HiRez Poll Tears for Fears - SONGS FROM THE BIG CHAIR [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Tears for Fears - SONGS FROM THE BIG CHAIR

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this November 2014 HiRez 5.1 release by Tears for Fears - SONGS FROM THE BIG CHAIR, remixed for 5.1 by Steven Wilson. Available as a DVD-Audio disc included in the Deluxe Box Set, or as a stand alone BluRay Audio release.
(n):phones(y)

{---}

Box Set Scans:
R-6278001-1416042847-2181.jpeg.jpg

R-6278001-1416042849-1488.jpeg.jpg

R-6278001-1415452908-2948.jpeg.jpg

R-6278001-1416042872-2526.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
10/10

This album is very dear to me as it formed part of the soundtrack to a formative couple of years in my life, along with a few others. But not only was it ever present in my ears 30 years ago, the lyrical sentiment was incredibly poignant and stuck a chord with me. So, when I saw the announcement for this title, and the inclusion of a new Steven Wilson 5.1 mix, I was somewhat excited.

I will come to the 5.1 mix in a moment, but I feel I have to mention all the other stuff in this box, as there is a lot here! Spread across six discs (4x CD's, 1x DVD-A/V and 1x DVD-V), this is pretty much as close to a definitive collection of all output from the SFTBC era. Disc 1 is much like the first disc of the previous 2 disc deluxe edition released a few years back, albeit that some of the tracks have been re-ordered. Disc 2 contains all of the single releases that would have been found on 7" vinyl, plus an audio interview with Roland & Curt.

Disc 3 is the 12" remix disc, gathering together the extended versions and remixes of all the singles. Disc 4 assembles mostly live output including 3 BBC radio session tracks and 6 concert recordings, rounded off with 5 early mixes of the singles.

Disc 6 contains the previously available "Scenes From The Big Chair" along with the Chris Hughes interview that was also on that DVD. This is completed by all the promo videos and a handful of BBC TV appearances.

All of these discs are presented in stiff card gatefold sleeves with various images of the era. Very nicely done. The content is, as I said, pretty exhaustive and is compartmentalised in a logical fashion. There are also two booklets, as there were with The Hurting box set, one of which is a tour programme replica, the other a superb collection of liner notes, interviews and credits.

And so to Disc 5!

Normally, I'd have been nervous about the quality of the mix of such a deeply personal album, but as soon as Mr Wilson's name was attached, all those nerves disappeared. And, after numerous listens, justifiably so. The DVD-A is presented in a simple yet completely effective manner, with simple menus that resemble recent HFPA Blu Ray releases. I'm guessing there's no point reinventing the wheel ;) There are multiple choices of audio across the two mixes and these depend on whether you're accessing the DVD-A Layer or the DVD-V Layer. They are as follows:

DVD-A

2014 Mix

MLP 5.1 96/24
DTS 5.1 96/24 (1536kbps)
MLP 2.0 96/24

1985 Mix

MLP 2.0 96/24

DVD-V

2014 Mix

DTS 5.1 96/24 (1536kbps)
Dolby Digital 48/24 (448kbps)
PCM 2.0 96/24

1985 Mix

PCM 2.0 96/24

So, all bases covered and the MLP quality is impeccable.

As for the mix, well all I can say is that it is a revelation! I have listened to this album more than any other in my collection, probably, and I thought I knew it inside out. However, the obvious clarity and channel separation that the 5.1 format provides really allows everything to breathe and occupy a wider soundstage than before. Steven's judicious use of the extra channels allows for breathtaking detail to be exposed but retains the fullness of the original production. Roland's vocal (and Curt's where applicable) reside in the centre without being too heavily focused there, and the various synths, drums and guitars are wisely placed in each of the songs. In Orzabal's homage to Robert Wyatt, the delicate yet quirky "I Believe", the detail is stunning, especially when the bass kicks in on the second verse. In the opener, "Shout", the Fairlight supplied SARARR patch (the breathy tone that permeates most parts of the track) is revealed to be far more intricate than I had ever imagined. "Everybody Wants To Rule The World", a song that suffered from horrendous overkill back in the day, now sounds triumphant and epic in a way I had never really known. And "The Working Hour", a song that could well have been the title track of the album if Curt had gotten his way, and which is, for many, the standout epic on this long player, does not disappoint in any way, shape or form. The detailed recording of Will Gregory's sax, and the sonic detail of the keys "clacking" is presented in pristine detail and the placement of all parts of this song is, quite simply, perfect. "Mother's Talk" actually feels quite different in as much as it was a real sonic collage that got unintentionally muddied in the original mix but now delivers such deep variety in its construction that it almost feels new!

But, if I had any anxiety about this release, it was around the classic "Broken/Head Over Heels/Broken (Live)" section. It had been revealed that the original multis for both versions of "Broken" had gone missing and that a 5.1 up-mix had been performed, using the Penteo software, to complete a full 5.1 mix of the album. This is, along with "The Working Hour" the highlight of the album for me and I was desperately concerned that it wouldn't work out well. But, whilst my ear can hear that it isn't *quite* the same in terms of channel separation as the rest of the album, it has been done so well that if you didn't know the history, you probably wouldn't question it. Suffice to say, my worries and fears have been allayed and the whole section works brilliantly.

And one has to commend both Steven and the band for sanctioning this as well as being honest and upfront about it, as many would've possibly given up on the whole project if parts were missing or had to be "fudged" in some way. But, in the hands of the master of this art, it has all worked out well.

Finally, some words around the words. Paul Sinclair has done a sterling job on the booklet, containing the interviews, track by track history and credits. And of course we must mention Neil Wilkes for his impeccable work on the authoring of a disc that works seamlessly and effortlessly, delivering all the content in a simple, yet effective, way.

So, it gets a 10/10 for the 5.1 mix and a 10/10 for the overall package.

I've yet to decide on whether I get the Blu Ray. All the content is replicated on the DVD-A and the resolution of the visuals would be the only (minor) difference. I have also been considering the two vinyl releases, one of the '85 mix and the other of the '14 mix, but, as much as I love vinyl and this album, and as much as I love to collect stuff, I think my money could be spent better elsewhere (such as "The Endless River" Blu Ray) and so will probably give them a swerve. I do think that a trick was missed in as much as they could've put ALL the audio from the box onto the Blu Ray quite easily, I'm sure, and heck, even the video content too, but I am very happy that Paul Sinclair pushed for the DVD-A in the box, if only to encourage adoption of 5.1 as a concept. A Blu Ray in the box would've been nicer, but I'm not complaining at all.

Box sets come in various shapes and sizes and this is a proper little powerhouse of a release, and at an excellent price point too. This is how to do it. A benchmark release :)

I will post a longer, more detailed review when I get a chance, but for now...
Seeing as how "War Child" is the only other Steven Wilson remix being released this year, I'm fairly confident this release (along with "The Yes Album" and "Drums & Wires") make up my top 3 surround remixes of his from this year!
If you don't want to spend money on the big box, go out and get the Blu-Ray instead. Just find some way to listen to this mix! :)

If you have a real good surround system, with full range rears and center, get a non-surround-believer into the listening area, anywhere, not even the sweet spot, turn the lights down so there are no distractions, then play "I Believe" at a greater volume than you normally listen. Just walk around the listening area while it's playing. Close your eyes if you like. Then ask them what they think of surround music.

IT'S A TEN. Hands down. No argument. Probably the most remarkable SW mix yet, and those Yes and XTC discs are nothing to sneeze at.

A big big 10.
If you have a good mix to start from it is easier to get a perfect surround mix.
I love it. Everything is at the highest possible quality you can get.
The mix, the songs (a real classic album), the content of the deluxe set (at a great price!).

This is my new NR.1 5.1 mix!

Together with XTC's Drums & Wires the highlight of this year!

Now for the big review:

I love how the surround mix begins pretty simply with "Shout", a little bit of percussion before the mix slowly begins to build at the first verse with the entrance of the synths. Then once the drums come thundering in, the backing vocals also expand to the surrounds, and man is it effective! This might be a new demo track for me when showing 5.1 surround off to guests!
Then on to "The Working Hour", which has always been my favorite track on the album. It starts off with lovely atmospherics in the surrounds with the main keyboard and sax parts remaining anchored in the fronts. The real big impact like "Shout" occurs when the tom rolls enter, as the drums just sound so huge and effective being spread out like that! This is a mix where Steven actually gets loud drums in the surrounds correct, whereas on other mixes ("Drums & Wires" and "The Power and the Glory" in particular), at times it is just too much. This is a mix I could play over and over again, and this has become my new go-to mix of the song over the stereo.
On "Everybody Wants to Rule the World", the synths in the surrounds sound great with the vocal anchored in the center. I'm missing a little bit of detail on that lead synth part though around 2:18 in, but other than that, it's hard to find fault with this mix.
"Mothers Talk" delivers some more big drum sounds, but this time, we also get those driving bass synth rhythms in the surrounds. I also love the mixing of the brass hits going from the front to back. The ending instrumental section of this track is particularly playful.
Before hearing this mix, I always felt unsure about how they would make "I Believe" work in surround seeing as how it is so sparse in arrangement, but there's a few special things about Steven' surround mix of this track. The solo sax and percussion work really well in the surrounds, but then once Verse 2 begins, there's a synth pad that enters and takes up the surround space too, adding to the depth.
"Broken" is an up mix, so there's not too much to say about this track except that the surround still works pretty well, but you can tell there's definitely some clarity missing.
Thankfully, "Head Over Heels" is not an upmix. Like a few of the opening tracks, this one also has a powerful mix of drums all around you. You can also hear Curt's fantastic bass lines more clearly as well, and I'm also loving the synth string plucks enveloping you. Steven's mix of the vocals in the chorus though is off, as they sound a lot more out of tune to me than they did before. Maybe a little more careful balancing of the vocal doubles would have prevented this. Also like other tracks in the beginning of the album, the mix keeps building with more and more elements jumping into the surrounds. You can also hear the vocal interplay in the second verse more clearly too. The backing vocals on the ending vamp also provide a wonderful enveloping experience.
And finally, "Listen". To me this is one of the tracks that always had the most potential for surround on the album, and it doesn't disappoint with layers and layers of synths all around you. Some of the percussion hits all around also sound great as does the high soprano vocal at the end.

After all that, what else can I say besides the fact that overall this mix is a clear winner, right up there with "The Yes Album" and "Drums & Wires". Get it as soon as you can, and if you don't want to spend a lot of money on the box, go for the Blu-Ray. Either way, just get it, then sit back and "listen"! :)

To my surprise my boxset with the prized DVDA came in the mail yesterday and we are having a bit of a cold spell for us so perfect excuse to go down to my movie/listening room and cozy up in my lazyboy and listen to this 5.1
WOW,WOW and another WOW, during and after listening to this. Have heard these songs so much over past 30 years but never like this. The difference in hearing this lossless 5.1 and previous stereo version's is mind blowing, in fact after one play through this album I just had to sit in my chair for a few minutes just smiling as that was a such a enjoyable 40 minute listen. My listening room is in the basement and I asked my wife and youngest daughter as they were in different parts of the house, what did you think of that one and they both said it sounded fantastic and that was even up to the third floor in our house where my wife was in our bedroom, guess I listen pretty loud(age factor) but also speaks volumes to how good the lossless recording of this is.
This one gets a 10 for sure, and thats a BIG 10. TFF went from a first album that had a pretty minimum sound palette to the much bigger sound of SFTBC and I would say same for the stereo to 5.1, that its such a bigger and fuller sound in 5.1, this is how this album needs to be heard. Now more fun listening times ahead as this has now bumped XTC's DAW's from my car deck, think SFTBC will be in the car for a while.
Not a surround comment but am enjoying background information and details that are provided in the booklet put together by Paul Sinclair in the boxset, job well done.
Another winner from Steven Wilson and good job by Neil Wilkes on authoring this as well.

peter

Steven's mix of the vocals in the chorus though is off, as they sound a lot more out of tune to me than they did before. Maybe a little more careful balancing of the vocal doubles would have prevented this.
Thanks for your review, rtbluray - nice reading!

One question though referring to your writing above. You are not happy with the chorus vocals being out of tune - are you suggesting to lower this in the mix or to use some kind of autotune to get it more right?

Thanks for your review, rtbluray - nice reading!

One question though referring to your writing above. You are not happy with the chorus vocals being out of tune - are you suggesting to lower this in the mix or to use some kind of autotune to get it more right?

Lower at least one of them. If you go back and listen to the original mix of that song, you can hear that the vocals are doubled but it's a lot more subtle. One vocal takes precedence over the other, and that helps to eliminate tuning issues because there is less of a clash between the two of them. I discovered the same issue with the vocals on Steven's remixes of "To Be Over" (on Relayer). The vocal blend was not as precise as the original and therefore more vocals stuck out to me in a not so pleasant way.
Hope that all makes sense!

Yes, a 10 from me as well. Great music (but then we already knew that), great mix and great sound. It's a pity that "Broken" isn't what it could be, but that's hardly Steven Wilson's fault. And even though I went for the Deluxe Box here, I think it's great that there's the option of a stand-alone Blu-ray for the surround mix. Let's hope for more of these in the future.

Just got in my HFPA Blu-Ray of this title, and I am now ready to declare that this without a doubt the BEST HFPA release of the entire year!
Better than Marley, Quadrophenia, and I also feel it will be better than "Reckless".
Find a way to get this disc on the HFPA format, especially if you don't want to pay all of that money for the DVDA in the box, cause it's worth every single cent you could spend on the disc! :)

Just got in my HFPA Blu-Ray of this title, and I am now ready to declare that this without a doubt the BEST HFPA release of the entire year!
Better than Marley, Quadrophenia, and I also feel it will be better than "Reckless".
Find a way to get this disc on the HFPA format, especially if you don't want to pay all of that money for the DVDA in the box, cause it's worth every single cent you could spend on the disc! :)

In my book, Marley's Legend is clearly superiour to this one.

Then again, it is very hard to be neutral and unbiased when it comes to detect what has been done here from the original recording to the new 5.1-mix. The fact that I prefer Marley here is most probably based on that I prefer vintage 70' recordings to bombastic 80's recordings.

Both 5.1-mixes are very good executed anyway.

Vocals are fine here as well. Re-check everything related to center. Listen to a center heavy disc you're familiar with and see if it plays back as you recall.

From QQ deep space

Maybe your center channel is set to some sort of phantom, spreading it out to the fronts? So discs with vocals in the center get lost? Just something to check. Ok, back to the topic at hand....this is a great release, I grew up with the 80's music and there's not much out there as far as classic 80's music in surround. I haven't rated yet until I give it more of a listen, but what I have heard is a 10. Is it perfect? No, but it's pretty damn good.

9/10 overall and across the board for me.

Overall, very pleased with this one. Overall, I was not a huge fan of this band and this was one of only 2 CDs of theirs that I ever owned (although if SW did a mix of any of the others, I would be all over it on general principle). There are a few cuts that I don't find all that interesting (not bad at all, just not all that engaging for me). Three huge hits on this one, and albums like that are pretty rare. It will certainly get a lot of quality "stream-time" here.

I think the surround mix is much clearer and more articulate than the original, while still managing that huge, reverb/delay-heavy TFF sound. Vocals have the usual Steven Wilson center channel focus, which is great. There IS a lot going on in the surrounds, which mostly works but in a very few cases it feels to me to be a little too heavily weighted to the surrounds. In most cases, however, the surrounds are used in clever and non-distracting ways.

Wow! What an immense mix this is! I wasn't a fan back in the day, but am very pleased I bought it (HFPA format) based on the coverage here. Won't rate until after several listens but it's going to be a high rating! :)

Back