Surround Sound Desert Island Disks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cai Campbell

In Remembrance
Since 2002/2003
Okay, if you were stranded on a desert island, and you had to spend the rest of your life with 10 surround sound titles (any format), what woud they be? My list would probably change daily, but here's where my head is at right now:

(in no particular order)

1. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
2. Queen - A Night At The Opera
3. Metallica - Black Album
4. ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
5. Ten Years After - A Space In Time
6. Temptations - All Directions
7. Grateful Dead - American Beauty
8. Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers
9. Paul McCartney & Wings - Venus & Mars
10. Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson

this is a toughy....

1 jeff beck - blow by blow
2 toy matinee - toy matinee
3 queen - night at the opera
4 fleetwood mac - rumours
5 joni mitchell - court & spark
6 joni mitchell - hissing of summer lawns
7 pink floyd - wish you were here
8 mike oldfield - tubular bells
9 loggins & messina - full sail
10 jethro tull - warchild

Great list! I was starting to think that nobody else was going to participate...

Isn't that Toy Matinee disc great? That one really caught me by surprise. It is really sad about Kevin Gilbert's passing. It would be neat to hear what other great music he could have given us.

you know, I have had the Toy Matinee cd for years and it never really hit me until I got the surround version (after so many people raving about the album). I can't stop playing it. It is a shame about Kevin Gilbert.

The Blow By Blow that I got from Tab is amazing. I couldn't believe that it was from a Q8. That Fostex machine must be amazing!

This took some thought as there are so many good titles, but here it is in no particular order.

Guess Who-Best Of
Moody Blues-Days Of Future Passed
Pink Floyd-Dark Side Of The Moon
Tommy James & The Shondells-Greatest Hits
Chicago-IX
Fleetwood Mac-Rumours
Grass Roots-16 Greatest Hits
Santana-Santana I
Doors-The Best Of
Bach: The Complete Brandenburg Concertos

If I had to pick ten albums and only ten albums to take with me for my pleasure as a castaway on a desert island, whether the albums have been mixed in surround or presently remain pipe dreams, The Wall would be one of those ten, no question about it. Mmm, I just had an idea for a new thread...

DESERT ISLAND DISCS ....... BUT REMEMBER, DEREK ..... HOW WOULD YOU CONCEIVABLY PLAY THESE DISCS ON AN ISLAND WITH NO ELECTRICITY .......A HA !

See the source image

NO Electricity.... NO Water ...... NO Food:ROFLMAO:ahem ....sun~baked fresh fish cooked in coconut oil

Last edited:
If I had to pick ten albums and only ten albums to take with me for my pleasure as a castaway on a desert island, whether the albums have been mixed in surround or presently remain pipe dreams, The Wall would be one of those ten, no question about it. Mmm, I just had an idea for a new thread...
You should start one. I was thinking about starting that same Thread yesterday morning but I was looking for the timing to be right.

You should start one. I was thinking about starting that same Thread yesterday morning but I was looking for the timing to be right.

I almost did but I failed big time when it came to deciding on just ten multichannel albums to take with me on a desert island - I'd need to have at least ten actual releases as well as ten fantasy releases lol

I almost did but I failed big time when it came to deciding on just ten multichannel albums to take with me on a desert island - I'd need to have at least ten actual releases as well as ten fantasy releases lol
I was experiencing the same problem with deciding which ones to take but if I really had to, I could probably do it. I would just pick the 10 I know I could play multiple times and not get sick of hearing. šŸ‘‚

I was experiencing the same problem with deciding which ones to take but if I really had to, I could probably do it. I would just pick the 10 I know I could play multiple times and not get sick of hearing. šŸ‘‚

My problem was different...I just couldn't decide on the island...warm crystal clear waters of the Caribbean...or the blue waters of the Adriatic Sea...and the environment would dictate the songs....Carribbean would involve albums like Bob Marley and Legend...the Adriatic Sea would be ideal for Moondance.....but both island environments would be ideal for Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Live Anthology disc....62 quality songs would help pass the days awayšŸ˜

My problem was different...I just couldn't decide on the island...warm crystal clear waters of the Caribbean...or the blue waters of the Adriatic Sea...and the environment would dictate the songs....Carribbean would involve albums like Bob Marley and Legend...the Adriatic Sea would be ideal for Moondance.....but both island environments would be ideal for Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Live Anthology disc....62 quality songs would help pass the days awayšŸ˜

In my experience, Clinty .... Shipwrecked survivors can't be choosy ....... Actually, you'd be wise to take ALL your unwanted and overflowing RBCDs and do a major dump in an isolated Atoll in the Black Sea ..... near Putin's billion dollar digs!

See the source image

CLINTY in PARADISE? "CONTENT is KING!"

Last edited:
In my experience, Clinty .... Shipwrecked survivors can't be choosy ....... Actually, you'd be wise to take ALL your unwanted and overflowing RBCDs and do a major dump in an isolated Atoll in the Black Sea ..... near Putin's billion dollar digs!

See the source image

CLINTY in PARADISE? "CONTENT is KING!"

Will saltwater affect Shunyata cables?

Will saltwater affect Shunyata cables?

Of course NOT ... they're INSULATED....and will withstand depths of 20,000 Leagues. BTW, Clinty, Music Direct is having a HUGE sale TODAY on ALL Shunyata Research cables ...... SERIOUSLY. Guaranteed to IMPROVE your system by a whopping 20% ........ ANYTHING with a detachable power cord should be replaced with a genuine SR power cord and their modestly priced Venom HDMI cables are SUPERB.:ROFLMAO:THE best AURAL Sex you'll EVER have!

Would I lie or deceive my compadres? ...... NEVER!:eek:it's a sin to tell a lie!

Last edited:
I see that some Posts got moved. :unsure:

Iā€™m glad my titleā€™d Thread I was thinking about starting wasnā€™t going to be Desert Island Discs.

I was going to name it ā€œTop Ten Surround Discsā€. o_O:love:

Now that the title has changed....I just wonder what the lists that Cai Campbell started would be now....he's one of the members I wish was still here today...wish I could have met him...I've spent a lot of time on the old forum reading his posts...

Back