The Next XTC Surround Sound Release...The Complete Dukes Of Stratosphear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy (as Sir John Johns) sheds some light on the challenges of reproducing the sound effects heard on the original:

How did it feel going back with Steven Wilson and re-examining all that stuff?
Sir John Johns:
John Leckie feared we'd lose a lot of the sound effects we had, which were spun in live at the mix. But we did find that some were spun in during recording, so they were on tape. Those that were spun in live we had to go and hunt out similar sound effects – or, in a couple of cases, go and find exactly the same one because they were from standard BBC libraries. So it wasn't as difficult as John Leckie and I feared.
So there's a little bit of faking going on…
Sir John Johns:
There is but you'd be hard pressed to discover it. Steven Wilson is very smart and knows how they're doing those sounds. He didn't have access to three tape machines like we did to make genuine tape phasing, so he auditioned loads of plug-ins until he found one that sounded just like real tape phasing.
Are you pleased with what Steven's done?
Sir John Johns:
Yes, I am. It's a bit perverse because we were trying to sound like it was straight out of 67. I thought if it gets digitally remixed and done in surround sound, which they didn't really have in 67 (it was at the experimental quad stage), it's not going to sound genuinely of the time. But I think what makes it more genuinely of the time is the songs and the recording techniques. The fact that they are spread around the room at the same relative volume levels doesn't change the inherent width of the material.
Psurroundabout Ride sounds the same, it's just all around your head – and the Dukes, ironically, would have loved that. They'd have said, "Yeah, spin it round, get it going faster round your head." The fact that it's not captured on tape but captured digitally means it's clearer, so some of the dirty varnish is by necessity missing. It's more revealed, but that has its thrill as well. It's like every frame of a film being cleaned up: "Wow, I never noticed that detail!" There is delight in the revelation of the higher quality.

Full interview here:
https://xtcbumperbookoffunforboysan...10/andy-partridge-on-psurroundabout-ride.html

This is the signature I got
Dukes Sig.jpg

I've only managed to listen to 25 o'clock today, and the surround bouncing tick tock is great. I'd never heard these albums before and just going on the 1st track I think I'm go to love the music.

.........….and I had the same signature but without the arrow heads, are they all unique? or got simpler the more that were signed?

Like Duncan I've only had a chance to sample the first few tracks but the surround mix is terrific with stuff placed all round the room. I particularly like the effects on 25 O'clock with its sound of the early Pink Floyd. Another winner. :LB:LB:LB
I think 25 o'clock is more like "The Electric Prunes" -"Too Much To Dream (Last Night)" than anything Pink Floyd has done.

and 25 oclock is one of my favourite XTC tracks...along with Vanishing girl, and about 28 other songs.

Also waiting in the colonies for my delivery from The Shed.

Question for those of you who have already received your copy.....

Is there any video content on the disc? All of the other XTC titles have had their respective promo videos included, but the press release for this one hasn't mentioned any video content. I love the "Mole From the Ministry" video, would really hope that it's included.

And how about some reviews? The poll is up! Would love to know what y'all think!

Also waiting in the colonies for my delivery from The Shed.

Question for those of you who have already received your copy.....

Is there any video content on the disc? All of the other XTC titles have had their respective promo videos included, but the press release for this one hasn't mentioned any video content. I love the "Mole From the Ministry" video, would really hope that it's included.

And how about some reviews? The poll is up! Would love to know what y'all think!
No there is no video, there is 2019 5.1 in DTS-HD Master or LPCM, there is 2019 Stereo, Instumentals in stereo Original stereo and Demos in stereo.

Back