• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
How about The Youngbloods' Get Together & Best Of The Youngbloods as a two-fer? The Best Of album in particular has some really nice mixes. Their big hit "Get Together" is actually mixed differently on each release (the Best Of version is much more discrete).
YES........PRETTY PLEASE YES . Would even love a Stereo SACD remaster of the Youngblood's RIDE THE WIND!

Last edited:

JonUrban

Administrator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
How about The Youngbloods' Get Together & Best Of The Youngbloods as a two-fer? The Best Of album in particular has some really nice mixes. Their big hit "Get Together" is actually mixed differently on each release (the Best Of version is much more discrete).
This would be an EXCELLENT D-V two-fer. What a great suggestion. Good job!

QQ POST OF THE MONTH

ar surround

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
@sjcorne mentioned in the Charlie Rich Behind Closed Doors poll about how good the Columbia quads are. I would love to get The Best of Mountain. Mountain was a heavy/grungy sounding band; and that grungy sound is really clear on the quad. You can hear all of the instruments very clearly which is not how the music comes across in stereo. The improvement is readily noticeable even on the SQ vinyl. I don't know if Climbing and Nantucket Sleighride were ever done as quads. That would make a nice two-fer. But if not, then The Best of Mountain would be great even as a one-fer like the Garfunkel quads.

britmarc

Reaction score
I am surprised that D-V has not issued some of the British artists quads such as David Essex;
Mott the Hoople; Argent; and maybe contact Ray O'Sullivan (Gilbert) directly for his two albums
- And hopefully the unreleased Rod Stewart's; Leo Sayer; and the New Seekers (Elektra USA but
Polydor in the UK).... Thoughts anyone...???

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
I am surprised that D-V has not issued some of the British artists quads such as David Essex;
Mott the Hoople; Argent; and maybe contact Ray O'Sullivan (Gilbert) directly for his two albums
- And hopefully the unreleased Rod Stewart's; Leo Sayer; and the New Seekers (Elektra USA but
Polydor in the UK).... Thoughts anyone...???
Hopefully MJD is just getting his feet wet in all of this, with many years ahead for getting to various titles. After all there are probably road blocks of various types between age/condition, availability and usage/ownership rights of the material. Also, if he's doing the all the heavy lifting of mastering all these titles, there's only so many hours in the day - the man's not a machine:)

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
How about "Hair" ?
I wonder how hard it would be to get claws into multitracks for something like.... The Rocky Horror Picture Show and release the soundtrack in a vintage sounding 4.0 Quad mix? All those 24-track tapes were baked, transferred and digitized a few years ago now.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
How about "Hair" ?
I wonder how hard it would be to get claws into multitracks for something like.... The Rocky Horror Picture Show and release the soundtrack in a vintage sounding 4.0 Quad mix? All those 24-track tapes were baked, transferred and digitized a few years ago now.
I have the QUAD Open Reel of HAIR which I haven't played for [literally] decades and IMO, it would be a slam dunk D~V QUAD SACD release!

See the source image

And perhaps someone could assemble the Rocky Horror Picture Show's 24 tracks and release them as well although I do anticipate a UHD4K Native Remaster down the road .... perhaps with ATMOS!
Is a 4K Remaster with ATMOS in OUR FUTURE?

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Donny Hathaway - Extension Of A Man Quad Mix 1973 & Don Sebesky - Giant Box Quad Mix 1973
would be great new
Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD's

I believe Donny Hathaway is on the Atlantic/Warner label so probably not......but would LOVE Don Sebesky's GIANT BOX from CTI! And how 'bout George Benson's stunning WHITE RABBIT from CTI in SACD Stereo [no QUAD mix exists]?

See the source image

Last edited:

britmarc

Reaction score
Eric Records has been using a system called ''Digitally Extracted Stereo'' - Could a similar system be used to 'repair' the Dawns GH; Tommy James GH; etc???

BTW - Rock Around the Clock and Jailhouse Rock sound pretty good in DES.....

humprof

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Didn't we hear recently from other members that the 5.1 and 7.1 mixes on the 2014 35th Anniversary Blu-Ray were very discrete? If so, then those are likely new mixes made from those baked-and-digitized multis, yeah?

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Bump Bumpity Bump
Still waiting for any of these