Surround Sound Panel at RMAF 2018 in Denver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
If you're attending the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver on Sunday, you may want to catch this seminar on Surround Sound!

RMAF 2018 Banner.jpg

Going to this week's Rocky Mountain Audio Fest at the Denver Marriott Tech Center (October 5 – 7, 2018)?

NativeDSD Technical Advisor & Associate Editor at Positive Feedback Brian Moura will be joining Kal Rubinson from Stereophile Magazine and moderator Andrew Quint from The Absolute Sound in a lively discussion on Surround Sound. Titled “Multichannel Music: The Promise” on Sunday, October 7th at the show from 10:00 am to 11:00 am.

"Multichannel audio production has the potential to advance the enjoyment of all genres of music when played back through a high-end surround system. So why does multichannel, outside of the context of concert video, remain very much a niche interest among audiophiles? This seminar will explore the benefits of and barriers to the wider adoption of audio-only surround sound."

https://www.facebook.com/NativeDsdMusic/photos/a.765908406800903/1942198965838502/?type=3

I live in Denver and I attended last year, but the entire show is all about 2-channel audio with a heaphone CanJam included. This will be a good seminar. Mark Waldrep from AIX would have been a good guy to join the panel too, as he's a big proponent of surround music. Maybe he'll attend the discussion. He does hate DSD though.

I won't be able to go this year but I'm sure the discussion will be up on Youtube later on, if it's recorded.

I live in Denver and I attended last year, but the entire show is all about 2-channel audio with a heaphone CanJam included.

Not the entire show.

Ray Kimber's IsoMike room on the first floor of the show has continuous demonstrations of his DSD 64 and DSD 256 4-Channel Surround Sound recordings. Played on a cost is no object system (4 Focal Tower speakers, Merging Technologies HAPI converter, etc.) they are playing Jazz, Classical and Test Tracks - including a motorcycle race in Surround Sound (announcer is in the RB speaker) and a full Drum Corps. All with no compression or limiting.

Worth dropping by the Evergreen D room for 4-Channel Surround Sound fans at the show.

If I was still in Utah, that would be cool. It's interesting, I genuinely have no idea who any of us are beyond the forum. Some of us, bmoura, Kal, and steelydave included, are much more than just consumers and fans. Damn cool to know that there are people involved here like that :)(y).

Very cool. I just watched the entire video, and I have to say it's great to see Brian and Kal in the center of keeping the surround spotlight glowing. It's a shame the turnout wasn't better, but that's the deal with surround sound. Very hard to get the word out and keep it in the forefront.

Great points made by both of our notable members. We are blessed to have them both here at QQ from time to time. Best not take them for granted. I know I don't.

Good job Brian and Kal. Cheers! :SG

Very hard to get the word out and keep it in the forefront.
One of the big messages we got (and it ain't new news) was that there are no places for the curious to get a good demonstration that might tip them from curious to committed. That's where we need to find a solution.

Last edited:
One of the big messages we got was (and it ain't new news) was that there are no places for the curious to get a good demonstration that might tip them from curious to committed. That's where we need to find a solution.

There should be a mandate that all taxi's and Uber's have 5.1 audio system installed!

Seriously though, I've demo'd surround to hundred's of folks over the past 40 years, and I can count on one hand (and yes, I still have all of my fingers) the demoees who have actually gone out and gotten a surround system.

Sad but true.

There should be a mandate that all taxi's and Uber's have 5.1 audio system installed!

Seriously though, I've demo'd surround to hundred's of folks over the past 40 years, and I can count on one hand (and yes, I still have all of my fingers) the demoees who have actually gone out and gotten a surround system.

Sad but true.
Not much of a yield but it is a yield. Before I was into multichannel, I doubt if I did as good pimping for stereo.

Regarding the issue of the possibility of multichannel streaming that was raised at the Surround Panel discussion, I am now streaming 5.1 channel recordings at 24/96 and DSD via Qobuz/Roon!

Back