Music DVD Poll The Mission - The Final Chapter

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please rate the DVD-V of "The Mission - The Final Chapter"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 2 - Poor mix, Sonics & Content

• 1 - Waste of time - forget it

• Total voters

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
This one is a new release from the farewell show at London's Shepherds Bush Empire from Leeds band The Mission.
3 disc set, with 5.1 mixes in both Dolby Digital and full bandwidth DTS.

Tracklisting:
Disc 1:
Amelia
Hands Across The Ocean
Into The Blue
Paradise (will shine like the moon tonight)
Butterfly on a wheel
Sea Of Love
Grapes Of Wrath/Lovely
Bird Of Passage
Belief
Hungry As The Hunter
Deliverance
Like A Child Again
Mr Pleasant

Disc 2:
Like A Hurricane
Over The Hills And Far Away
Bridges Burning
Dance On Glass
Stay With Me
Island In A Stream
Love Me To Death
Dream On
Afterglow
Fabienne
Severina
Wake (rsv)
Forevermore
Shelter From The Storm

Disc 3:
Various tour footage & performances from other shows

Attachments

• Mission.jpg
    Mission.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
I thought about adding this review to the main thread, but that would not be right so here goes.
The background to this release is essentially the final ever tour from The Mission, after a 23-year period starting off in 1985 when Wayne Hussey & Craig Adams split from the Sisters Of Mercy during the sessions for the latters "First & Last & Always" album.
They released 8 studio albums and a couple of sanctioned compilations (The first one being "The First Chapter" which comprised the early 12" singles released before the true first album called "Gods Own Medicine") plus a couple of cracking live albums & a BBC Session compilation.
Wayne decided to finally call it a day late last year, and left us with the final studio album "God Is A Bullet" (sadly no surround mix) and the farewell tour this year.
The plan was that when the London shows (at the end of the tour) happened, they would perform for 4 nights straight, and on each night they would play an entire album.
The first night saw "The First Chapter", the second one was "Gods Own Medicine", the third "Children" (and if ever an album should have been remixed in 5.1 then this is surely it) and the fourth was to be "Carved in Sand". Naturally, it mutated and Carved In Sand also had material from "Grains of Sand" - a second album released the same year that had the 10 tracks which were left off from the "Carved in Sand" release, and they also did a second set of their favourite songs from all periods.
This DVD is from that final night, and has over 2 1/2 hours from the main show plus a third disc with a tour diary, rehearsal footage, extracts from the last ever AFter SHow party & various tracks performed at other shows that were not done on this night at the Empire.

Sound quality & mix.
If you have heard the various CD's from these nights - and there are 5 of them (The First Chapter, Gods Own Medicine, Children, Carved in Sand & Live and Last) then put them right out of your mind immediately as these sound - to me - dreadful. The kick drum sounds like a basketball being bounced, and the overall mix is terrible.
The DVD however is a completely different story.
Whilst the surround mix is perhaps not as aggressive as I like it, it is still done superbly (mix engineer was Tom Dalgery (?) and it was produced by Wayne Hussey & George Allen) and has plenty of punch & power, delivering a true representation of a superb live band in all their power. Naturally, the DTS stream really helps & I am very happy to see this included.
For fans, this really is a "must buy" release, and I can highly recommend it even to non-fans (although it has to be said that The Mission are one of those bands you either love or loathe, it seems). Most of the material on offer is original - don't be fooled by titles like "Over The Hills & Far Away", as it is not a cover of the Led Zep track of the same name - but the few covers played are old favourites of the band & fans such as Neil Young's "Lijke A Hurricane", The Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows" (which was awesome on the 12" release back in the 80's), The Kinks' "Mr Pleasant" and Iggy Pop's "1969". There is also a nod to Aerosmith, with a great re-working of "Dream On" (from the "Children" album again, which was produced by John Paul Jones & descrbed as "The Best AlbumLed Zeppelin never made" by critics at the time).

This is a great release, with a superbly mixed surround track that is IMHO right up there with any live album from anyone.
Highly recommended.

I guess not many Mission fans on QQ!

I got this from Netflx awhile back, it was pretty stellar. I'm not overly fond of live recordings of songs that I love the studio cuts of...but there are exceptions. And this is one of them. The track listing is fantastic.

I'd pay loads of money for a surround mix of Children. I have to listen to Tower of Strength at least once per week, still...after 30 years.

Whilst the surround mix is perhaps not as aggressive as I like it, it is still done superbly (mix engineer was Tom Dalgery (?) and it was produced by Wayne Hussey & George Allen) and has plenty of punch & power, delivering a true representation of a superb live band in all their power. Naturally, the DTS stream really helps & I am very happy to see this included.

Neil

I see this disc is not expensive, but not cheap either, so I’d love a bit more info before taking the plunge. It’s not totally clear from your comments whether this is a ‘good ambient’ or a ‘slightly disappointing discrete’ mix. Basically, are there separate instruments in the rears - you know what I mean!

You’re right, that 12” with TNK is great. (Severina was the A-side.) Love that they called it the ‘Amphetamix’. It also has a fantastic unlisted track on it, which is now on the reissued CD of The First Chapter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTo-KFdoE6

Thanks

Neil

I see this disc is not expensive, but not cheap either, so I’d love a bit more info before taking the plunge. It’s not totally clear from your comments whether this is a ‘good ambient’ or a ‘slightly disappointing discrete’ mix. Basically, are there separate instruments in the rears - you know what I mean!

You’re right, that 12” with TNK is great. (Severina was the A-side.) Love that they called it the ‘Amphetamix’. It also has a fantastic unlisted track on it, which is now on the reissued CD of The First Chapter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTo-KFdoE6

Thanks
I cant answer any of your questions, but the thread from Mr Wilkes is 10 years old and he doesn't seem to post much lately.

I cant answer any of your questions, but the thread from Mr Wilkes is 10 years old and he doesn't seem to post much lately.
Thanks, I didn't look at the dates. I've just looked at his profile and it says he was last seen nearly 3 years ago, Jan 2017. Still, he's busy actually creating surround content so I won't complain!

Back