Synthesized Coltrane 'Concert in Japan' Quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don,t know with what Decoder you were using
But I have played them with QDS1 and Surround Master
Plus the same speakers front and back
And found them full surround but a soft surround
Not to many solo,s in the rear
If you played them in a basic QS decoder the surround may be less.

QDS1 ? Well no but I did utilize something similar . Sansui QSD2 .

And no I'm sorry , but I never found 'em too glory surround showcase for QS. . Nothing at all like the "Dan's" nor Joe Walsh 's TSYD , TPYG.

Perhaps ABC/IMPULSE/DUNHILL quad discs were somehow Encoded with a Bad Encoder (sometimes) . Could xplain the inconsistency with some of their QS matrix product.
Project 3 and Ovation never seemed to encounter bad encodes from my observations.

After 'dual inventory' was phased out (by late 1968, for the most part), it pretty much made it tough for most labels to issue mono-only titles and leave it at that; instead, we got rechanneled albums, no mono counterparts, the latter obviously preferable to tape doctoring, but the anti-mono fix was in for Lp's (not 45's, however). Hard to say what the Impulse gang might have done to the Trane album back in, say, 1967, other than to issue a flat mono transfer AND a fake stereo edition. By the '70s it was uncommon for any label to issue a mono-only album and state that it was (some of Columbia's vintage reissues being an exception) and, as noted, since Impulse was stereo/quad compatible fixated at the time, I suppose someone felt the need to do something QS to it. But they--and we listeners--would have been better served to simply issue it in mono and state as much on the cover. Today, with the technology available, maybe some kind of contrived stereo could have worked--for stereo, still probably not much to be had for four speakers.

ED :)

Thanks for your invaluable and concise update. I managed to find a 1 RBCD disc of Coltrane's Live in Seattle on Amazon [remastered on a single CD in 2012] and should be receiving it soon. It was originally recorded in 1965 so I imagine the QS encode was probably likewise synthesized from two channel stereo. I believe this was also the first time that saxophonist Pharaoh Sanders joined Coltrane's group for this live outing and have always been a fan of Sander's music, as well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VR95QW/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Post #51 top of page 3

This is Larry's additional info regarding Ed Michel's QS encoded--ADDITIONS . Great sleuthing by Larry fr 2003 !!!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?1799-QS-albums/page3

Back