brecker Brothers, Godspell, Tony Orlando, Barry Manilow.

such a shame, there's some good stuff on Arista and the original CD-4's weren't upto much pressing wise and as for the Q8s, well 8-track is, well, it's just 8-track.. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I'm going to guess maybe those quad masters never got moved in the handover....or just got lost in the shuffle. 😢
that's quite possible, sadly 😔

essentially, if it's an ABC/Command, A&M, or Arista Quad, you should not get your hopes up too high for a reissue from the discrete mastertapes 😭

that said, it's a fluid situation of course, some or all of them may pop up somewhere someday, who knows! 🙏 as QQ's Ryan/rtbluray says; "hope Springs eternal"..! 🤞

Would DV have access to Gilbert O'Sullivan quads? I'd buy those in a heartbeat.
potentially.. although might be one for Rhino after all, i don't know?

Gilbert's Quads were released on MAM/London.

MAM was sold in the 1980s to Chrysalis.

Following the sale of Chrysalis to EMI in 1991, many recordings previously owned by MAM were reissued by EMI.

After the breakup of EMI in 2013, Chrysalis was sold to BMG.

Now MAM's catalogue belongs to BMG, and is distributed by Warner Music.

potentially.. although might be one for Rhino after all, i don't know?

Gilbert's Quads were released on MAM/London.

MAM was sold in the 1980s to Chrysalis.

Following the sale of Chrysalis to EMI in 1991, many recordings previously owned by MAM were reissued by EMI.

After the breakup of EMI in 2013, Chrysalis was sold to BMG.

Now MAM's catalogue belongs to BMG, and is distributed by Warner Music.
Oh, that's a snarly snaky lineage 🐍 my my my :LOL: Just give me the Chaka Kahn please 🙏

that's quite possible, sadly 😔

essentially, if it's an ABC/Command, A&M, or Arista Quad, you should not get your hopes up too high for a reissue from the discrete mastertapes 😭

that said, it's a fluid situation of course, some or all of them may pop up somewhere someday, who knows! 🙏 as QQ's Ryan/rtbluray says; "hope Springs eternal"..! 🤞

I wonder what the legalities would be, say if somebody came forward with an old Production Master 1/2", 4-track, 15 i.p.s. of an ABC title? Granted it's not the MASTER Master tape, but it's probably all that exists. Say a person had one of these tapes in their possession, and would be willing to loan it to D-V at a small cost, if they (DV) could get licensing clearance to release it?

But then, what would happen to that tape set? Would it have to be returned to ABC or would it be returned to the person who liberated it? If the rights-owners to the ABC catalog requested (or demanded) to keep it, could the liberator be compensated for the loss of an item he/she/they spent actual money on to procure in the first place?

I suspect some sort of contract would have to be written up and decided upon.

I wonder what the legalities would be, say if somebody came forward with an old Production Master 1/2", 4-track, 15 i.p.s. of an ABC title? Granted it's not the MASTER Master tape, but it's probably all that exists. Say a person had one of these tapes in their possession, and would be willing to loan it to D-V at a small cost, if they (DV) could get licensing clearance to release it?

But then, what would happen to that tape set? Would it have to be returned to ABC or would it be returned to the person who liberated it? If the rights-owners to the ABC catalog requested (or demanded) to keep it, could the liberator be compensated for the loss of an item he/she/they spent actual money on to procure in the first place?

I suspect some sort of contract would have to be written up and decided upon.
good question! i think i know which artist you're maybe referring to! 😉

in such a circumstance, i don't think the label that controls the catalogue now (Universal) could demand to keep the old ABC tape as Universal are 'only' the owners of the recorded contents and not the owner of the physical tape itself.

however the two parties could potentially come to some arrangement whereby the tape's owner allows the label to make a copy of the tape's contents, maybe for a fee or something, i really don't know how it works but it's a great idea in the case of missing masters!

Prior to reading your post, I had thought that up to 10% or 30 second clips (whichever is shorter) of copyrighted material for educational purposes came under fair use laws.

However, this document below makes it clear that posting copyrighted material on a public forum such as ours is not permitted without permission. :(

https://lasierra.edu/fileadmin/documents/library/copyright-and-fair-use-guidelines.pdf
Well, US copyright law--its Fair Use provision, in particular--is anything but clear. It's not that posting 30-second (or 10%) clips on a public forum is unambiguously impermissible; rather, it's that, in the current climate, where the courts' interpretations of copyright law have been skewing in favor of huge corporations who can sue a forum like ours into bankruptcy, they would be exceedingly risky and therefore unwise. That's why the La Sierra University library's official guidelines--like those of pretty much every college and university in the country--are so cautious.

On related note: QQ users pissed off about--erm, interested in--copyright law might like to read New Yorker writer Louis Menand's review of a hot new book on copyright and "intellectual property," Who Owns This Sentence?: A History of Copyrights and Wrongs:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...gs-david-bellos-alexandre-montagu-book-review

Sony control Arista now, yes.

unfortunately, for a while now it's been suggested some of the Arista tapes are missing from the vault, which would make sense as DV would've probably remastered at least some of those titles by now, if they were available, as you say they seem like a natural fit.

that, plus when Sony went on their 360 Reality Audio drive and released a slew of old Quads in the format in streaming form, the only Arista Quad title they issued at that time was Melissa Manchester's "Better Days & Happy Endings" (which is great in Quad streaming in Dolby Audio on Apple Music by the way!)

strangely, Sony didn't release any of the other Arista Quads at that time, not even the other Melissa Manchester Quad ("Melissa"), nor The Outlaws, Brecker Brothers, Godspell, Tony Orlando, Barry Manilow.
AND the Eric Carmen album.

I've seen no evidence that any Arista tapes are missing at all. Their quad mixed album titles are not exactly the highest rated albums ever mixed in the format. I can very easily see how DV or AF would pass on any (or all) of them when they have (or had) all those Sony titles and the odd Warner titles (and the rare Uni) to consider. It's just not real hot stuff there even if I would love the Eric Carmen, and The Outlaws just because their are the respective artists in the very prime, and might sound great. Maybe Melissa Manchester actually does better on streaming song for song than the others do with the exception of Manilow which I do not see DV touching, and never imagined AF would have either. Dawn? Ummm, no.

Back