Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A different suggestion for D-V and a question:
1) I'm extra happy with the two-fer, would be good if from the D-V site would be possible to download the artwork for the SEPARATE album, with the SACD and Vocalion logo. At present time i'm doin'it by hand, since i prefer to have all album as standalone, even on twofers or threefers (the most fun was to separate the 5 original album from a 2-CD uk release of KC & Sunshine Band...)
2) I've ripped the disc now and MFSB has a weird authoring namescheme: on track 8 "Morning Tears", it does appear authored as "Wansel Morning Tears", while track 7 appears rightly as "When your love is gone". BOTH tracks n the traycard has "featuring Dexter Wansel", so i wonder why track 7 has no mention of Wansel and track 8 does. This is true for both stereo and quad layers.

Your best bet is to edit the metadata once you copy the music files from the album(s).
Then you can label the artist, album title, genre, etc. any way that you like.

A program like Tag and Rename or MP3 File comes in very handy.
I always review and edit the metadata after copying the music files before I play them. Then all issues - including the "Wansel" situation - is resolved.

Tag and Rename
https://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm
MP3 Edit
https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Your best bet is to edit the metadata once you copy the music files from the album(s).
Then you can label the artist, album title, genre, etc. any way that you like.

Already done with the FLAC conversion, also corrected the "MFSB " and "MFSB " (one and two blank spaces) to regular MFSB.
But for people that plays DSD directly from the ISO with Jriver and so on it's a mess.

It's not a mess on playing, it's a mess on metadata, which are not constant on the iso.

Already done with the FLAC conversion, also corrected the "MFSB " and "MFSB " (one and two blank spaces) to regular MFSB.
But for people that plays DSD directly from the ISO with Jriver and so on it's a mess.

Almost every text field on every DV SACD I own has one or more trailing spaces. I always modify metadata, so it's not really a problem, but it's certainly unusual.

If trailing blanks are all I can find to criticize, things are pretty good! :)

Just discovered the other day that my Bruce Cockburn SACD identifies him as "Coburn". Oops.

SADE has never had any high res physical disc releases....much less multichannel remixes. An appalling oversight, IMO. Her albums exude Class, Style, melody to spare and awesome sonics...even on RBCD so why not a SADE SACD box set in stereo?

BTW, were any of her albums remixed in surround? The mystery continues.

See the source image

SADE has never had any high res physical disc releases....much less multichannel remixes. An appalling oversight, IMO. Her albums exude Class, Style, melody to spare and awesome sonics...even on RBCD so why not a SADE SACD box set in stereo?

BTW, were any of her albums remixed in surround? The mystery continues.

See the source image

No official surround discs, but there is a DVD of one of her concerts that 5.1, and if you run "Diamond Life" through SPEC or an SM, you get some pretty nice surround. For example, on "Hang on to your Love", the little guitar snippets that play ever couple of measures alternate between rear left and rear right very discretely. Check it out if you have the stuff.

And you're right, he stuff would be nice in studio surround.

No official surround discs, but there is a DVD of one of her concerts that 5.1, and if you run "Diamond Life" through SPEC or an SM, you get some pretty nice surround. For example, on "Hang on to your Love", the little guitar snippets that play ever couple of measures alternate between rear left and rear right very discretely. Check it out if you have the stuff.

And you're right, he stuff would be nice in studio surround.

Jon, I just posted this in another thread but IMO, this BD~V in DTS HD MA 5.1 is UNMISSABLE [mostly ambient surrounds but a few discrete elements]:

61jtD%2BXrbkL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Pupsta, if you don't have the one I listed above [Bring Me Home Live] BUY IT IMMEDIATELY. Absolutely stunning from the first frame to the last. IMO, brilliantly done!

Would probably decode well through your Surround Master v.2 via the included PCM hi res Stereo Track!

Ha - you little mind reader you, may even decode better than her CDs.:unsure:

I would love to see some Jim Croce releases by DV
Jim Croce's widow controls Jim's masters and she was approached concerning multichannel reissues and was NOT at all interested.

Assuming that's true, it's a real shame because the ones that I have heard are quite discrete and quite good. But the Q8's can suffer from wow and flutter.

I have heard Rock On (the song) on the radio through the Surround Master - sounds amazing

the whole Rock On album is sha-ma-zing in Quad!! the SQ decodes well and the Q8 sounds good but if DV are of a mind and can secure licencing it'd be a great one to get the SACD upgrade treatment!

Back