Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about The Youngbloods' Get Together & Best Of The Youngbloods as a two-fer? The Best Of album in particular has some really nice mixes. Their big hit "Get Together" is actually mixed differently on each release (the Best Of version is much more discrete).

YES........PRETTY PLEASE YES . Would even love a Stereo SACD remaster of the Youngblood's RIDE THE WIND!

Last edited:
How about The Youngbloods' Get Together & Best Of The Youngbloods as a two-fer? The Best Of album in particular has some really nice mixes. Their big hit "Get Together" is actually mixed differently on each release (the Best Of version is much more discrete).

This would be an EXCELLENT D-V two-fer. What a great suggestion. Good job!

QQ POST OF THE MONTH

@sjcorne mentioned in the Charlie Rich Behind Closed Doors poll about how good the Columbia quads are. I would love to get The Best of Mountain. Mountain was a heavy/grungy sounding band; and that grungy sound is really clear on the quad. You can hear all of the instruments very clearly which is not how the music comes across in stereo. The improvement is readily noticeable even on the SQ vinyl. I don't know if Climbing and Nantucket Sleighride were ever done as quads. That would make a nice two-fer. But if not, then The Best of Mountain would be great even as a one-fer like the Garfunkel quads.

I am surprised that D-V has not issued some of the British artists quads such as David Essex;
Mott the Hoople; Argent; and maybe contact Ray O'Sullivan (Gilbert) directly for his two albums
- And hopefully the unreleased Rod Stewart's; Leo Sayer; and the New Seekers (Elektra USA but
Polydor in the UK).... Thoughts anyone...???

I am surprised that D-V has not issued some of the British artists quads such as David Essex;
Mott the Hoople; Argent; and maybe contact Ray O'Sullivan (Gilbert) directly for his two albums
- And hopefully the unreleased Rod Stewart's; Leo Sayer; and the New Seekers (Elektra USA but
Polydor in the UK).... Thoughts anyone...???
Hopefully MJD is just getting his feet wet in all of this, with many years ahead for getting to various titles. After all there are probably road blocks of various types between age/condition, availability and usage/ownership rights of the material. Also, if he's doing the all the heavy lifting of mastering all these titles, there's only so many hours in the day - the man's not a machine:)

How about "Hair" ?
I wonder how hard it would be to get claws into multitracks for something like.... The Rocky Horror Picture Show and release the soundtrack in a vintage sounding 4.0 Quad mix? All those 24-track tapes were baked, transferred and digitized a few years ago now.

I have the QUAD Open Reel of HAIR which I haven't played for [literally] decades and IMO, it would be a slam dunk D~V QUAD SACD release!

See the source image

And perhaps someone could assemble the Rocky Horror Picture Show's 24 tracks and release them as well although I do anticipate a UHD4K Native Remaster down the road .... perhaps with ATMOS!
71-QqcyvPpL._SL1500_.jpg
Is a 4K Remaster with ATMOS in OUR FUTURE?

Donny Hathaway - Extension Of A Man Quad Mix 1973 & Don Sebesky - Giant Box Quad Mix 1973
would be great new
Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD's

I believe Donny Hathaway is on the Atlantic/Warner label so probably not......but would LOVE Don Sebesky's GIANT BOX from CTI! And how 'bout George Benson's stunning WHITE RABBIT from CTI in SACD Stereo [no QUAD mix exists]?

See the source image

Last edited:
Eric Records has been using a system called ''Digitally Extracted Stereo'' - Could a similar system be used to 'repair' the Dawns GH; Tommy James GH; etc???

BTW - Rock Around the Clock and Jailhouse Rock sound pretty good in DES.....

I wonder how hard it would be to get claws into multitracks for something like.... The Rocky Horror Picture Show and release the soundtrack in a vintage sounding 4.0 Quad mix? All those 24-track tapes were baked, transferred and digitized a few years ago now.

Didn't we hear recently from other members that the 5.1 and 7.1 mixes on the 2014 35th Anniversary Blu-Ray were very discrete? If so, then those are likely new mixes made from those baked-and-digitized multis, yeah?

Right!

If they are going to tackle a Warners title, need something on the easier side of licensing, yet classic material, then a two-fer of:
Randy Newman - Sail Away
Randy Newman - Good Old Boys

Just seems so obvious if Joni, Jackson, Sabbath, Alice, etc. are not in the cards at this time. I'd hate to think the cost is a factor with Alice Cooper, and it is available, but would need to be a higher priced disc, or it's too far out for D/V's market?

Now if they want a hot selling Sony / RCA - BMG title, it's been pretty clear we need:
Santana (any of the great ones)
Janis Joplin - Pearl
Edgar Winter - Shock or At Night
Johnny Winter _ Still Alive, Saints, or JDW III
Blue Oyster Cult - T & M

At any rate we really need to see another Warner Records (WEA family) title to confirm it's actually doable. Even a James Taylor - Gorilla (full price no two-fer) announcement would lighten up my mood going into the new year. Or Bette Midler that needed to be non two-fer to cover the costs of a possible limited sales potential disc.

''More, more, more'' Andrea True Connection on Buddah which had the Gladys Knight quads - I wonder who has control of the Buddah catalogue these days....???

pretty sure its Sony.. we got the 2 x Cecil Holmes Quads from DV already, via Sony Music and those albums were originally on Buddah.

the peaceful waters flowing in the right direction, it's a better than good time, we really got to use our imagination to feel a song in our hearts again! a Gladys Knight DV Quad SACD'd be the best thing that ever ever ever ever happened to meeeeeeeeeeeeeee! 🤪

Back