Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d be up for Mancini’s Lifeforce soundtrack on sacd

Lifeforce [the soundtrack], unfortunately, was not remixed in 5.1. Probably best to wait for a proper UHD 4K transfer of LIFEFORCE for a repurposed Dolby Atmos Soundtrack!

Until then van....the closest to a 4K remaster is this steelbook version [read the review] https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Lifeforce-Blu-ray/204254/#Review

91zGKkX%2BG7L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Lifeforce [the soundtrack], unfortunately, was not remixed in 5.1. Probably best to wait for a proper UHD 4K transfer of LIFEFORCE for a repurposed Dolby Atmos Soundtrack!

Until then van....the closest to a 4K remaster is this steelbook version [read the review] https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Lifeforce-Blu-ray/204254/#Review

91zGKkX%2BG7L._SL1500_.jpg
This looks really cool... never saw this flick. I've been seeing a lot of blu-rays coming out that are "4k scans" of old horror movies from the eighties. Do you think it's likely that these films will eventually be released as UHD discs? Why aren't they just releasing them that way now? Is it a sinister "double-dip" scheme?

I'm thrilled with the Indian Res album and even more so over the unreleased (hopefully different than the Robin Reel) Hard & Heavy. I mentioned this release to Mr. Mark over Fishbook tonight. A man famously of few words, but I did prod for a little info and got this reply:

View attachment 42086
Shame he's not a fan. But, as the creator of this work - I can understand why. They should have at least tried to get his input. I mean, the album was mixed to Quad by Al Lawrence and Larry Keyes - two parts of the Holy Trinity of Quad. If they'd have had the Big Cat himself in the mixing room with them, I think a good Quad album could've been a GREAT Quad album.

One Upon A Time... In Hollywood
The soundtrack with three Raiders tracks including Mr. Sun, Mr. Moon is the #1 bestseller on Amazon currently, and the film had the best opening weekend ever for a Tarantino flick...
Quite a coincidence that the quad was released the same week.

Judging from his Twitter feed, no one is more giddy about ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ than Paul Revere & the Raiders’ singer Mark Lindsay

July 24, 1971

EAPLuVlXkAAs-7E

Last edited:
One Upon A Time... In Hollywood
The soundtrack with three Raiders tracks including Mr. Sun, Mr. Moon is the #1 bestseller on Amazon currently, and the film had the best opening weekend ever for a Tarantino flick...
Quite a coincidence that the quad was released the same week.

Judging from his Twitter feed, no one is more giddy about ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ than Paul Revere & the Raiders’ singer Mark Lindsay

July 24, 1971

EAPLuVlXkAAs-7E

That’s a great list of songs, though never heard of #5 (Jean Knight) and #14 (8th Day)

That's exactly what I said to Mark! Must've been a coincidence, right? lol D-V must really be on the ball with this kinda thing. Interestingly, there's 4 Raiders' songs in the movie, but only 3 on the soundtrack. I just saw the movie last night. I'm not 100% sure what I think about it yet, other than it's attention to detail was over the top. About the only anachronism I could find was when they did a close up of Sharon Tate's turntable, it showed a modern Audio-Technica cartridge. I allow things like non-60's vintage traffic lights or anachronistic painted road lines because that would just be ridiculous cost inefficient to change.
I had an Audio Technica cartridge in the early 70's. Maybe they were around in the late 60's?

This looks really cool... never saw this flick. I've been seeing a lot of blu-rays coming out that are "4k scans" of old horror movies from the eighties. Do you think it's likely that these films will eventually be released as UHD discs? Why aren't they just releasing them that way now? Is it a sinister "double-dip" scheme?

Lifeforce is a great 80's flick directed by Poltergeist/Texas Chainsaw Massacre director Tobe Hooper featuring a stunning Henry Mancini soundtrack [he credits it as one of his favorite scores]. The movie did so so at the box office but has since achieved cult status. And will it come out eventually on UHD4K ....... One can only HOPE!

Lifeforce is a great 80's flick directed by Poltergeist/Texas Chainsaw Massacre director Tobe Hooper featuring a stunning Henry Mancini soundtrack [he credits it as one of his favorite scores]. The movie did so so at the box office but has since achieved cult status. And will it come out eventually on UHD4K ....... One can only HOPE!
Saw it in 70MM when it was released. Sound was great from what I remember.

Is Jefferson Airplane possible rights wise? Volunteers or Worst of... would be a dream come true. Speaking of which, did either Sunfighter or Blows Against the Empire get mixed into quad back then? Any Hot Tuna in quad would sell like hot cakes.

Last edited:
Is Jefferson Airplane possible rights wise? Volunteers or Worst of... would be a dream come true. Speaking of which, did either Sunfighter or Blows Against the Empire get mixed into quad back then? Any Hot Tuna in quad would sell like hot cakes.

MAYBE- but probably not???
See this thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...arship-hot-tuna-catalogues.26055/#post-411705
AND THIS:
https://www.billboard.com/articles/...HDJT206a9_FGpfA4E8tGRZUHhrmWxGf5NZPudZZYXTIZk

Sunfighter, yes, Blows, no.

Back