The BBB Featuring Bernie Dresel – 2 BD-A releases with Auro-3D and 5.1 mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haikubass

From the band's facebook:
September 4, 2018 is the release date for the new studio album Bern Bern Bern, recorded at Capitol Studios in Hollywood by The BBB Featuring Bernie Dresel. The 96-kHz/24-bit Hi-Res recordings were mixed at Galaxy Studios in Mol, Belgium.

The CD and Pure Audio Blu-ray Disc, featuring a 96-kHz/24-bit Auro-3D Native 9.1 soundtrack as well as LPCM 2.0, LPCM 5.1 and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 96-kHz/24-bit versions, will be available through CD Baby and Amazon. Stereo and multi-channel 5.1 versions will be available through iTunes, CD-Baby, Amazon, Acoustic Sounds and iTRAX.

Bern Bern Bern is the second album release of the jazz orchestra The BBB Featuring Bernie Dresel, and the first studio recording following the 2016 live recording release Live N’ Bernin’ (The SuperDisc Auro-3D® 9.1 Pure Audio Blu-ray Disc DigiPak).
AFAIK, there are no pre-order links yet, but the live album – with completely different playlist – is available from Amazon or ImportCDs, or as a FLAC 96/24 download from Acoustic Sounds.

BBBpromo.jpg

Last edited:
BIO:
Bernie Dresel’s jazz orchestra, The BBB, has earned a reputation as one of Los Angeles’ most exciting large jazz ensembles, if not on the planet. It is one of the most innovative and original hard-swinging large jazz ensembles ever. The BBB provides potent testimony to the sheer exhilaration of big band jazz...a combination of intense swing and fiery soloing, as well as tight ensemble playing, powered by Bernie Dresel’s extraordinary drumming talents.The BBB is comprised of 16 seasoned pros on the Los Angeles studio scene. Populated by LA’s finest players, The BBB delivers a contemporary, highly original sound featuring the witty, intricate, and hard-swinging compositions of established and up-and-coming composers and arrangers. The music and delivery of The BBB’s music is nothing less than astonishing, as this album attests. The sound has a contemporary, dynamic, and hard-swinging energy, with a focused edge to it that is like no other jazz orchestra, though, at times, reminiscent of Buddy Rich’s ensembles. The instrumental makeup is unique in that there is no piano but jazz/rockin’ acoustic and electric guitar and keyboards instead, in addition to four trumpets, four trombones, five saxophones, and upright acoustic slap bass and drums and percussion. For this studio session, Bernie added snips of keyboard, played by Jeff Babko. When people hear Bernie’s BBB, the first thing that hits them is its energy and intensity.

At the helm of The BBB is jazz drummer extraordinaire Bernie Dresel. Bernie is the first-call drummer and percussionist on the Hollywood stage for motion picture and television soundtracks. Dresel’s rendering style is nothing less than exciting, driven by one of the most accomplished jazz drummers in the world.
Established in 2014, The BBB plays monthly at jazz clubs in the Los Angeles metropolitan area.

Prior to forming his own jazz orchestra, Bernie backed Maynard Ferguson, the Brian Setzer Orchestra, and Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band. Bernie served 15 years for both Setzer and Goodwin. He has been the drummer on numerous Brian Setzer Grammy Award®-winning recordings and prior to forming his own orchestra on every recording that Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band had released, including the Grammy Award winners.
Bernie’s credits with respect to motion picture and television soundtracks represent “A” movie projects and such television work as The Simpsons and Family Guy, and “A” motion picture soundtracks such as the recent Incredibles 2.

Bernie Dresel has been one of the busiest studio and live musicians in the world as both a drummer and percussionist since moving to Los Angeles in 1983 after graduating from the prestigious Eastman School of Music. He has traveled the world, occupying the coveted drum chair for Grammy Award-winning Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band since its inception in 1999. And also, for an overlapping 15 years (1992 to 2006), he was the drummer for the multi-Grammy Award-winning Brian Setzer Orchestra, selling close to four million records. Modern Drummer magazine’s readers’ poll named Bernie “Best Big Band Drummer” and Drum! Magazine has put him on their list of “53 Drummers Who Made a Difference in the ’90s” as well as honoring him with a Drummie® for Best Big Band Drummer. His complete list of motion picture and television credits is extensive, and are listed at www.thebbb-berniederesel.com.

BERN,BERN,BERN is a spectacular big band aural feast that is as far from the standard concoction as you can get...if you like brass, this is breathable brass gas for the soul. Bernie Dresel and Gary Reber have decided to stretch the laugh lines around your lips until you think maybe it was you blowing one of those horns...and Dresel has a surprise for you at the end (hint: he’s a drummer). The Los Angeles Clarinet Choir is also used to good effect and you never know where the next blast is coming from. I first listened in the base 9.1 AURO 3D and the next day listened to the DTS MASTER AUDIO 5.1 with assist from DOLBY SURROUND four on the ceiling and both were great. Another QQ member, Kal Rubinson also gave this a terrific review so check it out on line.

I have recently, for some mysterious reason, had my account thrust upon a frozen meat hook which prohibited me from partaking in my daily quadie sustenance; however I have been saved from starvation by one of the kind QQ gods of beneficence. Of course I sought an earthly intermediary and for now some measure of joy has returned to life. I am ever thankful to that QQ god.

Dwight

The BBB has an authoring error; no bottom end whatsoever. There's no music in the rears either; just ambience. Real shame because the music is great.

I am so sorry you have a defective disc, I hope you returned it and got a refund, because when Bernie hits his "beast" as he calls it, on a proper disc, it is chest thumping. This is a sensational sounding disc, with proper authority in the low end. The saxophone and trombone sections show up in the rears along with sound effects and drums.. The sound from my disc is quite like that described in the liner notes, and produced with great clarity, particularly on a system capable of very high dynamic output.

I am so sorry you have a defective disc, I hope you returned it and got a refund, because when Bernie hits his "beast" as he calls it, on a proper disc, it is chest thumping. This is a sensational sounding disc, with proper authority in the low end. The saxophone and trombone sections show up in the rears along with sound effects and drums.. The sound from my disc is quite like that described in the liner notes, and produced with great clarity, particularly on a system capable of very high dynamic output.

Do you mean Bern or BBB? BBB has nothing in rears whatsoever.

Perhaps I can add a little clarity to the discussion. “Live N’ Bernin’” is a live nightclub recording in Auro 3D & 5.1 DTS HD MA. It has a warm, but not overwhelming bass response - with a live audience and ambience in the rears surround mix. “Bern Bern Bern” is the most recent recording. Recorded at Capitol Studios in Los Angeles, it has a wonderfully discrete surround mix - I would go as far to say, one of the finest surround Big Band releases I own. There are as far as I can tell no authoring issues with either title but the studio release certainly shines brighter. Both are stellar recordings IMO.

Back