The Band “self-titled” album 50th anniversary edition is out in November! (Bob Clearmountain 5.1 Mix!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I look at things similar to Jon Urban.
At this point in my life, I'm not concerned too much with price but whether I want the release and the bona vides.
I accept that I have to pay for a bunch of stuff that I'll never use like vinyl or 7 inchers.
I'm ok with that.
If there's is something in the set I won't be able to get anywhere else & listen to, i.e., enjoy.
I accept that that is the reality for certain lables & releases.
The fact that we can buy them is paramount in my mind.

I guess I look at things similar to Jon Urban.
At this point in my life, I'm not concerned too much with price but whether I want the release and the bona vides.
I accept that I have to pay for a bunch of stuff that I'll never use like vinyl or 7 inchers.
I'm ok with that.
If there's is something in the set I won't be able to get anywhere else & listen to, i.e., enjoy.
I accept that that is the reality for certain lables & releases.
The fact that we can buy them is paramount in my mind.

A sane approach with caveats. Since VINYL actually dominates this set, IMO, it should be housed separately as vinyl purists are NOT usually into digital nor 5.1 remixes. And of course, the saner approach would be to offer the 5.1 separately as a BD~A disc which would probably result in increased sales....since the disc authoring and pressings already exist. Even though NO ONE is forcing you to buy it, it somewhat reeks of extortion: you specifically ONLY want the 5.1 remix or VINYL ....you HAVE TO SPRING for the whole enchilada! And quite frankly, this ONE SIZE FITS ALL APPROACH reeks of Corporate GREED!

Abbey Road was a model release and although it will probably never be available as a stand alone BD~A, at least the vinyl portion was afforded a separate release.

Last edited:
A sane approach with caveats. Since VINYL actually dominates this set, IMO, it should be housed separately as vinyl purists are NOT usually into digital nor 5.1 remixes. And of course, the saner approach would be to offer the 5.1 separately as a BD~A disc which would probably result in increased sales....since the disc authoring and pressings already exist. Even though NO ONE is forcing you to buy it, it somewhat reeks of extortion: you specifically ONLY want the 5.1 remix or VINYL ....you HAVE TO SPRING for the whole enchilada! And quite frankly, this ONE SIZE FITS ALL APPROACH reeks of Corporate GREED!

Abbey Road was a model release and although it will probably never be available as a stand alone BD~A, at least the vinyl portion was afforded a separate release.
I think we all know the score by now. But it's "The Band" and "Bob Clearmountain"!
The question is: Should I stay or should I go? (y)

I think we all know the score by now. But it's "The Band" and "Bob Clearmountain"!
The question is: Should I stay or should I go? (y)

Unless you want to be the top dog on your block for bragging rights, Pupster 🐶 , I'd hold tight and eventually the price will [or should] dip dramatically. I love the album too but it's so vinyl centric and I have piles of box sets with the black stuff that they're frankly just collecting dust. And all those outtakes, etc. REALLY?

In the end, it's your call. I'm WAITING.

See the source image

Should I ....or Shouldn't I?

One way to handle this "Deluxe Box Set" blues with the high price because of all the "other stuff" in the box other than the 5.1 disc, you could always copy the 5.1 disc to files or another disc, then resell the whole shebang on eBay, Discogs, or in the forum, and you would surely get takers (or sell it without the 5.1 which most people won't want anyway).

Me? Once I have the thing, I want to hold on to it - even if I never touch it again after ripping the 5.1 disc.

One way to handle this "Deluxe Box Set" blues with the high price because of all the "other stuff" in the box other than the 5.1 disc, you could always copy the 5.1 disc to files or another disc, then resell the whole shebang on eBay, Discogs, or in the forum, and you would surely get takers (or sell it without the 5.1 which most people won't want anyway).

Me? Once I have the thing, I want to hold on to it - even if I never touch it again after ripping the 5.1 disc.

Yup- I'm a lifer with my music, I keep thinking I might sell this or that, but I never do.

Yup- I'm a lifer with my music, I keep thinking I might sell this or that, but I never do.

Since you DO plan to invest in a turntable, Pupster, it might be worth your while to buy this set. But I did notice @ the IMPORTCD website that the 180g 'audiophile' vinyl edition is available for under $27 [but NOT the Clearmountain stereo remix]

https://www.importcds.com/the-band/602547206701

They keep banging us over the head with "deluxe boxes" to get the 5.1 mix, and I generally fold like a deck of cards and capitulate with a credit card, ready to go.

And to think 'in the old days' I used to pass up quad reels because they were $11-$12. I guess that's what time and age do to you.

PS - Wasn't the original LP on a Capitol rainbow label, or was it a green deal as shown about right out of the gate? I don't remember.
Never had a Rainbow. Early firsts have a green label except it's tan. Not many...

R-6377389-1417738636-9211.jpeg.jpg

I guess some were rainbows, this was a Capitol Records Club issue (you can tell by the "8"), but they probably used whatever labels they had on hand for the record club. Remember those Buy 1, get 10 free (but then have to take whatever they shipped you each month for a year - at FULL PRICE!!!) o_O

View attachment 43366
I never saw that. It must have been the clubs using up the old labels.

Back