The Band “self-titled” album 50th anniversary edition is out in November! (Bob Clearmountain 5.1 Mix!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, very end of the article: "...The Band is currently in the process of repackaging its 1969 self-titled album into a 50th anniversary collector's edition release." I guess that's the two surviving members, Robbie Robertson and Garth Hudson. Sure would be wonderful to get a hi-res surround of that one.

I know it's "Abbey Road" today, but I have just uncovered a pre-order link for The Band's self-titled 1969 album.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Y9D3XLW/
81fOX6kV3NL._SL1500_.jpg

No specific mention of a 5.1 mix, but let's put three and three together:
-There is definitely a Blu-Ray included.
-New stereo mix from Bob Clearmountain (who also mixes everything he is involved with in 5.1 too)
-Follows the exact same configuration as "Music From Big Pink" (which had a new Bob Clearmountain 5.1 mix)

So safe to say, I think we are in good hands. Can't wait!

:)

I know it's "Abbey Road" today, but I have just uncovered a pre-order link for The Band's self-titled 1969 album.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Y9D3XLW/
81fOX6kV3NL._SL1500_.jpg

No specific mention of a 5.1 mix, but let's put three and three together:
-There is definitely a Blu-Ray included.
-New stereo mix from Bob Clearmountain (who also mixes everything he is involved with in 5.1 too)
-Follows the exact same configuration as "Music From Big Pink" (which had a new Bob Clearmountain 5.1 mix)

So safe to say, I think we are in good hands. Can't wait!

A drunkard’s dream.. if I ever did see one!

5.1 mix officially confirmed!
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...h-anniversary-edition-releases-300926865.html
The Band's Self-Titled Masterpiece Celebrated With Remixed And Expanded 50th Anniversary Edition Releases
PIONEERING, INFLUENTIAL 1969 ALBUM REMIXED IN STEREO AND 5.1 SURROUND FOR MULTI-FORMAT SUPER DELUXE BOXED SET -- 2CD; DIGITAL; 180G 2LP BLACK VINYL; AND LIMITED-EDITION 180G 2LP "TIGER'S EYE" VINYL FORMATS ALSO AVAILABLE
AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 15 VIA CAPITOL/UMe

On November 15, Capitol/UMe will celebrate The Band's pioneering self-titled album with a suite of newly remixed and expanded 50th Anniversary Edition packages, including a Super Deluxe CD/Blu-ray/2LP/7-inch vinyl boxed set with a hardbound book; 2CD, digital, 180-gram 2LP black vinyl, and limited edition 180-gram 2LP "tiger's eye" color vinyl packages. All the Anniversary Edition releases were overseen by Robertson and feature a new stereo mix by Bob Clearmountain from the original multi-track masters, similar to the acclaimed 50th anniversary collections of last year's Music From Big Pink releases. The 50th Anniversary Edition's CD, digital, and box set configurations also include 13 outtakes, featuring six previously unreleased outtakes and alternate recordings from The Band sessions, as well as The Band's legendary Woodstock performance, which has never been officially released.
Exclusively for the box set, Clearmountain has also created a new 5.1 surround mix for the album and bonus tracks, presented on Blu-ray with the new stereo, both in high resolution audio (96kHz/24bit). All the new audio mixes have been mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering. The box set also includes an exclusive reproduction of The Band's 1969 7-inch vinyl single for "Rag Mama Rag" / "The Unfaithful Servant" in their new stereo mixes and a hardbound book with an extensive, illuminating new essay by author and music critic Anthony DeCurtis and classic photos by Elliott Landy which have had an inimitable influence on rock and roll. For the album's new vinyl editions, Chris Bellman cut the vinyl lacquers for the album's new stereo mix at 45 rpm at Bernie Grundman Mastering, expanding the album's vinyl footprint from one LP to two.
Clearmountain and Robertson's approach to remixing the beloved album was done with the utmost care and respect for the music and what The Band represents. "The idea was to take you deeper inside the music, but this album is homemade," Robertson says in the liner notes. "You can't touch up a painting. It has nothing to do with what you get when you go into a recording studio." When he expressed his concerns to Clearmountain, the renowned engineer and producer reassured him: "We're just trying to overcome the original technological limitations in order to bring you closer into the room," he explained. "I'm going to do everything in my power not to get in the way of this music at all." The result is a new mix that allows listeners to hear these classic songs in stunning, and often times startling, clarity, packing more of a sonic and emotional punch than ever before. The included early and alternate versions offer fans the ability to hear the evolution of these tracks or as Robertson says, "That's us trying to teach ourselves how to play these songs."

Blu-ray (Stereo and 5.1 Surround – High Resolution Audio: 96 kHz/24 bit)
1. Across The Great Divide
2. Rag Mama Rag
3. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
4. When You Awake
5. Up On Cripple Creek
6. Whispering Pines
7. Jemima Surrender
8. Rockin' Chair
9. Look Out Cleveland
10. Jawbone
11. The Unfaithful Servant
12. King Harvest (Has Surely Come)
Bonus Tracks:
13. Up On Cripple Creek (Earlier Version)
14. Rag Mama Rag (Alternate Version)
15. The Unfaithful Servant Alternate Version)
16. Look Out Cleveland (Instrumental Mix)
17. Rockin' Chair (A Cappella / Stripped Down)
18. Up On Cripple Creek (Instrumental Mix)

"Classic Albums – The Band" (Documentary)

More Vinyl???

Vinyl makes nice Christmas gifts for any young hipsters on your list. ;)

Listened to the one-minute sample of Rag Mama Rag out-take on iTunes, sounds pristine.
I remember when this was released, it was noted in the music press this was the rare rock album recorded dead "flat" (no eq).

Pre-ordered from Amazon UK for $95 shipped with lowest price guarantee.

They keep banging us over the head with "deluxe boxes" to get the 5.1 mix, and I generally fold like a deck of cards and capitulate with a credit card, ready to go.

And to think 'in the old days' I used to pass up quad reels because they were $11-$12. I guess that's what time and age do to you.

PS - Wasn't the original LP on a Capitol rainbow label, or was it a green deal as shown about right out of the gate? I don't remember.

What...!!!!
I've been so hyped over Abbey Road, that I've just found this thread.
I just LOVE this record,

Had this from it's release...never knew anything about them, I only bought it as I liked and bought the single Rag Mama Rag.
Used to do that in the old days
Hear one track and on that basis buy the album.
Usually worked out okay too..

Man this year!!
All my dreams are coming true.

Back