The Band “self-titled” album 50th anniversary edition is out in November! (Bob Clearmountain 5.1 Mix!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These very expensive surround releases are a worrying trend.
If this is the financial model by which they can make these releases a reality I'm okay with it. History shows that once the mix has been created, they will find multiple ways to exploit it.

Sometimes, too many times the mix is created and there is no exploitation of it. Or a half-assed release in lossy low-res only.

But even if this is a bit expensive I agree it’s a great album and a classic recording released on a true high resolution disc.

With shipping for me, $102.13.
A good price if you haven't pre-order from Amazon.wherever yet.
I'll stick with my Amazon UK pre-order.

People have complained about re-mix\remaster release formats, prices etc., forever.
Look, right or wrong companies decide what release format, regardless of audio format, will give the best return on their investment.
At the least, The Band SDEs have chosen premier pros to handle the tapes & release in the highest resolution formats.

Bands like The Beatles, which in reality no band is like The Beatles, can release in whatever format they choose & it will sell gobs.
The Band while a revered, excellent band will never sell in Beatle numbers.
XTC another well revered band, has separate Digital & LP releases, they likely make a very modest return on them.
No less worthy than any band, the audience is miniscule in comparison.
4AD took another route and released an absolute stunner with No Other.
JHC, look at it. Multiple hi-res, surround discs, vinyl, etc., etc., etc.
To me it's worth getting simply for the care lavished upon it.

All are Labors of Love.
I have to respect that.

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger- hate the price; but love the music- arrrrrrggg!!!!
TOMBS again! :whistle: - I'm sure the government is building plenty of infrastructure from the internet taxes.
I sincerely hope others here can get it cheaper waiting- really, I won't mind.
They even say it's been shipped - :unsure:

the band.JPG

Pulled the trigger- hate the price; but love the music- arrrrrrggg!!!!
TOMBS again! :whistle: - I'm sure the government is building plenty of infrastructure from the internet taxes.
I sincerely hope others here can get it cheaper waiting- really, I won't mind.
They even say it's been shipped - :unsure:

View attachment 43679

Well IDK, USPS tracking says shipped also, didn't know it would be released already, anybody know?
Hope it's the right set.
  • Oct 24, 2019
  • 1:57pm
  • PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
  • WARRENDALE, PA 15095

Well IDK, USPS tracking says shipped also, didn't know it would be released already, anybody know?
Hope it's the right set.
  • Oct 24, 2019
  • 1:57pm

• PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
  • WARRENDALE, PA 15095
:poop:
Well this week is a bust for me also it appears, @4-earredwonder, I just got my The Band 50th box set in; and come to find out "I" screwed up big time and instead ordered Music From Big Pink (thankfully I didn't have that one either yet.) But I guess I hood winked myself into thinking this was Brown - Ha Ha - yeah it's brown alright, guess I'm human after all.
Yup - Talking Heads - all over again! :poop: :poop:

:poop:
Well this week is a bust for me also it appears, @4-earredwonder, I just got my The Band 50th box set in; and come to find out "I" screwed up big time and instead ordered Music From Big Pink (thankfully I didn't have that one either yet.) But I guess I hood winked myself into thinking this was Brown - Ha Ha - yeah it's brown alright, guess I'm human after all.
Yup - Talking Heads - all over again! :poop: :poop:

More like "SQUAWKING HEADS,' Pupster. Well, Music From Big Pink is EXCELLENT and well priced unlike the new Vinyl laden THE BAND mega boxset.

My friend Andy once made a student film called "BUNNY...." Whenever he got flustered he bit the head off a chocolate bunny!

Last edited:
Well Dumbass Poopster still has the painful task of getting this one ordered. Yes I want it, but I'm cringing at the price (OK, so I'm a bit of a tight wad!) I think I'll wait till Black Friday/Cyber Monday and see if a deal shows up. 🤞
But there just might be a chance it's one of those that sells out as fast as a Popeye's Chicken sandwich!

sold out.jpg

Back