HiRez Poll Talking Heads - REMAIN IN LIGHT [DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A DualDisc of Talking Heads - REMAIN IN LIGHT

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Speaking of which, is SW's mix of the debut a must?
It's a wonderful mix and I love the eccenticity of it.
If you're not familiar with the album you might want to check out on YouTube first.
I will admit its probably not everyone's cup of tea.
I you listened to the debut & Avalon back to back you might think they were different bands.

I've just found this cheap as a CD+DVD-Audio release. I am assuming the dualdisc and the CD+DVD-Audio are the same in terms of 5.1 surround mix and hi-res stereo?
I'll vote here if you can confirm these two releases share the same mix and mastering. I was thrilled to find it on the shelves earlier today for a few bucks... didn't expect to find this around stores after 13 years!

I've just found this cheap as a CD+DVD-Audio release. I am assuming the dualdisc and the CD+DVD-Audio are the same in terms of 5.1 surround mix and hi-res stereo?
I'll vote here if you can confirm these two releases share the same mix and mastering. I was thrilled to find it on the shelves earlier today for a few bucks... didn't expect to find this around stores after 13 years!
The same.

Wow, what a great mix! This album was made for surround, there are no weak tracks from beginning to end.
To me, the surround highlights are Listening Wind (the best), The Overload, Born Under Punches, Houses in Motion (in this order).
The mastering is a bit loud and harsh, it could have been better. I can tolerate the compression on the stereo remaster, but from a surround remix I am expecting loudness not to be an issue... this was mastered for a mainstream audience. It's a 9 because of that, otherwise it would have been a clear 10. Go and get it! :LB

Talking Heads at their Eno infused best. Reminds me of "My life in the bush of ghosts"
Now that would be a real trip in surround !!!!
Increasing my vote to 9.
Excellent dynamic range and fidelity.
You can Crank it up as loud as your system & ears can bear.
The mid bass/bass on this is truly outstanding.
The Great curve - Classic Adrian Belew guitar licks.
Seen and not Seen - From the Byrne/Eno collaboration "My life in the Bush of Ghosts"
The Ultra Spacey "Listening Wind" & "The Overload"
The Perfect end to a very well done album & mix.

realized I hadn't voted so had to give it my Highest mark ever, a 10.

I'm not sure I ever handed out a 10 because anything missing would bring it to a 9 but I'm listening now and I can not find one thing missing.

Its' got content. Its' got surround. Its' got Fidelity. It's got production. It's got everything.

Is this the same mix as was included in "The Brick"? I have that, but if there is a new 5.1 I will have to track this down. Talking Heads were such an incredible band, and Remain in Light is such a wonderfully unique collection of music. My only editorial comment would be that the mixes (especially side 2) of the original are so drenched in vibe that I don't know if those will ever be recaptured, no matter how good the 5.1 is. So good! Even if you have the 5.1, you should make sure to go out and find an old vinyl copy, just for the sake of being able to zone out on side 2.

Is this the same mix as was included in "The Brick"? I have that, but if there is a new 5.1 I will have to track this down. Talking Heads were such an incredible band, and Remain in Light is such a wonderfully unique collection of music. My only editorial comment would be that the mixes (especially side 2) of the original are so drenched in vibe that I don't know if those will ever be recaptured, no matter how good the 5.1 is. So good! Even if you have the 5.1, you should make sure to go out and find an old vinyl copy, just for the sake of being able to zone out on side 2.
The DualDisc with the 5.1 mix is the same as contained in "The Brick".

If you haven't heard the 5.1 downmix by Robin Sharoma then you're in for a treat. He used an old minidisc player to capture the downmix in realtime and the results are magnificent. Click here to visit his webpage, and the section on 'acquiring' is where you'll find a link to download a copy for yourself; he downmixed just about everything (possibly everything) that TH released in 5.1 so you can download downmixes of all the studio albums and much more besides.

If you haven't heard the 5.1 downmix by Robin Sharoma then you're in for a treat. He used an old minidisc player to capture the downmix in realtime and the results are magnificent. Click here to visit his webpage, and the section on 'acquiring' is where you'll find a link to download a copy for yourself; he downmixed just about everything (possibly everything) that TH released in 5.1 so you can download downmixes of all the studio albums and much more besides.

Windhoek,

Thanks for the heads up on these downmixes. I should take a listen to them at some point, although I expect I am so attached to the original I won't accept anything else in stereo, even if it's a better mix.

A solid 9. My couple of qualms:

1) As another review mentioned way earlier in this thread, David Byrne’s lead vocals weren’t particularly well-recorded to begin with, but even so, I find them not present enough in the mix. I don’t know how much audio quality repair work could have been done to the vocals, but I at least wish they’d gone with the strong centered approach a la Steven Wilson.

2) I’ve never heard this mentioned in any other review anywhere, but the 5.1 mix of The Great Curve is at a higher pitch than the standard stereo version, and it drives me nuts (as someone with the blessing and the curse of perfect pitch). The 5.1 mix is almost a quarter-tone sharp compared to the stereo. If you have perfect or relative pitch, play the stereo and the 5.1 back to back, and you’ll see what I mean.

Despite those qualms, the mix is engaging, the album is iconic, and the fact that the CD/DVD edition is still available at a normal price (especially compared to the other Talking Heads 5.1 editions) is honestly a marvel.

A solid 9. My couple of qualms:

1) As another review mentioned way earlier in this thread, David Byrne’s lead vocals weren’t particularly well-recorded to begin with, but even so, I find them not present enough in the mix. I don’t know how much audio quality repair work could have been done to the vocals, but I at least wish they’d gone with the strong centered approach a la Steven Wilson.

2) I’ve never heard this mentioned in any other review anywhere, but the 5.1 mix of The Great Curve is at a higher pitch than the standard stereo version, and it drives me nuts (as someone with the blessing and the curse of perfect pitch). The 5.1 mix is almost a quarter-tone sharp compared to the stereo. If you have perfect or relative pitch, play the stereo and the 5.1 back to back, and you’ll see what I mean.

Despite those qualms, the mix is engaging, the album is iconic, and the fact that the CD/DVD edition is still available at a normal price (especially compared to the other Talking Heads 5.1 editions) is honestly a marvel.
Monkish,

This is a very interesting observtion about "Curve". Maybe they slowed down the tape on the original mix ? I would be interesting to see which version has correct pitch.

Monkish,

This is a very interesting observtion about "Curve". Maybe they slowed down the tape on the original mix ? I would be interesting to see which version has correct pitch.

It’s so weird. The Talking Heads performed the song live in E minor. The original album version is in F minor, a half step higher (FWIW, David Byrne now does the song live in this key). The stereo version on the DVD is the same F minor version.

The 5.1 version edges even higher, almost to F-sharp minor. I wonder if this was a mastering error of some sort? I can’t imagine it was an intentional move — if so, it’s a really disconcerting one. I fully realize I may be the only one that this bothers. :LOL:

I can’t imagine it was an intentional move — if so, it’s a really disconcerting one. I fully realize I may be the only one that this bothers. :LOL:

I haven't checked this specific example, but if that bothers you watching a music based movie in PAL must send you up the twist. I know it does me. They just speed the 24fps movie to 25fps with a resultant rise in pitch of about 4%. Drives me batty.

I increase the center channel 2DB.

Back