Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just recorded in Dave Mason's Split Coconut, which unfortunately is one of those later SQ-only releases from Columbia (others are Bob Dylan's Desire, Billy Joel's Turnstiles, various O'Jays albums, and of course Johnnie Taylor's Eargasm, etc). The album has a fun "tropical vacation" vibe sort of like Loggins & Messina's Full Sail. Nice surround effect through the Involve decoder, especially that wah-wah guitar coming from the rears in track 4 "Save Your Love".

As I've said before, I think the 3 Mason quads (and any potential unreleased ones, such as 1977's Let It Flow) would be killer releases for D-V.
It's Like You Never Left and one other one to go with it like Split Coconut,

It would seem a two-fer yes.

It's Like You Never Left and one other one to go with it like Split Coconut,

It would seem a two-fer yes.

tbh I don't know how they fit into his catalogue or how they were received at the time and never heard those mid-70's Dave Mason albums at all until getting into the Quad from SQ LP thru the Surround Master thing which was only a few years ago but wow to me they are really great records and nice Quads!

they get somewhat less "Quaddy" from 73's "Its Like You Never Left" which is a really aggressive mix, 74's self-titled album mix is still active but maybe slightly less bash you over the head Quad than ILYNL but the eponymous one is my favourite album of the 3 Quads that saw release.. while I found "Split Coconut" from '75 the most subtle surround of the 3 mixes, its still nice and musically funky with a kinda island/beach almost Hawaiian feel in places, vibes and marimbas that kinda thing.

I hope some or all of these get a new audience on Surround SACD from DV someday, I think they'd be well-received by members here :)

I’m not sure I understand any of the controversy in the couple of posts above.... Maybe I’m missing something. I just want to say I have bought and enjoyed the heck out of every one of D/V’s quad releases. Regardless of genre. I’m talking about a lot of discs. I think that this label is doing really important work, and making it available for a price that represents an unreal value to me. I will buy every quad reissue they put out, and I hope they continue for a long time.

Of course I have to put out my special interests: everything available from Santana, Edgar or Johnny Winter.

The Aerosmith quads including GYW and Rocks would be mind blowing.

But whatever, just keep reissuing it D/V, this fan will buy it.

And thank you.

I’m not sure I understand any of the controversy in the couple of posts above.... Maybe I’m missing something. I just want to say I have bought and enjoyed the heck out of every one of D/V’s quad releases. Regardless of genre. I’m talking about a lot of discs. I think that this label is doing really important work, and making it available for a price that represents an unreal value to me. I will buy every quad reissue they put out, and I hope they continue for a long time.

Of course I have to put out my special interests: everything available from Santana, Edgar or Johnny Winter.

The Aerosmith quads including GYW and Rocks would be mind blowing.

But whatever, just keep reissuing it D/V, this fan will buy it.

And thank you.

Welcome to the forum:hi....there is no controversy...just a few members exchanging views on shipping...sometimes it can be a problem...and I think everybody on this site realizes the impact of the Dutton releases...amazing to get these releases at this time....so many years removed from the Quad days of the 70's...at an unbelievable price...we need some more "active" members on here...and I hope you join in the threads(y)

excellent! glad you got your latest DV shipment and thrilled you're loving the Poco SACD! :love:

it may never get better than this Poco 2-fer but i'll bet that won't stop DV trying to top it all the same!
can you wait to see what's coming next? i can't!! it's nearly August... ;)

are you a member of Mr.Hoffman's forum btw? there's a cool thread over there about this latest clutch, always good to spread the DV good news!

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-bofill-in-stereo.760218/page-7#post-19201556

The only thing is, SHM seems to be quite stereo centric sometimes. However I’ve only loitered (like I did here for a few years :rolleyes:) so I guess not really seeing the big picture.

Keep spreading the good word fredblue, hell yes...

And if I’m not very much mistaken - Mr Hoffman did the AF quad remasters?

Oooh cagey, what you got?! (Great album!!!)

We got DV! :cool:

The only thing is, SHM seems to be quite stereo centric sometimes. However I’ve only loitered (like I did here for a few years :rolleyes:) so I guess not really seeing the big picture.

everywhere's stereo centric all the time! :LOL:

QQ is the exception of course (although we do Big Stereo too! ;))
but us Quaddies have a lot to do to turn the tide.. all together now! :rocks

everywhere's stereo centric all the time! :LOL:

QQ is the exception of course (although we do Big Stereo too! ;))
but us Quaddies have a lot to do to turn the tide.. all together now! :rocks

Boy, you’ve got to carry that weight...

5 speakers and a subwoofer! Bloody Hell where’s the SHM login?!

If only they knew the power of the quad side!

Let me mention something to you since you haven't been around for very long...or in your lurking you never noticed....a lot of the members on here routinely poked fun at our 2 channel brothers...I've even done so myself....but gradually there has been a shift on here toward SHF....a more reasonable and long overdue respect is now apparent on here...there is a lot of good information on there and good posters...and some of our most prominent members post over there....I've been a member over there for 4 years but I've never posted...but lately I have given thanks on several posts....mostly for our members that post there...I just hope we can continue to respect our music loving brothers at SHF...I've been extremely happy to see a few of their members come over here...that's real progress...just don't be too hard on our 2 channel friends..instead...try to bring them from the dark 2 channel side over to surround nirvana:cool:

Let me mention something to you since you haven't been around for very long...or in your lurking you never noticed....a lot of the members on here routinely poked fun at our 2 channel brothers...I've even done so myself....but gradually there has been a shift on here toward SHF....a more reasonable and long overdue respect is now apparent on here...there is a lot of good information on there and good posters...and some of our most prominent members post over there....I've been a member over there for 4 years but I've never posted...but lately I have given thanks on several posts....mostly for our members that post there...I just hope we can continue to respect our music loving brothers at SHF...I've been extremely happy to see a few of their members come over here...that's real progress...just don't be too hard on our 2 channel friends..instead...try to bring them from the dark 2 channel side over to surround nirvana:cool:

Yes I know that old chap! Don’t worry we’re on the same team. I also find super deluxe edition a great resource which always has a great swing back to SHF or visa versa. I’m only saying that a great HiRez surround mix sounds a lot better then a gold CD which sometimes (in a very blinkered view) I’ve seen some people on SHF bang on about. ‘The levels of human hearing bollocks blah blah...’

The more people talking about good sounding music the better as far as I’m concerned...

Yes I know that old chap! Don’t worry we’re on the same team. I also find super deluxe edition a great resource which always has a great swing back to SHF or visa versa. I’m only saying that a great HiRez surround mix sounds a lot better then a gold CD which sometimes (in a very blinkered view) I’ve seen some people on SHF bang on about. ‘The levels of human hearing bollocks blah blah...’

The more people talking about good sounding music the better as far as I’m concerned...

ah.. but does a gold SACD sound better than a silver DVD-A! let's have a heated debate! ;)

Back