Surround Master v2: Thoughts and Impressions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just a bit of related fluff on the hidden marvels of the Involve wonderbox!
last Christmas i stumbled upon a way of wiping out all lead vocals from a Quad track, post-decoding thru the Surround Master vn.1 (the Minnie Riperton track "Reasons" in SQ) i can't recall how right now 🤭
but by a wee bit of fiddle-diddle-diddling i was able to take her vocals out of the whole Quad mix and put the 4 channels back together to create a nifty 2-ch backing track! i also managed (somehow!) to do a 4-ch Quad instrumental track but with Mono Rears..
wah wah wah wah wah! the reasons for doing it are buried in deep places.. but it was pretty cool (i thought!) i did the same with a Janis Ian track from SQ LP through the Surround Master (to similarly "ooh! ahh!" effect!) so it wasn't just a one-off.. anyway here's a sample clip of a 'no-Minnie Minnie' track (for reference purposes only!)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11knCx7QRD7SlYrBVw6UGKMAU2USjZtOo/view?usp=drivesdk

and here's Janis Ian's "At Seventeen" Quad mix instrumental.. I whacked the summed Fronts into the Left channel (invert one of the decoded Front channels first and that wipes out the CF vocals) and the decoded Rears summed to mono are in the Right channel.. pointless but nifty isn't it!? 🥳

(for reference purposes only!)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WFrmrpVu4p87JR9RXG7NXRkA62u4C8iy

Yes the SM is a Karaoke machine if you go 5.1 and turn down the center. As to why anyone would want to do either is beyond me!

wow! that's new!
my SM Vn.1 doesn't do that, lead vocals are still in Front Left & Front Right whether in SQ or Involve mode with all 6 channels connected. i guess you must have updated it with the new model and the selectable 5.1 mode is doing some additional processing beyond the 4-ch/Quad setting?
(in which case that's big news!)

bah forget karaoke (and all the negative connotations) i think you're missing a trick! hearing your favourite music in instrumental form through the Surround Master can be really cool (and Steven Wilson seemingly digs instrumentals too, since he does it quite a bit with his remixes) and that the Surround Master enables you to do that with a tiny bit of fiddle farting about post-decoding is really fab!
(well i think so anyway.. you've created a unit that achieves incredible separation that enables all sorts of fun beyond the surround experience! let's celebrate it! 🎉

wow! that's new!
my SM Vn.1 doesn't do that, lead vocals are still in Front Left & Front Right whether in SQ or Involve mode with all 6 channels connected. i guess you must have updated it with the new model and the selectable 5.1 mode is doing some additional processing beyond the 4-ch/Quad setting?
(in which case that's big news!)

bah forget karaoke (and all the negative connotations) i think you're missing a trick! hearing your favourite music in instrumental form through the Surround Master can be really cool (and Steven Wilson seemingly digs instrumentals too, since he does it quite a bit with his remixes) and that the Surround Master enables you to do that with a tiny bit of fiddle farting about post-decoding is really fab!
(well i think so anyway.. you've created a unit that achieves incredible separation that enables all sorts of fun beyond the surround experience! let's celebrate it! 🎉
Actually you can do it on SM V1 just use the 5.1 front outputs and forget to connect the center

! hearing your favourite music in instrumental form through the Surround Master can be really cool (and Steven Wilson seemingly digs instrumentals too, since he does it quite a bit with his remixes)
That could be the marketing slogan: "The surround Master - it's like letting Steven Wilson loose on your cd collection" :) :51QQ

Because Karaoke is a blast if one has been drinking heavily.

That could be the marketing slogan: "The surround Master - it's like letting Steven Wilson loose on your cd collection" :) :51QQ

who hasn't had a sing song to a Steven Wilson instrumental..! :QQlove

as much as i've used it for old Quad LPs (and boy have i used it for Quad!!) my Surround Master really has been a Godsend for so many cherished albums that will probably never make it out in 5.1 or get the Steven Wilson treatment.

who hasn't had a sing song to a Steven Wilson instrumental..! :QQlove

as much as i've used it for old Quad LPs (and boy have i used it for Quad!!) my Surround Master really has been a Godsend for so many cherished albums that will probably never make it out in 5.1 or get the Steven Wilson treatment.
Yes, quite amazing. I am currently listening to an internet radio station called 'Oldies" and some good surround effects there :51QQ

Yes the SM is a Karaoke machine if you go 5.1 and turn down the center. As to why anyone would want to do either is beyond me!
Does that mean that if I feed a stereo signal to the SM I can get all common sounds in the center speaker and the left-only and right-only ones in their respective front speakers? No content-dependent?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I hooked up the V2 so I could switch between it, the V1 and the Tate II.
I noticed that the V2 had a warmer sound compared to the V1 approaching what I hear out of the Tate. I assume that is from the additional circuitry for the volume controls.
As for decoding I did not notice any difference between the V1 and V2. I really like the individual volume controls!
The blue LED's are really pretty but damn they are bright though not much more than the V1 IT'S JUST THAT THERE ARE SO MANY.
So I am going blue by adding blue LED's to the cabinet and playing nothing but Blue colored vinyl thru the V2 for the rest of the month. Once I have exhausted all the colored vinyl then I will switch to albums with Blue in the title, then songs and after that nothing but the blues.

I am really enjoying this and the external case is the improvement this decoder needed and the autographs are a great touch, Thanks Guys!

I noticed that the V2 had a warmer sound compared to the V1 approaching what I hear out of the Tate. I assume that is from the additional circuitry for the volume controls.
As for decoding I did not notice any difference between the V1 and V2. I really like the individual volume controls!
The blue LED's are really pretty but damn they are bright though not much more than the V1 IT'S JUST THAT THERE ARE SO MANY.
So I am going blue by adding blue LED's to the cabinet and playing nothing but Blue colored vinyl thru the V2 for the rest of the month. Once I have exhausted all the colored vinyl then I will switch to albums with Blue in the title, then songs and after that nothing but the blues.

I am really enjoying this and the external case is the improvement this decoder needed and the autographs are a great touch, Thanks Guys!

View attachment 41814

Firstly I really love the compliment of gear that I see, with the SM v2 having a special spot. Congratulations!

Well Mr. Anderson when you have a chance I would so recommend what the SM can do for movies. In fact based on your post I would suggest seeking out (and anyone else reading this) and early masterpiece of Satoshi Kon: Perfect Blue:

I have enjoyed this via the DTS-HD 5.1 but down mix it & the SM blows it away!

So what you been listening to?

Hey Sonik Wiz, thanks for the suggestion about movies, I'll have to give it a try.
As for what I have been playing thru it, mostly stereo vinyl. Having an V1 I have already experienced matrix decoding and comparing it to other decoders. I'm currently going thru all the media I have acquired in my life time and cleaning, sorting and cataloging and I pick up something I have not heard in ages and I have to hear what it will do thru the Surround Master. What a great way to enjoy a new addition to the audio gear pile!

View attachment 41814

Mark, going a little GA-GA over your setup and how clean it is (wiring is pretty well hidden etc.) This is giving me some good ideas for my secondary system. Also looks like you've done the brilliant move of providing space behind the shelves for backside access! The only downside I see for myself would that it is near the floor; as I get older it's harder to get down and up easily. I see your CSM42 unit also, centrally located.

Thanks J. Pupster, the wiring only looks clean because you can't see it. Right now it is a rat's nest. I wind up unhooking everything about once a year to reorganize it after bringing in and out other equipment for lab experiments. That can be an all day task.
I'm with you on getting down but the cabinets were driven by other needs such as TV height, amount of gear. I am behind there far too often and still wish I had more room as I am not as nimble as I once was.
Although a year old and somewhat out of date as some gear and speaker placement has changed, below is a link that gives a little more detail on the setup. Looking back at the photos makes me realize why I took on the task of sorting my collection as it just looked like a mess back then. Unfortunately twice as much was packed away in other rooms and it has taken about a year to get thru and I am almost done.
Mark's Basement Stereo

Back