Dual Disc The 5 Browns - DualDisc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
The 5 Browns are 3 sisters and 2 brothers all playing classical pieces on Steinway pianos. Some tracks have all 5 playing at once with other tracks featuring solo or duets by each Brown.

This DualDisc has a 5.1 Dolby surround mix as well as a PCM stereo (48/16) track. I am a bit confused by the packaging because it says on the back that it was recorded in 24/88.2 technology. Why the PCM couldnt be at 24bits I don't understand. And no DVD-A is included. It is on the RCA Red Seal label so I wonder if now that BMG and Sony have merged if there will be no more DVD-A.

How does it sound? Well... not bad. It sounds like they are in a fairly large room as there is a fair amount of ambience. I would have liked a bit more split between each piano to tell one apart from the other. The playing is good to my ears and they all play well together. Perhaps on further listens I will be able to tell more about each ones individual style. For now, it's a nice sounding disc that can be played in the background.

Also included are 2 videos (48/16 PCM only) and an interview with all 5 Browns.

Bob Romano said:
This DualDisc has a 5.1 Dolby surround mix as well as a PCM stereo (48/16) track. I am a bit confused by the packaging because it says on the back that it was recorded in 24/88.2 technology.
This is what faked me out into buying it. Excellent album, however.

Five people playing pianos. 5.1 sound. Perhaps...maybe...position the pianos around the listener? No. Let's put all the pianos in the fronts and either record room ambiance or create artificial ambiance and put it in the rears. Sigh. Oh well, I only paid $4.00 for this used. And the piano playing is excellent.

J. D.

Back