Suspiria (1977) Blu-Ray Quad Mix - Anyone heard it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ogrequad

I just found out that the most recent Blu-Ray of Dario Argento’s Suspiria (put out by Synapse) contains the original 4.0 theatrical mix from the 70s. I’ve also heard that it is very discrete with active panning and use of the rear speakers. Anyone here heard it? Any thoughts or reactions? I’m debating about picking it up just for the quad mix but I don’t want to be disappointed....

This is what it says on the Synapse website:

"Original 4.0 1977 English language LCRS sound mix not heard since the theatrical release in 1977, presented in high-resolution DTS-HD MA 96kHz/24-bit audio, with newly-translated removable English SDH subtitles"

I never got around to seeing this particular title, but over the years had always heard about it's aggressive original 4 channel mix, then a dreaded 5.1 remix on home video that hung around for far too long, then talk of the original finally being rediscovered.

There was an insanely long thread of the late 2017 bluray release, with post #7990 having the first audio review:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=14503264&postcount=7990
A new 4K/bluray also just popped onto the scene, but there was talk of an ATMOS remix, meaning some type of processing or possibly all out remixing went on for that particular version. And post #477 raised some red flags of a combo release which has both the 2018 and 1977 versions.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16338400&postcount=477You might find out additional info that I missed on an admittedly cursory search of this latest release.

Will be curious to hear your review if you pursue one of these versions!

Blu ray.com's STELLAR 5* [across the board] review says it all: [VIDEO: Synapse's new "4K remastered restoration of the original uncut, uncensored Italian 35mm camera negative" presentation (AVC encoded, 2.38:1 aspect ratio)] AUDIO: DTS HD MA 4.0 96/24 {English} DTS HD MA 48/24 5.1 {Italian}

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Suspiria-Blu-ray/197731/#Review
There is also a UHD 4K version of Suspiria available from Amazon Italy: MONO PCM and DTS HD MA 5.1 according to the specs on the 4K steelbook's rear:

71gJTENb1JL._SL1307_.jpg

Suspiria (Blu-Ray 4K UHD)

https://www.amazon.it/Suspiria-Blu-.../ref=tmm_frk_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Last edited:
No way i can go through those huge blu ray threads but I think any blu ray released in the last year or two (US, UK, Australian and Italian) all have a new restored 4k print, even though different companies have released it in different regions.
The 5.1 may / may not be discrete but there is very strong use of the rears on the 5.1, which makes full use of the Goblin soundtrack, which is essential to the impact of the film

Just finished watching the restored blu-ray of "Suspiria" with the "original 4.0 English sound mix". I had never seen this movie before, and I have to say I really enjoyed it... a bit of a "b-movie" feel, but plenty of suspense, gory practical effects, and gorgeous cinematography. The visual images are extremely clear, perfectly restored, and vibrantly colored... this movie has a "primary color" palette and every scene and frame feels purposeful. The images look like they could have been filmed yesterday. As far as the surround mix goes, I tried every audio stream available on my OPPO, and none of them were 4.0. However, the one labeled as "English 4.0" had excellent sound quality (the best of the available streams) and tasteful use of the surrounds... but there was definitely sound coming from the center channel and my subwoofer. This is a winner for fans of vintage horror and stylistic cinema. My only disappointment: a horror movie set in a dance school filled with beautiful 20-somethings and I don't get to see one of them naked?! 😜

Edit: Is it possible my OPPO was outputting a 4.0 stream, but my amp was doing something to turn it into a 5.1? This doesn't happen when I listen to quad audio discs, so I'm not sure why it would happen with a 4.0 DTS-MA disc, but who knows...

Last edited:
Just finished watching the restored blu-ray of "Suspiria" with the "original 4.0 English sound mix". I had never seen this movie before, and I have to say I really enjoyed it... a bit of a "b-movie" feel, but plenty of suspense, gory practical effects, and gorgeous cinematography. The visual images are extremely clear, perfectly restored, and vibrantly colored... this movie has a "primary color" palette and every scene and frame feels purposeful. The images look like they could have been filmed yesterday. As far as the surround mix goes, I tried every audio stream available on my OPPO, and none of them were 4.0. However, the one labeled as "English 4.0" had excellent sound quality (the best of the available streams) and tasteful use of the surrounds... but there was definitely sound coming from the center channel and my subwoofer. This is a winner for fans of vintage horror and stylistic cinema. My only disappointment: a horror movie set in a dance school filled with beautiful 20-somethings and I don't get to see one of them naked?! 😜

Edit: Is it possible my OPPO was outputting a 4.0 stream, but my amp was doing something to turn it into a 5.1? This doesn't happen when I listen to quad audio discs, so I'm not sure why it would happen with a 4.0 DTS-MA disc, but who knows...

Thanks for that glowing review, skherbeck. Yes, the English track is the 96/24 4.0. Glad to hear Synapse Films nailed the 4K remaster. As far as seeing naked girls ......... do I have a 'site' for you!

BTW, the Italian language track was 48/24 5.1. How's your Italian, skherbeck?

Being a fan of spaghetti westerns, i thought i’d try a few Giallo italian crime movies. The first one i tried was dario argento’s ‘the bird with the crystal plumage’ blu ray which i loved so i looked for other dario argento movies. Suspiria was next, although not a crime movie, is also brilliant so i just ordered 4 other argento blu rays in Arrows 2 for 1 sale

Being a fan of spaghetti westerns, i thought i’d try a few Giallo italian crime movies. The first one i tried was dario argento’s ‘the bird with the crystal plumage’ blu ray which i loved so i looked for other dario argento movies. Suspiria was next, although not a crime movie, is also brilliant so i just ordered 4 other argento blu rays in Arrows 2 for 1 sale

Argento has that effect on people. His style is so striking that, after watching one of his films, you want to dive into them all. They are not all winners like “Bird...” and “Suspiria”, but they all have their moments. My favorites after the ones mentioned above are “Deep Red” and “Inferno”, which is the sort of sequel to “Suspiria”. “Tenebre” and “Phenomena” are pretty great as well.

Argento has that effect on people. His style is so striking that, after watching one of his films, you want to dive into them all. They are not all winners like “Bird...” and “Suspiria”, but they all have their moments. My favorites after the ones mentioned above are “Deep Red” and “Inferno”, which is the sort of sequel to “Suspiria”. “Tenebre” and “Phenomena” are pretty great as well.

Agreed, gorgeous visuals / cinematography. Deep red, inferno, tenebrae and phenomena were the ones i also picked up from arrow - region b locked i think
https://arrowfilms.com/search/?pi=1&q=Dario argento

However, the one labeled as "English 4.0" had excellent sound quality (the best of the available streams) and tasteful use of the surrounds... but there was definitely sound coming from the center channel and my subwoofer.

You're hearing what was intended. It gets confusing because when we talk about 4.0/4-channel/quadraphonic music we're talking about the four corners. But what they called "4-track magnetic stereo" back in 1977 meant Left, Center, Right and mono Surround 99%+ of the time. There were occasional exceptions, but they were very much exceptions.

4-track was for 35mm, 6-track for 70mm. Until 1978 or so, the 70mm version assumed a large screen, so five of the channels were behind the screen with, again, mono surround.

Just finished watching the restored blu-ray of "Suspiria" with the "original 4.0 English sound mix".

I got the 4k UHD of this a week or so back and have now watched it four times already. Twice just as a movie and once again for each of the two commentary tracks. It's utterly gorgeous and the 4.0 track is absolutely stunning.

I even gave in and bought an OLED TV over the weekend, probably in part because of it. I swore I'd never buy another set until 3D came back, but the price was too good and the set I replaced just sucked so horrifically that I couldn't put up with it any more.

Back