The Band - Music From Big Pink (50th Anniversary CD/Blu-Ray/2LP/7" Deluxe Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Out on August 31, 2018
https://www.amazon.com/Music-Big-Pink-50th-Anniversary/dp/B07DVGLWLP/

91kYCGpdEML._SL1500_.jpg

Oh boy...despite all the vinyl I will never use....the Bob(Clearmountain) and Bob(Ludwig) show works for me....I love THE WEIGHT....classic rock song...I think the vaults are going to start to empty out...the record companies see the disc medium reaching the end and they want to get these releases out...another release that came out of nowhere....not a peep leaked out on this one...

I've just pre ordered from Amazon UK...after checkout to the US $69.91 pounds HERE…I would jump on this now and you can cancel later if you want...

Your post confused me as I thought it was actually going to be $69.91 USD from amazon.co.uk but I realized it’s 69.91 UK pounds, which is $91.86 USD
I really want this release, cause I love Bob Clearmountain’s 5.1 Surround mixes, but I think the price for the amount of content is too steep right now.
If it ever gets to around $75, then I’ll probably jump on it, but for now, I think it’s a pass, which is a shame cause I’m sure this will be an amazing disc.

What’s the matter with Universal?! They used to be one of the biggest supporters of single disc Blu-Ray audio releases, and now since 2017, every 5.1 release is just in a damn box set!

:mad:

Your post confused me as I thought it was actually going to be $69.91 USD from amazon.co.uk but I realized it’s 69.91 UK pounds, which is $91.86 USD
I really want this release, cause I love Bob Clearmountain’s 5.1 Surround mixes, but I think the price for the amount of content is too steep right now.
If it ever gets to around $75, then I’ll probably jump on it, but for now, I think it’s a pass, which is a shame cause I’m sure this will be an amazing disc.

What’s the matter with Universal?! They used to be one of the biggest supporters of single disc Blu-Ray audio releases, and now since 2017, every 5.1 release is just in a damn box set!

Well the actual conversion rate you stated seldom is used on amazon....they incorporate some bank charges in the conversion...which I guess is only fair...they have to deal with banks...it's usually only a few bucks...it's not so much the price that bothers me...it's the inclusion of vinyl...when you don't have a turntable it can be a PIA to deal with...let's say I want to rip the blu ray and then sell the set...you have to deal with the vinyl...sometimes it's bad from the very start...even when new...so you sell it to someone who expects the vinyl to be pristine and in good working order....and it's not....then you have a problem....if I keep the set the vinyl sometimes warps...it's happened to me before...so there is that...

On the other side of the coin...since Bullmoose is right around a $100...and amazon uk is around $95...my best guess is that importcds will come in somewhere in the $80s....now when you consider that the DVD-A in like new condition is hard to find and will run you in the $80+(if you can find one) area...the price isn't really out of line for a hi rez title...plus it's in the "metrics favorable" format....I guess it just depends on how much you like the content..

What happened to Universal is that they tried the individual route and for a variety of reasons...it didn't work....the other thing is that these companies realize that with the disc medium coming to an end they better get these releases out or end up with nothing...

Coincidentally, I just picked up The Last Waltz DVD-audio a few weeks ago, which contains a few wonderful surround mixes; but if this was really recorded on 4-track... Oi, I'm going to have to wait for some reviews. And it seems that these expensive boxsets are just going to be the standard from here on out when it comes to 5.1, unfortunately...

Coincidentally, I just picked up The Last Waltz DVD-audio a few weeks ago, which contains a few wonderful surround mixes; but if this was really recorded on 4-track... Oi, I'm going to have to wait for some reviews. And it seems that these expensive boxsets are just going to be the standard from here on out when it comes to 5.1, unfortunately...

This has been my "go to " disc

Any substantial difference from the blu-ray concert film?

I haven't done a back-to-back of the standard concert 5.1, but nothing really stood out to me. Both sound excellent. From what I've read in the polls here, they're essentially the same 5.1 mix. Not sure of any sonic differences.

The big difference, however, is the inclusion of the very discreetly mixed sound-stage tracks tacked on to the end of the DVD-audio. These tracks are not available on the blu-ray. Worth the price alone; they're beautiful. But only like 4 or 5 tracks...

I snagged my copy off of ebay for $25, shipped, just a few weeks ago. There's also some on discogs in the $45 range. So they are available at a fair price, if you're patient.

Back