The Beatles - Abbey Road 50th Anniversary (5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While we focus on the widows (Yoko and Olivia), I wonder if the key to getting George’s music in surround is actually getting Dhani on board 🤔

5'7" Dhani Harrison [net worth 2017: $275M], the only son of George and Olivia Harrison and a musician himself would probably be the ideal conduit in overseeing his late father's musical estate. With the Beatles 5.1/Atmos remixes, John Lennon's Imagine in surround, a few Ringo and Paul Surround releases and really nothing from George but a poorly remixed mch SACD LIVE IN JAPAN ...... the TIME HAS COME.

See the source image

HERE COMES THE SON

Last edited:
5'7" Dhani Harrison [net worth 2017: $275M], the only son of George and Olivia Harrison and a musician himself would probably be the ideal conduit in overseeing his late father's musical estate. With the Beatles 5.1/Atmos remixes, John Lennon's Imagine in surround, a few Ringo and Paul Surround releases and really nothing from George but a poorly remixed mch SACD LIVE IN JAPAN ...... the TIME HAS COME.
Well "Something" would be better than nothing.

See the source image

HERE COMES THE SON

See the source image

HERE COMES THE SON

Wasn't he in charge of the "remastered" releases? I found The Apple Years box sound to be awful. Like no one listened to any of this before putting it out. No doubt it's time, but if they actually consider it I hope someone who cares and is able will be in charge this time...

Wasn't he in charge of the "remastered" releases? I found The Apple Years box sound to be awful. Like no one listened to any of this before putting it out. No doubt it's time, but if they actually consider it I hope someone who cares and is able will be in charge this time...

Nah, you're probably thinking of that other Dhani

See the source image

MY SWEET LORD

Last edited:

See the source image

HERE COMES THE SON
$275M just for being born... I wonder if that also includes his father’s guitar collection.

With all the talk of Dolby Atmos occurring on this thread I thought maybe now is a good time to update my receiver. Something between advancing years and not keeping track of technology puts me in a dodgy situation. It seems all new receivers come with HDCP 2.2 and this will limit what other hardware that can be used with it. I'm not sure if it's just 4K stuff so I need to keep digging. Some reports are that if your telly isn't compliant than you get no picture? Presently I don't care too much about 4K but I wonder whether there may be a problem caused by the modern mastering of the AR bluray? Wonderful! Although I need to keep exploring, I'm yet to find a device that does Atmos and True HD. Same with the DTS formats or is it that I'm just not willing to spend a huge amount of money? I was hoping to Resolve this before Abbey Road arrives but seems to be ever more unlikely

There's a bunch of different questions here, but I'll try to tackle them in a way that makes sense:
1. The AR Bluray will not be in 4K, and I don't believe that HDCP 2.2 affects standard bluray playback (My 10-year old PS3 works with my HDCP 2.2 receiver).
2. Any receiver that can decode Atmos should be able to decode TrueHD, and likely DTS:X and DTS-HD Master.
3. With Atmos and DTS:X being object-based sound formats, what matters is how the receiver decodes the Atmos signal (or TrueHD signal) and outputs it to your speakers. There are many possible Atmos set-ups (5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, 7.1.4, etc), and the receiver needs to be calibrated (usually with a built-in program and optimizer microphone) to know where to place sounds. As non-Atmos TrueHD is a channel based format, you have options such as having the receiver interpolate the 7.1 signal for output to 5.1.4 speakers (for example), or you can eliminate the height speakers and just have direct 5.1.

I have a 5.1.4 system, and have found my receiver to do a pretty good job taking a 5.1 signal and placing some material in the height speakers using either the Dolby Digital Surround or DTS Neural X modes.

It's interesting how Lennon's Imagine was also produced using Spector's (in)famous recording style, and yet that deluxe set Yoko put out has some uncanny moments... just not on the original release, but on the supplementary stuff. Perhaps there was a limitation due to the "Spectorization" that required that set be released in that manner in order to still be interesting to the surround community (lets face it, we'd have bitched if that original 5.1 remix was the only MC content). Even knowing that some tracks from ATMP would be "different", I would certainly welcome a similar treatment for George's albums.

And there is a lot of George's stuff beside ATMP that wasn't Spector related. Cloud 9 anyone?

With all the talk of Dolby Atmos occurring on this thread I thought maybe now is a good time to update my receiver. Something between advancing years and not keeping track of technology puts me in a dodgy situation. It seems all new receivers come with HDCP 2.2 and this will limit what other hardware that can be used with it. I'm not sure if it's just 4K stuff so I need to keep digging. Some reports are that if your telly isn't compliant than you get no picture? Presently I don't care too much about 4K but I wonder whether there may be a problem caused by the modern mastering of the AR bluray? Wonderful! Although I need to keep exploring, I'm yet to find a device that does Atmos and True HD. Same with the DTS formats or is it that I'm just not willing to spend a huge amount of money? I was hoping to Resolve this before Abbey Road arrives but seems to be ever more unlikely
Your receiver won't stop working, and you can still connect HDMI devices together and they will still work. It's all backwards compatible, but in the case of 4k, the non hdmi 2.2 devices won't pass the 4k signal. it'll down-convert.

There's a bunch of different questions here, but I'll try to tackle them in a way that makes sense:
1. The AR Bluray will not be in 4K, and I don't believe that HDCP 2.2 affects standard bluray playback (My 10-year old PS3 works with my HDCP 2.2 receiver).
2. Any receiver that can decode Atmos should be able to decode TrueHD, and likely DTS:X and DTS-HD Master.
3. With Atmos and DTS:X being object-based sound formats, what matters is how the receiver decodes the Atmos signal (or TrueHD signal) and outputs it to your speakers. There are many possible Atmos set-ups (5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, 7.1.4, etc), and the receiver needs to be calibrated (usually with a built-in program and optimizer microphone) to know where to place sounds. As non-Atmos TrueHD is a channel based format, you have options such as having the receiver interpolate the 7.1 signal for output to 5.1.4 speakers (for example), or you can eliminate the height speakers and just have direct 5.1.

I have a 5.1.4 system, and have found my receiver to do a pretty good job taking a 5.1 signal and placing some material in the height speakers using either the Dolby Digital Surround or DTS Neural X modes.
Thanks for the excellent reply. I appreciate it

8 days Blackbird or maybe one day we will get a Bluebird

With our luck Goona, felon Phil Spector will be paroled in 2020 just in time to remix LET IT BE in DOLBY ATMOS WALL OF SOUND and release the film, 4K remastered from the original camera negative in VHS! Phil Spector

Thankfully, we have LET IT BE... NAKED! 🤣mercifully, freed of the excesses of jagged little Phil!

See the source image

Last edited:
Back