Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
62099_1_front.jpg

https://www.blu-ray.com/Bohemian-Rhapsody/769637/

coming Nov 02, 2018

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1727824/technical?ref_=ttrel_sa_5

looks like the film in theaters will be Atmos. I wonder if the blu-ray will be also?

I'm sure the UHD 4K version will have a Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

Interesting choice casting Rami Malek as Freddy.

rami-malek-bakal-perankan-freddie-mercury-di-bohemian-rhapsody-VBV.jpg

The original choice was Sasha Baron Cohen as Freddy [?]

Freddie-Mercury-Sacha-Baron-Cohen.jpg

Last edited:
I watched Sicario: Day of the Soldado on BD last night:

Good bits:
1. Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD on my 5.1 set-up) had great fidelity and some decent surround moments (helicopters, gunfire, fluorescent lighting, radio calls).
2. While the first one was a gem and didn't need a sequel (most movies don't as we all know), it was still pretty exciting, continued the story well and was way better than most action movies.
3. Different director, composer and cinematographer to the first one but they all did a great job.

Not so good bits:
4. I noticed 2 typos on the English subtitles. Both were spoken by the same character but I doubt they were retained intentionally due to a mis-spoken line. Hope they fix that in a subsequent release or for the 4K release when I finally upgrade. I can't recall the last time I saw a subtitle typo as it happens so rarely so this is pretty sloppy. Not a major but I've just got a problem with typos. Probably made some in this post which would be typical, wouldn't it?
5. They shoulda kept the title just 'Soldado' but I guess they gotta make it perfectly clear for the general public. Again, not a major. Just being very fussy.

Overall, definitely worth the 2 hours.

Last edited:
This was my pumpkin a while back... Got to wait a week or so before I can get this years. And I've still got to watch Hereditary before Halloween. Shit! I think the surround will be my screams! :eek:

View attachment 36012

Another nice [unassuming] selfie, Smithers. Is that pumpkin filled with Pumpkin Beer [in the spirit of keeping Oktoberfest alive throughout October]. I hate beer but I did have the pleasure of trying Pumpkin Beer and it was Delicious!

PumpkinBeerPumpkin1.jpg

Williamsburg-AleWerks-Pumpkin-Ale.jpg

Another nice [unassuming] selfie, Smithers. Is that pumpkin filled with Pumpkin Beer [in the spirit of keeping Oktoberfest alive throughout October]. I hate beer but I did have the pleasure of trying Pumpkin Beer and it was Delicious!

PumpkinBeerPumpkin1.jpg

Williamsburg-AleWerks-Pumpkin-Ale.jpg

Ha no beer in the pumpkin that I can remember? You'd have to drink quickly before it pours out if you didn't have that stopper! Pumpkin ale sounds interesting! I've never even had pumpkin pie before though! So you're not a beer drinker and hell raiser then Signore Raphael?

They're also showing Halloween at the local cinema. Not sure I'll go though as kinda like the look of the Neil Armstrong film First Man instead. Had good reviews! :alien:

Ha no beer in the pumpkin that I can remember? You'd have to drink quickly before it pours out if you didn't have that stopper! Pumpkin ale sounds interesting! I've never even had pumpkin pie before though! So you're not a beer drinker and hell raiser then Signore Raphael?

They're also showing Halloween at the local cinema. Not sure I'll go though as kinda like the look of the Neil Armstrong film First Man instead. Had good reviews! :alien:

Nay, Master Smithers: I'm a Tokero_O and a Vokda straight up w/twist of lime Martini sort o' guy! Pumpkin Ale is unbelievably delicious. Could easily turn me into a 'souse!'

Halloween or First Man [from the director of the WAY overrated La La Land]? Choose wisely. IMO, I'm sure Ryan Gosling would make for a better astronaut than a song and dance man. Just MY opinion.

pnFOEnr0T1oqdvfvLMRF03gS95l.jpg

Last edited:
Saw First Man today, paid $3.50 extra to see it in Atmos Surround on the super-sized screen.
Well worth it.

The moon launch was spectacular, with the Saturn blastoff in the fronts & subs as the orchestral score welled up in the surrounds.
Great cinema SFX combined with vintage footage for us baby boomers who lived through it and will never forget it.

A GREAT Netflix series in time for Halloween is the 10 part Series The Haunting of Hill House" based on Shirley Jackson's late 60s original starring Julie Harris. Rather than mimic the storyline of the original Robert Wise flick, the authors/directors have refashioned a modern horror story with intense, frightening backstories with fresh current juxtapositions on how living in the house affected the Cain family who fled the house while adolescents.

Of particular note is the brilliant sound design which creeps around the room and well extends beyond one's speakers in enveloping fashion.

A review of this series might be of further interest and I concur with the reviewer wholeheartedly: https://holdmypopcorn.blog/2018/10/...ouse-review-a-netflix-original-horror-series/

img_2010.jpg

A GREAT Netflix series in time for Halloween is the 10 part Series The Haunting of Hill House" based on Shirley Jackson's late 60s original starring Julie Harris.
Of particular note is the brilliant sound design which creeps around the room and well extends beyond one's speakers in enveloping fashion.
Any idea how long they'll leave it up? I won't make it home for a while yet.

Don't know how long the series will be up - but probably a year or two?

The Haunting of Hill House is fantastic - the best series I have seen for a long time. Episode 5 and 6 are something very special. Episode 6 with the very long takes - so impressive!

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/201...of-hill-house-was-almost-a-complete-disaster/

Occasionally the Atmos are spectalular - in episode 6 (again!!) there is a thunder storm - with hail - and the hail hammers the ceiling speakers, just excellent :smokin

Writer/Director - Mike Flanagan, who directed the series, have made more creepy movies - Hush (2016), Gerald's Game (2017), Before I Wake (2016) - all available on Netflix - and they are all great (and creepy)!! Love his directing - shaky cam free.

He is currently filming Doctor Sleep, Stephen King's sequel to The Shining, with Ewan McGregor as adult Danny Torrance.

I am fairly new to the surround sound game and I am wondering if there are any surround movies that have great surround sound. I am looking for movies that contain a lot of rear channel action. Most all of the surround movies I watch only have a few things in the rears. I am not partial to it being music or dialog just great examples of surround movies.
Not many don't! If you look back at old VHS you will se a little "Dolby Surround" logo on the label. Only with a Hi-Fi VCR and sound system could you get the audio track.
Now, all moves are 5.1 take your choice. My advice is look here, the4se guys will tell you the good one's. Some of course better than others.
One of my favs is" Dr Strange." an outstanding use of the format!

I've only sampled it, but it looks and sounds great, though my TV is hardly expensive. The Polish dub is kinda fascinating just because it's not what we'd normally think of as a "dub". Maybe the technique is not unusual and I just haven't encountered it before.

What really jumped out at me was one of the included cards: It's pretty clearly from a scene that was cut post-premiere. Makes me wonder if it was just an on-set still or if that means someone has recently handled/transferred the trims. I've wanted to see those for a long, long time.

I bit the bullet during a sale and did the 4K upgrade with 75" Sony X90F and Sony UBP-X800. Had to build a pine cabinet for it too which was fun.

Anyway, after a couple of weeks of monkeying with the TV settings, I got it looking the way I want it and I watched Christine (1983) on 4K last night (NZers/Australians: I got it for $21.50 delivered from JB-Hifi - arrived just in time for Halloween too).

First of all, the 4K/HDR picture is awesome. Way more detail and graduations from dark to light. Well worth the upgrade.

The 4K has a new Dolby Atmos surround mix (along with what is presumably the old DTS-MA 5.1) and although I just have a 5.1 setup, I selected the Dolby and it sounds incredible. Fidelity is great and there's way more happening in the surrounds than there was on previous releases. There's panning to the rears when Christine moves off-camera, engine revs from the rears when she's behind you and when Arnie and Harry Dean Stanton are yapping in the parking lot, there are people playing tennis behind you. At least, I think it was then. Definitely tennis at some point (unless I was doing a Blow Up David Hemmings).

The rears also add an awesome sense of large space in quiet scenes. At Darnell's when there's not much going on, there must be something coming from the rears (I didn't get up to check with my ear against the speaker) as it sounds like a large, echoey space except without any obvious echoes. I've not heard that before in a movie but it's really effective.

Carpy's synth score sounds great too. Man, what a movie. I got a bunch of other 4Ks on the ways from the UKs too (I'd happily by them in NZ but stocking popular movies seems too hard for NZ retailers) so I'm looking forward to spinning them up.

Just a FYI if anyone is thinking about the 4K upgrade, I was recommended a Panasonic cable with "4K" on the packet but when I got it home, the fine print stated it was 10Gbps but the Sony UBP-X800 manual stated 18Gbps is needed to pipe the entire disc content to your telly so I had to hunt out a computer store to find one. None of the salespeople in 2 stores seemed to know about the 18Gbps requirement. Oh well, it's all plugged in now.

Recent 4K watches if anyone's interested:

Leon/The Professional (1994): Great flick, seen it lots and I watched with my pops cos we both think it's awesome. Surround mix was good with outside street noises and score from the rears. Fidelity was great. Colours and detail all awesome too.

Blade Runner (1982): Again, one of my many favourites and colours/detail/surround mix/fidelity were all awesome. One thing that wasn't awesome was that dialogue in some short scenes was buried (e.g., when Gaff interrupts Deckard's noodle-fest in the beginning, dialogue was way further down than most other scenes and from the previously-released BD). Strange but it's easier to hear with a centre channel boost of 2-3dB. I don't mind a "loud" centre channel for movie watching, so not a major. It is the only adjustment that I've had to make for movie-watching for a long time though. Maybe someone with an Atmos set-up may be able to confirm if it's like that on theirs too (and if mine's not combining height sound to the fronts and drowning out the centre on my 5.1 set-up?).

Either way, both worth the upgrade I reckons.

Both are great movies!

I’ve had my Sony 75” 90F for a couple of months now. Still only watched 4K Foxtel (satellite) although I have a few 4K UHD discs I’ve ripped and yet to watch. Only spare time I have these days is used to listen to music or watch concerts (in surround of course!)

Back