Steven Wilson Suggestions for Steven Wilson multi-channel remixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
News of the World would be astounding.....at the hands of Wilson. OMG! And, while he's at it...if he could fix the anemic fidelity at the same time......whoa. Can you imagine NOTW with some bass? Warmer sounding.....Geez.....

It could sound better for sure!

“Jazz” is the album that has the most atrocious mix, IMO. The drum sound on that album is horrid. Considering they went back to Roy Thomas Baker for that one, I never really understood how they muffed it so badly.

It could sound better for sure!

“Jazz” is the album that has the most atrocious mix, IMO. The drum sound on that album is horrid. Considering they went back to Roy Thomas Baker for that one, I never really understood how they muffed it so badly.
Yeah. So, I was looking at the dynamic range of various versions of NOTW, and many are bad......I have the SHM SACD and it's shit. There is a 1986/1987 CD version that appears to be much better. I'm on the discogs hunt for it. I have a guy I'm waiting to hear back from to make sure he has what he says he has.

Yeah. So, I was looking at the dynamic range of various versions of NOTW, and many are bad......I have the SHM SACD and it's shit. There is a 1986/1987 CD version that appears to be much better. I'm on the discogs hunt for it. I have a guy I'm waiting to hear back from to make sure he has what he says he has.

I had all of their back catalogue as UK imports in late 80s. Got rid of it all when the US remasters came out in the 90s believing back then that if something was “remastered” it must be better. 😢

Has Wilson ever expressed any interest in Queen?

With all the attention the band has received lately, some new mixes/boxed sets/reissues of their catalog seems in order. And it seems the band is fine with surround. And Wilson seems a perfect match of them.

I’d love to hear “A Day at the Races”, “News of the World” and “Jazz” in surround at the very least!
Yes please! :51QQ

This has been mentioned before, I expect. I'd like to chime in and express a wish for Mr. Wilson to bring any or all of the (official) Talk Talk catalogue into the 21st Century. It's My Life and The Colour Of Spring are my favourite of their LPs, and just imagine what he could do with them... :) He'd enjoy the challenge, too, I reckon, and considering his stellar work on some fine new wave LPs in recent years, it's sure to be right up his street.

I agree, although I'd prefer Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock. I wonder who has the rights to the music now that Hollis has passed. They were done on different labels at the end.

I expect Laughing Stock would be difficult (and against the principles of the original recording) to mix in surround. Spirit of Eden in principle I'd love, but it could be detrimental to the feel (and arguably legacy) of the album. Warners own the EMI albums, Universal own Laughing Stock and the solo album AFAIK.

News of the World would be astounding.....at the hands of Wilson. OMG! And, while he's at it...if he could fix the anemic fidelity at the same time......whoa. Can you imagine NOTW with some bass? Warmer sounding.....Geez.....

Pretty sure I have read that multi tracks for News Of The World are lost. I hope that is wrong because I would love a high-def surround copy of all Queen up to Jazz!

I expect Laughing Stock would be difficult (and against the principles of the original recording) to mix in surround. Spirit of Eden in principle I'd love, but it could be detrimental to the feel (and arguably legacy) of the album. Warners own the EMI albums, Universal own Laughing Stock and the solo album AFAIK.

I'd like to hear Spirit Of Eden in surround, too. I agree that its atmosphere mightn't translate very well into 5.1, though.

Didn’t Mark Hollis himself said no to a surround remix when asked directly by Steven Wilson ?

Oh, I didn't know that; thanks for telling us. 🙁 He must have had his reasons, of course. Still ... such a shame. (No pun intended. 😉)

It's My Life and The Colour Of Spring are my favourite of their LPs
I reckon I picked up The Party's Over & The Colour of Spring in a large batch years ago and ended up keeping them (but not Natural History for whatever reasons). I got into Spirit of Eden, I don't know, four(?) or so years back, and then gradually got into them and their stuff clicked for me around two years ago. Thinking about it, I got A-Sides... just before Fopp in it's large scale went down, but that would have been intrigue for the 12" mixes and was some time before I picked up any of the proper albums. If I had to pick a favourite it would be Spirit of Eden at the moment, probably followed by The Colour of Spring. I haven't clicked with Laughing Stock yet. Renee and Tomorrow Started are standouts for me from It's My Life.

Didn’t Mark Hollis himself said no to a surround remix when asked directly by Steven Wilson ?
Interesting, didn't know that. Found the interview here.

I'd like to hear Spirit Of Eden in surround, too. I agree that its atmosphere mightn't translate very well into 5.1, though.
I think the atmosphere would translate quite nicely, in the right hands. The whole idea being to expand the soundstage and bring out some of the ambient bits that might get lost in two channels.

Since we're all here pitching ideas for remixes by SW, I would really love to hear him do anything by Oceansize. They were a terrific band of the early 2000's; they even opened for Porcupine Tree on a number of occasions. They only had four albums but they're all excellent.

Interesting, didn't know that. Found the interview here.

I think the atmosphere would translate quite nicely, in the right hands. The whole idea being to expand the soundstage and bring out some of the ambient bits that might get lost in two channels.

Since we're all here pitching ideas for remixes by SW, I would really love to hear him do anything by Oceansize. They were a terrific band of the early 2000's; they even opened for Porcupine Tree on a number of occasions. They only had four albums but they're all excellent.
Nice reading in that interview that “Out of the Blue” is one album he’d love to do. I wonder if Jeff Lynne would be amicable to it at all?

Does anyone know if there have ever been plans to remix the first three Blackfield albums? Curious that I've never heard mention of it, given that this was one of his highest profile projects outside of Porcupine Tree and his solo work.

I haven't clicked with Laughing Stock yet.

It's...difficult. But at some point its difficulty and weirdness and questionable musicality just fell into place for me. I absolutely love the "Natural History" collection, but as their non-compilation albums go, "Laughing Stock" went from "What the hell is this?" to my clear favorite.

Here’s the list (from 2009):

JAPAN: Tin Drum

I love this album, it's one of my favorites, and would have loved a 5.1 version of it by Steven Wilson. In fact, the first time I heard of Steven Wilson was because of his collaboration with some of Japan's former members (and obviously, Richard Barbieri later played keyboards in Porcupine Tree).
Unfortunately, according to Steve Jansen (Japan drummer), the "multi-track tapes were irreparably damaged, which means the music can not be remixed." So, sadly, it ain't gonna happen. :-(

I'd Love to see albums by Dream Theater get the multi-channel treatment by SW. While there's nothing wrong with the stereo mixes that we already have, I'm sure they would sound even better in 5.1 or Atmos on Blu-Ray (I know that two of their albums, Systematic Chaos & Dream Theater, came out in multi-channel).

I'd Love to see albums by Dream Theater get the multi-channel treatment by SW. While there's nothing wrong with the stereo mixes that we already have, I'm sure they would sound even better in 5.1 or Atmos on Blu-Ray (I know that two of their albums, Systematic Chaos & Dream Theater, came out in multi-channel).

he doesn’t like Dream Theater...

Back